Other Scottish teams you didn't mind before they all voted against us?

My brother went to Uni in Dundee during the mid 80s and was a big United fan. I was at the UEFA Cup Final against IFK at Tannadice in 1987 when Billy Thomson was their keeper. They had a great side then and I was very pleased as I watched Celtic beat us 4-2 at Ibrox on the last day of the 1982/83 season that United beat Dundee to win the league by 1 point. The thought of having them celebrate a title win at Ibrox would have been too much to bear (pun intended).

Hearts and Dundee United.

Only team I dont mind now are St Johnstone because my mate is a season ticket holder.

Alloa although to be honest there is a lot more to it than just their vote as to why I dont have much time for them

Whats the other stuff mate? I work with an Alloa fan and he seems fine. Never really says a bad word about us.

When i was under 10 i was taken to Cappielow with my dad and granda. Think my granda just wanted an excuse to get away from gran. He was a lifelong Morton fan, taking me to all home and away games. Think i done all the grounds when younger.
Took my dad to Ibrox as a treat when we were down the leagues. Up in CD, was last time i took him to any game. His views are stuck in 70/80s and was embarrassing the stuff he was shouting. But still look for results. After 2012, havent paid attention to anything about them.

Hearts.
Romanov ran them as a money laundering enterprise, and is now a fugitive holed up in Russia hiding from Interpol, wanted for financial shenannigans.
He had the affrontery to vote Rangers out of football fr noncriminal offenses.
When Hearts were faced with insolvency, the SFA advanced them their league prize money, whereas they retained Rangers money and divvied it up amongst themselves.
Now I despise Hearts more than the others except Celtc.
Rant over.

Looking back at the 2012 vote. 10 against Rangers in SPL and one abstained (Kilmarnock).

Rogue call:

Tims
Motherwell
Dundee Hibs
The other Hibs
Hearts
St Johnstone
St Mirren
Sheep
Dunfermline
Inverness

Many Chairmen of course claimed they were following the wishes of their fans who voted against - or their fans won’t buy season tickets if they voted in favour of Rangers so their hands were tied.

Pre administration… Kilmarnock, Airdrie & Hearts. Now none them, all tarred with Timothy’s brush. Funny enough they still want the blue pound.

Been to Tynecastle more than anywhere else out with Ibrox, lots of Hearts games with my mates including European games
Did the same 70s and 80s.Friends who were Hearts fans also came to Ibrox with me to see our team
Completely different world then I suppose

When I was younger there were a number of teams who I had not a fondness for but a bit of respect. Would watch them on telly if they were playing and quite enjoyed them.

Usually the teams had fairly strong links with Rangers in their playing squads or managers. Hearts, Motherwell and Kilmarnock spring to mind. Airdrie were another and because I'm a Dumfriesshire lad QOTS.

Like I'm sure most of you out there all that has pretty much vanished as Rangers don't seem to get much respect in return these days regardless of what we have done for Scottish football. I'm sure politics of the day is mainly to blame but it does surprise me with everything that has went on at Parkhead that Celtic seem to be held in a higher regard by the support of some clubs.

Who were the clubs you didn't mind and what were the reasons for it. Hearts were the one team that I really wanted one of their shirts as a kid because so many ex rangers players played for them
Dundee Utd in the Jim McLean days. Decent team,some of whom came to Rangers later players and of course Walter.

I remember watching Dundee Utd beating Barcelona home and away and being utterly delighted, in fact I would’ve certainly have wanted most Scottish teams to do well in Europe.

Post 2012 and the vitriol directed at us, no chance of that now.

Never forget, or forgive.
I agree back when Àberdeen and Dundee Utd were on European runs I was behind them all the way.Not any more quite happy to see them pumped out in the qualifiers even though it doesent help the coefficient and is embarrassing for the league.

When I was younger there were a number of teams who I had not a fondness for but a bit of respect. Would watch them on telly if they were playing and quite enjoyed them.

