OTD 2003 - Beckham signs for Real Madrid

Beckham was excellent, could create something from nothing his passing and crossing was that good. His goal against greece was world class.

Danger Zone clearly has a chip on his shoulder. He doesn't really rate any English player ever it seems, with one possible exception being Gascoigne. Probably thinks Gerrard was overrated no doubt.

Didn't know he only won one trophy with Real. That's incredible given the team they had with Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo etc.

I'm sure I remembering being in Spain when everyone thought Beckham was going to Barca but then they signed Ronaldinho instead and Beckham went to Real.

Agree with those who say his career is often overlooked due to the Beckham-the celeb, however at his peak he was superb. Also, after Man Utd and Real Madrid what else is there to prove?

Good on him, seems like a good bloke.

That first season he went there Valencia won the league and the character they showed was brilliant, they were shafted at the Bernabeu in Feb and came back to win it well. Real were well behind them, still Benitez’s best achievement winning that league.

Robbery that night

Lol. I disagree with a lot of his takes but at least he has the baws to stand up to the garbage racist/far right patter when it bleeds into the bear bit

It's funny you'll see some saying he was overrated due to his celebrity status, yet others saying he was never given the credit he deserved because of it. I don't think you play that many times for England, as well as real Madrid, man utd, AC Milan, and psg without being a really really good footballer.

Didn't The Goalie say in an interview or book that when he was at Man U, Beckham asked him to stay back after training so that he could practice an hour and a half of free kicks into Goram?

I like Beckham but he's a level below the best midfielders of the time; as well as Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard, there's Keane, Vierra, Zidane, Figo, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Pirlo and Modric etc, etc.

How good would Lampard, Keane, Vierra or Iniesta be at hitting a ball when running full pelt and consistently landing it on the forward’s head, toe or into their path depending on the players’ preference?
Or to be willing to drop back and cover their rightback going on a run and securing the position?

Beckham was a different type of player to the ones you mention but saying he was a level below them because he didn’t do what they did is ridiculous.

Didn't The Goalie say in an interview or book that when he was at Man U, Beckham asked him to stay back after training so that he could practice an hour and a half of free kicks into Goram?
Yep, it’s often overlooked the amount of work he put in to his game.
As is the sheer graft he had, Alex Ferguson often talked about him as being one of the fittest players he ever had, could run all day and tracked back constantly. That’s on top of his unbelievable range of passing and crossing.
Was fond of a few spectacular goals as well.

He was an unbelievable player. One of the best in the world when he played.

His ability on the ball was incredible, you will struggle to see a better passer/crosser of the ball, but one thing about him was his work rate, he never stopped.

he used to spend hours after training practising his crossing and long passes, to make sure thateven when he was running on empty in a game he could find one more cross or free kick.

He has his knockers, but he’s also an incredibly clever business man, his move to the US might have been a bit early in terms of his playing career, but the financial package he got from it aA crazy money. The branding and now a club in Miami.
I actually coached one of his sons when I lived in the states, he always cane across extremely friendly and willing to chat. Victoria in the other hand....

I know it’s not Real Madrid, but I’ve always said that’s one of the most underrated goals I’ve ever seen. How are you doing that first time without breaking your stride even a tiny bit?

Unbelievable.

How good would Lampard, Keane, Vierra or Iniesta be at hitting a ball when running full pelt and consistently landing it on the forward’s head, toe or into their path depending on the players’ preference?
Or to be willing to drop back and cover their rightback going on a run and securing the position?

Beckham was a different type of player to the ones you mention but saying he was a level below them because he didn’t do what they did is ridiculous.

Beckham was an inferior central midfielder to all the above.

He was a high-quality and very effective right-side midfielder for sure - but still not as good as Figo.

Garrard was as good as Beckham when he played out on the right - and a far better all round midfielder.

De Bruyne, who occupies the same part of the pitch as Beckham is two levels better.

Rolls Royce of a player. Underrated because of his celeb status.

His free-kick, crossing, long passes etc were the best around at the time. Loved watching him play.

I like Beckham but he's a level below the best midfielders of the time; as well as Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard, there's Keane, Vierra, Zidane, Figo, Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso, Pirlo and Modric etc, etc.

You can’t compare a right winger with players who played in completely different positions, Figo aside.

