Our attacking players.

archimedes

Now that Hagi has signed, how does everyone see our forward players lining up (assuming Alfredo stays)?

Personally, against the better sides, I'd have Hagi playing as a number 10 in front of a midfield 3, with Morelos ahead of him and Kent drifting from side to side in a free role.
Against the poorer teams I'd probably keep Kent on the left and push Aribo forward on the right.

Don’t get enough from Hagi wide so as you say, has to be the attacking midfield position.

Preferably Kent on one side with an attacking right sided player signed on the other.

Hagi in the middle with Kent one side and someone else on other side, behind the striker would be ideal.

The problem is we have loads of players for the other position already and none have cemented their place.

Aribo
Jones
Murphy
Hastie
Barker
Stewart
Middleton

Think we shouldnt be wedded to any one sytem. Could play Hagi as a proper 10 and Kent left of a 4231, could use Arfield/Aribo and Kent on either side of a 442, could look at 3 at the back with Hagi in a central free role with Kent up front. One of the biggest issues in think we have is predictability in style and set up.

I would like to see another attacking midfielder brought in. Ideally someone who can play on the right for us!

Hagi in the middle with Kent one side and someone else on other side, behind the striker would be ideal.

The problem is we have loads of players for the other position already and none have cemented their place.

Aribo
Jones
Murphy
Hastie
Barker
Stewart
Middleton

Gerrard wants 2/3 good players per position. Ahead of our back 4 I'm seeing:

Cm: Ideally New / Davis / Barjonas

Cm: Kamara / Jack /Arfield

Rw: Ideally New / Jones / McPake

Am: Hagi / Aribo / Stewart

Lw: Kent /Murphy (shown enough on loan for me) / Kennedy
St: Morelos / Need New / Defoe

Barker gone we hope. Docherty, Kelly, Hastie, both McCrorie's and Middleton on loan.

3 more quality signings (plus a back up left back and goalkeeper) and that is a title winning squad IMHO. If we don't get these signings with the uncertainty right now, we still have a very good chance. But Champ Man hat on, that's what I'd be aiming for.

Could be complicated by justifyable sales of Morelos and/or Kamara, but even if it meant we had to sign More players it would probably fund the whole shopping spree!

Gerrard wants 2/3 good players per position. Ahead of our back 4 I'm seeing:

Cm: Ideally New / Davis / Barjonas

Cm: Kamara / Jack /Arfield

Rw: Ideally New / Jones / McPake

Am: Hagi / Aribo / Stewart

Lw: Kent /Murphy (shown enough on loan for me) / Kennedy
St: Morelos / Need New / Defoe

Barker gone we hope. Docherty, Kelly, Hastie, both McCrorie's and Middleton on loan.

3 more quality signings (plus a back up left back and goalkeeper) and that is a title winning squad IMHO. If we don't get these signings with the uncertainty right now, we still have a very good chance. But Champ Man hat on, that's what I'd be aiming for.

Could be complicated by justifyable sales of Morelos and/or Kamara, but even if it meant we had to sign More players it would probably fund the whole shopping spree!

Dream (semi realistic) signings (in that if the money was right they would see a move to us as a step in the right direction):

Majer or Ivanusec for the Creative midfield role.

Berghuis or Skov Olsen at right wing.

And Mirko Maric to compete with Morleos.

Now if we can just find the cheat codes, I'll just go and shake the old money tree and pop off for my sweet but wet dreams!

Seriously though: I have full faith in Gerrard, Wilson and Co to find the right players to fill our voids!

With Hagi though, I'm already starting to look forward to next season! I'm 30... Too old to get a Hagi shirt when Castore release them? Ordinarily I'd say no... But Hagi baby! He's just different!

Last edited:
Hagi must be playing in the No.10 position, not stuck out wide.

—————— Alfie ——————

—— Kent —— Hagi —— Aribo—

Dream (semi realistic) signings (in that if the money was right they would see a move to us as a step in the right direction):

Majer or Ivanusec for the Creative midfield role.

Berghuis at right wing.

And Mirko Maric to compete with Morleos.

Now if we can just find the cheat codes, I'll just go and shake the old money tree and pop off for my sweet but wet dreams!

Seriously though: I have full faith in Gerrard, Wilson and Co to find the right players to fill our voids!

With Hagi though, I'm already starting to look forward to next season! I'm 30... Too old to get a Hagi shirt when Castore release them? Ordinarily I'd say no... But Hagi baby! He's just different!
If only mate!