Usually the teams had fairly strong links with Rangers in their playing squads or managers. Hearts, Motherwell and Kilmarnock spring to mind. Airdrie were another and because I'm a Dumfriesshire lad QOTS.

Like I'm sure most of you out there all that has pretty much vanished as Rangers don't seem to get much respect in return these days regardless of what we have done for Scottish football. I'm sure politics of the day is mainly to blame but it does surprise me with everything that has went on at Parkhead that Celtic seem to be held in a higher regard by the support of some clubs.

Who were the clubs you didn't mind and what were the reasons for it. Hearts were the one team that I really wanted one of their shirts as a kid because so many ex rangers players played for them
Hearts would have been top league team I always had time for. Only other teams are Morton (local team) and Alloa (Dads families local team). Now I only care a little about Morton, and Alloa a tiny bit. But when it comes to having any actual feeling regarding game, Rangers is only team for me. 100% only Rangers.

Whats the other stuff mate? I work with an Alloa fan and he seems fine. Never really says a bad word about us.
I live in Alloa and don't think the owner is good for the community but also his involvement with the SFA in general.

The football team were a second team for most people but a lot of "Rangers" fans switched to gloat when Alloa were getting results against us and the SPL looked a million miles away. Now have switched back to claiming to be "Rangers" fans.

Clyde. Dont know how they voted, but they left Cumbernauld so they can go f themselves now.

clyde for me as my dad, grandad & his 6 brothers supported clyde, we stayed near celtic park & my grandad says he’s no going there, my dad said rangers it is then, 50+ years later

Didn't like any of them and I still don't,

What they did in 2012 will stay with them forever, it's a stain on their character,

Only one that came out of the whole sorry mess with any kind of dignity was the Kilmarnock chairman who very wisely abstained in the vote when the others stabbed us in the back

Hamilton Accies - my dad was from Eddlewood and this was more local. Used to go to a fair amount of home games as a nipper.
Always remember big fat "Fergie", shouting and swearing for the entire 90 minutes, every single home game, non stop.
Also remember the Airdrie fans when visiting being absolute c*nts....

Went to Pittodrie a lot when little.
Martin Buchan Davie Robb Joe Harper 70,s era.
Only until I was old enough to go on the big boy minibus to Ibrox
Can’t say I ever really like them though. However definitely a different time. Back then I’d say Aberdeen fans favoured us over Celtic due to their dominance

As a kid, 11-14 yo me and mate Dougie went week about to Ibrox & firhill. He was a PT fan and my parents preferred that I didn’t go to games alone.
From about 1967.
And of course we went to Hampden to watch them remarkably gub the scum :)

Hearts and Killie I didn't hate prior to 2012. Was always pretty relaxed mixing with their support around Tynecastle and Rugby Park. Going way back, apart from the mhanks, I always liked to see Scottish teams do well in Europe. When Aberdeen and Dundee Utd were mixing it with Europe's best in the early 80s, I was pleased to see them do well. Possibly in part because they were also giving the mhanks a kicking domestically as well, during a period when we just weren't at the races. That said, apathy then hostility kicked in toward the 'new firm' long before 2012.

I’ve only ever been interested in the Gers since a boy way back in the ’50’s. Football was on an even par back then. I used to really like seeing the Hearts and Hibs come to Ibrox. There were huge queues to get in for those games. Pay at the gate. Motherwell, Dundee and Killie in the ’60’s were great contests. Love St and Thistle were a must every season. And equally, I travelled a lot to their grounds. Tynecastle, tight and compact. Easter Road with its massive slope. Rugby Park had some amazing duels, and Airdrie another welcoming place. Parkheid was a piggery and full of hate.

Mid-70’s it began to slowly change. We started to dominate, but the ’new firm’ of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in the 80`s became the fighting focus of interest. Tannadice in particular during the 80’s and 90’s, always offered a decent game and rarely the bile we see today. NIAR in the 90`s saw a revolution take place in Scottish football at the juncture of 8IAR. This, for me, was the beginning of the 2-horse race and the rise in hatred by the non-presbyterian hordes. Possibly Laudrup’s last game I still felt safe enough to sit in with United fans and not see bother at Tannadice. I’d say the same at Rugby Park when we’d have most of the ground and our Ally playing upfront. Nowadays, nearly 25 years on? It’s become a fight between good and evil. The tärriers have raised the hate factor since O’Neil. It was their choice and it’s spread to their usual tärrier factories in Scotland. It set the scene for our sell-out in 2012.

