Our attitude towards Walter during our TIAR season

I'm sure the players and management were applauded on the team bus at Tannadice after the 10 had gone. Compare and contrast with the behaviour of the scum.
Yes, we waited for the players to come back out after the game. We were informed over the PA system that wouldn't be happening. Loads of us waiting outside until the team departed and applauded them off on the journey home.

Utter garbage.
You really think it’s “Presbyterian” to cheat?
He never hated Rangers.
One sickener from him was the day at Ibrox, last day of the season, McCoist’s last game and he refused to use him as a sub.
You’ve got a very bad memory anytime on TV he made it plain his feelings towards RFC, he was an ex third rate player who had a chip on his shoulder that he wasn’t good enough to be a great Rangers player.

Gazza was a mess and not the player we had the previous seasons.

We also got £3.4m for Gazza.
6 months later we’d have struggled to give him away after his meltdown following being dropped from the England World Cup squad by Hoddle

the walter leaving announcement was a big factor

i wasn't so much gutted about not getting 10, just not getting another title was the kick in the balls

happy to be corrected but it felt like the squad had largely reached the end at 9 and were mostly kept on for the 10th season as if to say "you got us to 9 so cannot change too much"

they were dead on their feet, highlighted by Advocaat coming in and having a gutted squad to work with
Parallels with the tramps in some ways.

You’ve got a very bad memory anytime on TV he made it plain his feelings towards RFC, he was an ex third rate player who had a chip on his shoulder that he wasn’t good enough to be a great Rangers player.
I knew him before Rangers.
As much a bluenose as I was!
That said, I am aware that he was disillusioned with club, felt that he hadn’t been looked after when he broke his leg.
This is third hand awareness!
Like i posted earlier though, his treatment of McCoist that one time left a sour taste for me.

Today’s amusing gathering of Seans and Kierans in the car park at Parkhead has made me think of how we reacted towards Walter during our bid for a proper, full ten titles in a row as that started to hit the skids.

Having spoken to people about it and read up about it, while the fan base was rightly pissed off about Gothenburg and Strasbourg alongside the squad’s lack of consistency that year, we never turned on him in the way that they have on Lennon.
Arguably we had more reason to be angry about the state of the team given the context we operated in but even until the game against Kilmarnock at Ibrox, we still rallied behind him and the team.

Just shows you the night and day difference between us and them.
We got behind him for one last push like any normal support would for a legendary, successful manager.

I was absolutely gutted at Tanadice that day, in tears!
To be fair to that mob, they have every right to be raging, they’ve had a free run at champions league money and the easiest run at the league with us not being there, with that wage bill and budget.

They desperately froth at the mouth needing 10 because it’s the only thing they’d be able to say they have had more than us... other than hired sexual predators of course, they’re winning that one for sure. No contest.

Gough scored to beat Celtic 1-0 in November that year and ran the whole length of the pitch past us in the Govan Stand gesturing with 10 fingers and pushing his hands up to the sky. We all thought it was in the bag after that game. History makers. Not to be.

I quickly moved on after we lost the 10 because it was a new era with new fresh ideas and exciting foreign players and manager coming in.

The way the slabbering hordes of mentally challengeds are going on now about the 10 looking back am more angry now we fucked it, specially after beating them with 4 games to go.

They genuinely think that if they win 10 we will go bust and dissapear for real this time.

They think we are throwing everything at stopping 10 when infact its about winning 55 for us.

If we dont win league this season which is still a possibilty we will regroup and go again next season and i would be confident we could win it then.

We have been thro much worse, on other hand we will league this season and they wont sell more than 25k season tickets next season.

A lot of revisionism here regards 10. We all wanted it, in fact it was a true target for us in beating our own and theirs 9. It mattered to us without va doubt.

We also signed Porrini, Gattuso, Johansson and Vidmar before bringing Gough back from semi retirement in the States.

Whatever way you want to paint it we spent massively including forty grand a week on a crocked Jonás Thern.

People are kidding themselves on that we were easy going about winning TIAR - we wanted it badly.

We did, after getting the 9. After the first couple all the talk was about 9. Not getting 9 would have been seen as a failure, not getting 10 didn’t have the same impact, disappointing as it was.

i was just bitterly disappointed that that team went out with nothing in the SC final.
no big send off or goodbye. Those players wee responsible for many great memories, they deserved something.

Back