Beckham was the best right winger of his generation.

If you’d have said when he left Man U that he would only win one major trophy and play in one tie past the second round of the champions league that decade you’d have been laughed at.

Not think only winning one trophy in 5 years at Real Madrid was a letdown? That first season was bad there, remember when they went out to Monaco Real were all over the place. Absolutely superb at Man U but after Club wise was a bit of a letdown really, amazing he only played in one tie past the CL second round when he left Man U.

He played in the quarter finals for both Real Madrid and PSG. Also won Ligue 1 with PSG.

He was at Real Madrid for 4 seasons rather than 5. Them being a complete basket case of a club during his time there wasn't really down to Beckham.

I still remember around 97 or 98 when I was about 18, a guy used to mince about the centre of Killie pretending to be Beckham. A club called Expo was the place to be back then and this guy came in, fake tan, blond middle shed and a Sarong!!

Did you pull him :D

Played for some of the biggest clubs in football.
Great player, who probably doesn’t get the full credit he deserves due to who he is.

You can’t compare a right winger with players who played in completely different positions, Figo aside.

Beckham was the best right winger of his generation.

Your post mentions a right winger better than him. He wasn't better than Figo but there's no shame in that really.

Beckham was an inferior central midfielder to all the above.

He was a high-quality and very effective right-side midfielder for sure - but still not as good as Figo.

Garrard was as good as Beckham when he played out on the right - and a far better all round midfielder.

De Bruyne, who occupies the same part of the pitch as Beckham is two levels better.

In an England shirt Beckham was far better than Gerrard no matter what position Gerrard played. The likes of Gerrard and Lampard never quite performed for England as they did every week for their clubs, but along with Ashley Cole, Beckham was someone who brought their club form to the International stage.

Fantastic player. Looking back now probably undervalued as to what he brought to teams. Best crosser of a ball I have seen, fantastic passing range, scored goals and worked like a trojan to improve his game. His work rate was phenomenal as well. He also won over the Madrid fans which is a difficult thing to do.

Your post mentions a right winger better than him. He wasn't better than Figo but there's no shame in that really.

Exactly this. I don’t get why some people seem to insist that someone can’t be great because they they weren’t as good as one or maybe two others. Figo was even better than Beckham. But David Beckham was still absolutely world-class regardless of Luis Figo.

More than just a fancy hair cut, celebrity and free kick taker.

Ability to play a few positions on the park, could take a ball and deliver instantly - a great first touch. Also had it in his game to take the sting out of play, bring it down to his pace and retain possession.

He could play CM and dictate the pace and tempo of the game. Short pass, long pass, rarely wasted. He could hold up play from a central position and he could create.

If he didn't have a popstar life he would have been given a lot more credit for his footballing ability because he was awesome.

He played in the quarter finals for both Real Madrid and PSG. Also won Ligue 1 with PSG.

He was at Real Madrid for 4 seasons rather than 5. Them being a complete basket case of a club during his time there wasn't really down to Beckham.

Yes he played in the quarter finals that decade with Real Madrid once v Monaco in 2004. Won Lique 1 and played in CL Quarter Finals with PSG the decade after.

I said 5 years - 03,04,05,06,07. Joined July 2003 and left June 2007.

He will always be remembered for his time at Real Madrid because he wore number 23.

Last edited:
Yep, it’s often overlooked the amount of work he put in to his game.
As is the sheer graft he had, Alex Ferguson often talked about him as being one of the fittest players he ever had, could run all day and tracked back constantly. That’s on top of his unbelievable range of passing and crossing.
Was fond of a few spectacular goals as well.
I remember reading an article after he went to Milan that said the players weren't keen on him coming thinking it was all a PR stunt until they saw him in training and were instantly won over by his professionalism.

Yes he played in the quarter finals that decade with Real Madrid once v Monaco in 2004. Won Lique 1 and played in CL Quarter Finals with PSG the decade after.

He will always be remembered for his time at Real Madrid because he wore number 23.

I'd suggest he's more likely to be remembered in Madrid due to being binned by Capello in his final season and made to train with the kids but instead of sulking, getting his head down, working hard and forcing his way back into the team and playing a key role in them winning the league.

Also, I tend to look at what fellow pros say about players and Zidane, Ronado, Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos etc have all raved about how good Beckham was during his time in Madrid.