There is not one team that interests me at all. Changed days when there was respect right across Scotland, with one exception, of course. That’s all gone thanks to 2012 and our neighbour’s contribution by hook & crook.

And then there’s the difficulty of finding a ticket. At my age, I no longer want the hassle of sitting in with the ’opposition’. There are always ways of finding a ticket if we want to see our game but factors beyond our control make it more of an unpleasant afternoon instead of it being a sporting game from both sides.

Will it ever change? It’s likely to get worse, driven by the hate-filled vision coming out of Parkheid, their priests and their schools. We need to bring them down with football and show that through respect of most teams we play it is best to try and get on rather than fuelled by hate. It will take generations as it takes a lot to forgive and forget.

Kilmarnock and Hearts when I was growing up from the 70’s,
now if any of them went under I wouldn’t give a monkeys.

Its a very sad thought but I’m afraid we have lost the battle they have divided our country and push through their agendas regardless it’s happening in plain sight and we are powerless.

Ive raised my family the right way hard working, honest, respectful and tolerant.
They know the score when it comes to the ways of the rattler my oldest had first had experience as a student working in one of the bigot factory’s where her eyes were opened big time.

Now if we are having a discussion I feel their apathy there’s dad on his soap box having a rant there’s no fight in our young people while theirs hammer home the bitter and twist rhetoric at all costs

I’ve only ever been interested in the Gers since a boy way back in the ’50’s. Football was on an even par back then. I used to really like seeing the Hearts and Hibs come to Ibrox. There were huge queues to get in for those games. Pay at the gate. Motherwell, Dundee and Killie in the ’60’s were great contests. Love St and Thistle were a must every season. And equally, I travelled a lot to their grounds. Tynecastle, tight and compact. Easter Road with its massive slope. Rugby Park had some amazing duels, and Airdrie another welcoming place. Parkheid was a piggery and full of hate.

Mid-70’s it began to slowly change. We started to dominate, but the ’new firm’ of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in the 80`s became the fighting focus of interest. Tannadice in particular during the 80’s and 90’s, always offered a decent game and rarely the bile we see today. NIAR in the 90`s saw a revolution take place in Scottish football at the juncture of 8IAR. This, for me, was the beginning of the 2-horse race and the rise in hatred by the non-presbyterian hordes. Possibly Laudrup’s last game I still felt safe enough to sit in with United fans and not see bother at Tannadice. I’d say the same at Rugby Park when we’d have most of the ground and our Ally playing upfront. Nowadays, nearly 25 years on? It’s become a fight between good and evil. The tärriers have raised the hate factor since O’Neil. It was their choice and it’s spread to their usual tärrier factories in Scotland. It set the scene for our sell-out in 2012.

There is not one team that interests me at all. Changed days when there was respect right across Scotland, with one exception, of course. That’s all gone thanks to 2012 and our neighbour’s contribution by hook & crook.

And then there’s the difficulty of finding a ticket. At my age, I no longer want the hassle of sitting in with the ’opposition’. There are always ways of finding a ticket if we want to see our game but factors beyond our control make it more of an unpleasant afternoon instead of it being a sporting game from both sides.

Will it ever change? It’s likely to get worse, driven by the hate-filled vision coming out of Parkheid, their priests and their schools. We need to bring them down with football and show that through respect of most teams we play it is best to try and get on rather than fuelled by hate. It will take generations as it takes a lot to forgive and forget.
What an insightful post!

Alloa although to be honest there is a lot more to it than just their vote as to why I dont have much time for them
Yep, a certain person turned all the local bears away from the club. Ironically, hardly any local jungle jims (who went to see them) ever attended the recs to watch Alloa when tims weren't playing. Always a good turn out from our side though.