I think we need 2 strikers replacement for morelos and for me a target man who scores lots of headers as we must throw in 20/30 crosses per match with very little execution of headed goals from our strikers grip my shit when Defoe is on and we pump in cross after cross

Could we get Hagi slightly deeper than the 10 and we try two up top. Morelos is excellent at holding the ball up and playing others in, we get a striker to play off him?

I don’t think we will have a problem in loaning players out this season as other clubs will not want to commit to contracts so I feel we off load more squad players, we have a tight 25man squad but we buy only quality.

Ideally, we'll still sign more players and also be a bit more willing to change things up

In the current 2 number 10 lineup I'd hope to see:

Dorsch
Jack
Aribo

Hagi
Majer

Morelos/new

Then

Jack
Aribo

Kent
Hagi
Olsen

Morelos/new

Morelos

Kent Hagi Aribo/Stewart (Depending
( on
( opposition

Obviously we wouldn't play that formation in Europe, or against Celtic, when you need 3 proper midfielders, but it would certainly work better against deep lying defensive teams, especially at Ibrox.

Morelos

Kent Hagi Aribo/Stewart (Depending
( on
( opposition

Obviously we wouldn't play that formation in Europe, or against Celtic, when you need 3 proper midfielders, but it would certainly work better against deep lying defensive teams, especially at Ibrox.
This isn't versatile enough, Kent is the only player with any pace.

We desperately need someone with a similar skillset to Kent to be able to play on the opposite side when needed.

This isn't versatile enough, Kent is the only player with any pace.

We desperately need someone with a similar skillset to Kent to be able to play on the opposite side when needed.

I agree, but I was just selecting from what is currently available.

1 out and out holding midfielder. Ryan Jack or Glenn Kamara as stand in.
1 holding midfielder with licence to break forward when timing allows. Scott Arfield or Lewis Ferguson (controversial!)
1 number 10 central behind the striker. Hagi with Aribo as stand in.
2 wide men cutting inside to support when ball is on opposite flank. Ryan Kent and Joe Aribo, with stand ins Greg Stewart and Jamie Murphy.

1 out and out holding midfielder. Ryan Jack or Glenn Kamara as stand in.
1 holding midfielder with licence to break forward when timing allows. Scott Arfield or Lewis Ferguson (controversial!)
1 number 10 central behind the striker. Hagi with Aribo as stand in.
2 wide men cutting inside to support when ball is on opposite flank. Ryan Kent and Joe Aribo, with stand ins Greg Stewart and Jamie Murphy.

I like most of that, but I'd imagine Gerrard would want 3 central midfielders, when playing Celtic, or in Europe, as it's worked so well for us in those games.

I'm assuming Steven Davis comes back into your thoughts for these sort of games?

I like most of that, but I'd imagine Gerrard would want 3 central midfielders, when playing Celtic, or in Europe, as it's worked so well for us in those games.

I'm assuming Steven Davis comes back into your thoughts for these sort of games?

He does, but I see Davis as more of a dressing room influence and squad player next season.

Would be quite happy for him to prove me wrong.

He does, but I see Davis as more of a dressing room influence and squad player next season.

Would be quite happy for him to prove me wrong.

I thought he was our best midfielder pre winter break.

However, the danger is we overplay him and he becomes less effective.

You only need to look at his performance at the piggery to see what he can offer when fresh.

Hagi has to play as a 10 if he's playing, he's not a winger

I think most of us agree with that.

It will be interesting though how he fits him into the formation for a Celtic game.

It's very unlikely we'll go 4-2-3-1 against them.

They tried it against us at Hampden and the piggery and it let us totally control the midfield.

I think most of us agree with that.

It will be interesting though how he fits him into the formation for a Celtic game.

It's very unlikely we'll go 4-2-3-1 against them.

They tried it against us at Hampden and the piggery and it let us totally control the midfield.

I think that's one of the challenges with the Hagi signing mate. He almost feels like a bit of a luxury player. There are other areas where we absolutely need to strengthen (starters, not squad players). If we do then fair enough.

We need a RW / RF with pace who can finish, the players either side of Morelos have to contribute more if we are to win anything.

Id like to see Aribo back in CM where he played before he came to us. Play him alongside Jack in a 4-2-3-1 and give him a license to get forward when required.

Morelos
Kent New
Hagi
Aribo Jack​

Back