Good player but massively overrated due to his profile. Trading in a good portion of his career to be a celeb instead. Obviously his incredible set piece ability is what I always remember, that and daft haircuts.

I actually think its the opposite - he's underrated due to his celebrity profile. See post #2 for proof.

Fair enough, I assumed you meant the a decade from when he signed but you also said "amazing he only played in one tie past the CL second round when he left Man U. "

July 2003 to June 2007 is still 4 years in football terms rather than 5 though. He couldn't possibly win a major trophy for them in 2003.

Fair enough, I assumed you meant the a decade from when he signed but you also said "amazing he only played in one tie past the CL second round when he left Man U. "

July 2003 to June 2007 is still 4 years in football terms rather than 5 though. He couldn't possibly win a major trophy for them in 2003.

He couldn’t no.

End of the day when he left Man U he only won one major trophy in the next 4 seasons, absolutely incredible really. He could have been an absolute legend if he had gone Barcelona in the way Ronaldinho is regarded. He went to Real Madrid and wore number 23 and sold some shirts and then went to the USA. Great Footballer and Businessman but nowhere near a legend.

Mentioned before but my wee cousin played for LA at the same time as Beckham. On his first day training with the first team at 16 the first team had decided that wherever my cousin parked his car was going to be Beckham's personal spot and Beckham came in went absolutely Tonto at Jack and had him absolutely bricking it for the whole of the first session.

At the end they revealed it was a prank and DB was an absolute gent from there in out.

I absolutely loved him as a player and think if he was a wee bit quicker he would have been absolutely frightening.

I'd suggest he's more likely to be remembered in Madrid due to being binned by Capello in his final season and made to train with the kids but instead of sulking, getting his head down, working hard and forcing his way back into the team and playing a key role in them winning the league.

Also, I tend to look at what fellow pros say about players and Zidane, Ronado, Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos etc have all raved about how good Beckham was during his time in Madrid.

By some you are probably right by many not the case though. Also remembered for being part of a squad that never went past the CL second round in three seasons - massive failure for a Club like Real Madrid that I am afraid.

I actually think its the opposite - he's underrated due to his celebrity profile. See post #2 for proof.

Ignore Danger Zone. He’s sad enough to be anti-English and doesn’t rate anyone from there.

By some you are probably right by many not the case though. Also remembered for being part of a squad that never went past the CL second round in three seasons - massive failure for a Club like Real Madrid that I am afraid.

By many... You mean yourself? Lol. Don’t know anyone else ever rambling about what Real Madrid didn’t do when Beckham is mentioned.

Ignore Danger Zone. He’s sad enough to be anti-English and doesn’t rate anyone from there.

By many... You mean yourself? Lol.

Still waiting for your answer to the question I asked you earlier in the week about Sancho last season. Your constant waffle though is highlighting time and time again how clueless you are.

He couldn’t no.

End of the day when he left Man U he only won one major trophy in the next 4 seasons, absolutely incredible really. He could have been an absolute legend if he had gone Barcelona in the way Ronaldinho is regarded. He went to Real Madrid and wore number 23 and sold some shirts and then went to the USA. Great Footballer and Businessman but nowhere near a legend.

You can’t seriously believe the crap that you’re spouting?

You’re trolling, right? I get it. I should have got it sooner. My bad.

Another post where you have to resort to name calling! Think there have been about 20 this week. Best ignored.

Instead of crying about being called a numpty, which is hardly an insult, why not ask the question you mentioned? I’m more than happy to humour you.

Have you lost the plot?

And I’m still waiting for that question...

You’ve clearly plenty of time on your hands to find the question and reply to it on the Sancho Man United thread. We will leave it at that on here, decent thread this - some contrasting opinions, doesn’t need ruined by name calling.

You’ve clearly plenty of time on your hands to find the question and reply to it on the Sancho Man United thread. We will leave it at that on here, decent thread this - some contrasting opinions, doesn’t need ruined by name calling.

If you’re genuinely bothered about being called a numpty then I’m happy to take it back. For myself it’s hardly an insult. And being called ‘clueless’ is surely just as much an insult also.

And anyway, pretty much every is in agreement that Beckham was a wonderful player other than yourself to an extent, and also Danger Zone, who seems to be the village idiot.

Back