Clubs like Alloa started to develop the Rangers hating fans, especially during the 9 in a row years. You could see it increase each season. It was your tartan army type muppets. I would Imagine most lower league sides were the same.

Morton as they’re my local team but I remember a lot of their fans spinning the “so who’s yer big team?” when we were kicked down the leagues.

I now heartily remind them that since then, we’ve won League 2, League 1, the Championship, the Premiership and have reached a European final, while they’ve literally sat in the same league and won bugger all.

My big team will always be Rangers. Doesn’t matter where we’re playing, we’re the f*cking big dogs and don’t forget it.

grew up in Greenock in the sixties ,my dad and granddad would take me to Ibrox ,like a lot of kids I wasn’t allowed to go to the big game ,they didn’t go to away games so we went to see Morton , I liked their Danish players ,I finally got to see us win the cup replay in 66 ,the king Kai goal will live with me forever..

Was never really fond of any other team but would look kindly on a few back in the day - Hearts, Dundee, Ross County, Inverness, Kilmarnock. Now couldn’t care about anyone but wish them all the best on the day when they play against ra cellic.

I used to enjoy watching the Motherwell side with the crop of great youngsters - e.g. McFadden. It was a breath of fresh air for the league.

Can't say I liked any of them. Always had dislike for the Dundee teams though. I spent a fair amount of my youth in Dundee and I found the 2 Dundee teams fans to be insufferable. That included my family who supported them lol.

I do remember going to see clydebank play back in the day with my old man. Sadly now that stadium is now a retail park.

Thistle as they were my great grandpa’s team. He had a soft spot for us and he despised the filth. After he died I was looking through his vinyl collection and he had an OO album.

During the crazy days of the early 00s I used to enjoy watching Dundee. Guys like Novo, Caniggia, Zurab etc.

I didn’t mind Killie either.

Never understood the Hearts thing as I’ve never met one who liked us. The best I can say about them is they hate Celtic more than they hate us.

I live in Alloa and don't think the owner is good for the community but also his involvement with the SFA in general.

The football team were a second team for most people but a lot of "Rangers" fans switched to gloat when Alloa were getting results against us and the SPL looked a million miles away. Now have switched back to claiming to be "Rangers" fans.

Very weird behaviour.

Dundee, Hearts, Airdrie.
Dundee Utd in the 80’s where very popular when going on those fantastic runs in Europe. Great style of attacking play. Walter, Goughie, Archie Knox, Kirkwood, Billy Thompson, John Clark, all Bears.

I used to have a soft spot for Hearts, Airdrie and Ayr Utd. I still like the last two to win. Never, ever liked Kilmarnock

Raith Rovers
Dundee
Hearts
Morton

Now I couldn't care less about any team apart from us, I actually don't mind Ross County, met a few of their travelling fans at Ibrox and they were decent guys.

Now Im just trying to remember if this was the case before anyone jumps on my question.

Was Stewart Robertson with Motherwell when they voted us down?

Clyde, poss, as my old man played for them when they beat the scum in the 54 cup final. Tommy A . Captain - bit off the subject but he was invited to Septic park to see Clyde v them. Took me along, walking into the main entrance I just followed the group in front, proceeded to go round the big F..kin shamrock! Quickly put straight by the old man - walked straight across the shite - scuffing our feet. Killie also, as we came from Galston but it was always and still is (thanks Da) the Famous.
Mine also played for four years with them but left in 53 . He was centre half and used to say they had 3 internationals in the team then ,Robertson Ring and Haddock. I asked if he ever got near a Scotland squad and he said no chance , George Young and Willie Woodburn were the competition !

Mine also played for four years with them but left in 53 . He was centre half and used to say they had 3 internationals in the team then ,Robertson Ring and Haddock. I asked if he ever got near a Scotland squad and he said no chance , George Young and Willie Woodburn were the competition !
Archie Robertson was my Sunday school teacher back in the fifties!
A fine man and footballer!

Back