OTD 2003 - Beckham signs for Real Madrid

If you’re genuinely bothered about being called a numpty then I’m happy to take it back. For myself it’s hardly an insult. And being called ‘clueless’ is surely just as much an insult also.

And anyway, pretty much every is in agreement that Beckham was a wonderful player other than yourself to an extent, and also Danger Zone, who seems to be the village idiot.

Bored by you now, you called me clueless in your first post towards me on the Sancho thread by the way. Doesn’t offend me - just find it pathetic. Seen you do the same over and over again this week. At no point have I doubted the quality of Beckham as a Footballer either. Nothing more to say.

Bored by you now, you called me clueless in your first post towards me on the Sancho thread by the way. Doesn’t offend me - just find it pathetic. Seen you do the same over and over again this week. At no point have I doubted the quality of Beckham as a Footballer either. Nothing more to say.

Difference is I don’t throw my toys out the pram if someone calls me clueless. It’s just an opinion. You then got weird and starting quoting things I’ve said in a different thread that have absolutely nothing to do with David Beckham.

But sure, have a good ‘en.

Difference is I don’t throw my toys out the pram if someone calls me clueless. It’s just an opinion. You then got weird and starting quoting things I’ve said in a different thread that have absolutely nothing to do with David Beckham.

But sure, have a good ‘en.

Haha, not weird I just found it a laugh that you decided to let us all know that Ashley Cole clearly knows the game of Football!

Haha, not weird I just found it a laugh that you decided to let us all know that Ashley Cole clearly knows the game of Football!

In a thread where lots of people were saying what a good pundit he is... Yeah, how strange of me to make such a comment in a thread about Ashley Cole!

I’d say that your nurse has perhaps forgot to give you your meds is morning, but then you’ll probably probably take it very personally and report me.

By some you are probably right by many not the case though. Also remembered for being part of a squad that never went past the CL second round in three seasons - massive failure for a Club like Real Madrid that I am afraid.

It absolutely is a massive failure for Real Madrid. Beckham was a tiny part of that failure, a failure that lies at the door of the board at the time (led by current president Florentino Perez). Their transfer policy was horrendous - "Zidanes y Pavones" as it was termed. For every galactico signed, they'd also use a youth team player. The thing is, the youth team player weren't very good and they all seemed to be defenders!

It absolutely is a massive failure for Real Madrid. Beckham was a tiny part of that failure, a failure that lies at the door of the board at the time (led by current president Florentino Perez). Their transfer policy was horrendous - "Zidanes y Pavones" as it was termed. For every galactico signed, they'd also use a youth team player. The thing is, the youth team player weren't very good and they all seemed to be defenders!

Made the choice to go there, it was pretty well known what they were about compared to Barcelona. Still he broke shirt sales records, wasn’t a failure for what he was bought for!

A top drawer player. The club's and managers he played under suggest he was one of the very best in his position.

Little point in comparing Beckham to other midfield players at the time as he was unique - I haven't seen anyone cross a ball with pinpoint accuracy like he could and still haven't seen it since he hung up his boots. His workrate was phenomenal and as a club ambassador very well respected.

Ignore Danger Zone. He’s sad enough to be anti-English and doesn’t rate anyone from there.

By many... You mean yourself? Lol. Don’t know anyone else ever rambling about what Real Madrid didn’t do when Beckham is mentioned.

Lame accusation from a sad wee man who’s knowledge of football (modern and past) could evidently be written on the back of a postage stamp with a bingo pen. You’re just sooking on sour grapes after being shown up on your own thread.

He isn’t a level below them at all, he’s at the top table. Easily.

He isn’t on the level of most of the players mentioned there. He was an excellent player but it’s a real stretch to mention him alongside players like Pirlo and Iniesta. Also worth remembering he wasn’t always a regular at Madrid and Perez even remarked at the time on his impressive marketability, which I feel was always a big factor throughout Beckham’s career.

Lame accusation from a sad wee man who’s knowledge of football (modern and past) could evidently be written on the back of a postage stamp with a bingo pen. You’re just sooking on sour grapes after being shown up on your own thread.

Shown up by who?

Stay off the pop, eh?

Shown up by who?

Stay off the pop, eh?

More or less everyone you’ve engaged with. They’re all provided far more evidence to back up their claims than you have. You’ve used hypothetical nonsense and guesswork asserting that a player (Greenwood) would score more goals in another league (a league you clearly don’t watch either), as well as talking about what might have happened (“England should have been out of sight against Croatia”) rather than what actually happened (another fall at the first sign of a real quality side). The rest of it seems to be based on the fact Guardiola is talking up one of his own talents (virtually unheard of in the world of football management eh!).

Now you can bleat, name call and throw around playground insults, or you can keep going into that mentally challenged-like victim defence mode of accusing people of an agenda against a particular nationality because their opinion doesn’t align with yours. But what you should really do is grow up, and come back when you have some tangible evidence to support your claims, and then maybe you can debate the subject in a more reasonable manner.

More or less everyone you’ve engaged with. They’re all provided far more evidence to back up their claims than you have. You’ve used hypothetical nonsense and guesswork asserting that a player (Greenwood) would score more goals in another league (a league you clearly don’t watch either), as well as talking about what might have happened (“England should have been out of sight against Croatia”) rather than what actually happened (another fall at the first sign of a real quality side). The rest of it seems to be based on the fact Guardiola is talking up one of his own talents (virtually unheard of in the world of football management eh!).

Now you can bleat, name call and throw around playground insults, or you can keep going into that mentally challenged-like victim defence mode of accusing people of an agenda against a particular nationality because their opinion doesn’t align with yours. But what you should really do is grow up, and come back when you have some tangible evidence to support your claims, and then maybe you can debate the subject in a more reasonable manner.

You can put the Violin away now.

He was that good that England had to bring him back to save a qualifying campaign and that was an England squad that included Lampard and Gerrard

A wonderful football player that gets over looked because of his celebrity status

He was that good that England had to bring him back to save a qualifying campaign and that was an England squad that included Lampard and Gerrard

A wonderful football player that gets over looked because of his celebrity status

That’s the sad thing really, a brilliant player still yet playing in America - such a waste and for the most himself. He should have had an absolute bucketful of medals from his time after Man U. Granted he made more money but Football wise he underachieved with what he won after Man U.

Last edited:
Played at Ibrox for AC Milan in a friendly against Rangers. After the game he spoke for an hour to all of the media and radio and left no one out for an interview.
When he was finished the rest of the Milan party were on the team bus.
He gave Rangers the utmost respect that night.

Was at that game and he applauded the fans at every opportunity when going to take a corner.

Beckham was an inferior central midfielder to all the above.

He was a high-quality and very effective right-side midfielder for sure - but still not as good as Figo.

Garrard was as good as Beckham when he played out on the right - and a far better all round midfielder.

De Bruyne, who occupies the same part of the pitch as Beckham is two levels better.

Beckham was an out & out right sided midfielder - comparing him to someone who plays in the centre is futile. Claiming that Gerard was better on the right of midfield than Beckham is just silly.

Beckham was an out & out right sided midfielder - comparing him to someone who plays in the centre is futile. Claiming that Gerard was better on the right of midfield than Beckham is just silly.

Beckham played in the middle for RM and PSG.

I didn't say Gerrard was better - I said De Bruyne was better.

Early start on the bevvy is it Rab?

Back