Our away support who travelled to Dortmund, Braga and Leipzig

I walked to the game with a lad who got a ticket from an RTV producer on the day of the game.

I was in the Uefa Cat 1 area which was 60/40 Frankfurt. Our songs dying after a single verse was very obvious.

As I’ve said a few times, we met 3 Scottish international rugby players and their assorted pals (Townsend, Weir and Logan) at the game who are all Rangers fans but rarely, if ever, attend games.

I live in Copenhagen, so attended Malmö, Brondby, Dortmund and Leipzig all unofficial. I got my final tickets in the first uefa ballot.

I thought there were more than enough folk who knew the words to carry songs but actually now I think about it. We were right next to/above the Union bears and couldn’t really hear them and often they would start something and the area over to McCoist and co would start something else. Both would fizzle out. I assumed it was just folk in middle not knowing what to sing but could have easily been people who knew neither song helping kill both stone dead.

Madness, I myself whos not fully been back to games in years could have picked up a ticket the days after we beat Leipzig. Think the lowest I seen was about £700.

Touts don’t help.

I was in the Rangers end behind the goals and no word of a lie, very few around me were singing

Older women and daughters, multiple kids under 10, “you’re in my seat” folk … it felt very weird and I don’t get how they’d have got tickets in there as I refuse to believe they’d have been high mygers members
I would like to know how many tickets the club gave out. Players rightly should get a few for friends or family but loads of stories of people getting tickets from the club and with amount of ex players that appeared it seems like they handed out an awful lot.

I was in area C next to the corner flag and saw plenty of WAGS with kids and ex players. This was not the neutral section.

My appreciation is maybe skewed due to where I was. Anyone beside me was there on merit.

It was a weird situation across the stadium though.

Plenty folk got tickets outwith Rangers. I know of I’ll that got tickets in:

Uefa ballot
Bought from touts
Given away through work sponsors (Heineken being one example)
Through the SFA as they had some to dish out.
Through other clubs in Scotland as they had some (small amount) to dish out.
Through the referees department as they had some (small amount) to dish out.

I’m sure I am forgetting others but there seemed to be so many folk with tickets not through Rangers.

That’s very very weird. As you say being high level mygers seems unlikely.

In the neutral section there were folk like that all around me. Families and shit that you just assumed had paid top dollar like I had or had got lucky in the ballot.

Likewise in my section. There were very obviously guys in these sections that go regularly but, dotted around rather than altogether as you would be at an away game or Hampden.

Btw it's not really that weird. If the numbers I've posted above are indeed correct (still don't know if they are) it potentially means that 40% of our official end has been given to lads and lassies who don't go regularly and/or don't even have MyGers. Undoubtedly some of these tickets WILL have gone to people that travel everywhere as I think Hospitality punters were within that figure but, it could still go someway to explaining it?

Plenty folk got tickets outwith Rangers. I know of I’ll that got tickets in:

Uefa ballot
Bought from touts
Given away through work sponsors (Heineken being one example)
Through the SFA as they had some to dish out.
Through other clubs in Scotland as they had some (small amount) to dish out.
Through the referees department as they had some (small amount) to dish out.

I’m sure I am forgetting others but there seemed to be so many folk with tickets not through Rangers.
I heard of someone who got two through a Lowland league club, apparently some were distributed to those clubs too.

Likewise in my section. There were very obviously guys in these sections that go regularly but, dotted around rather than altogether as you would be at an away game or Hampden.

Btw it's not really that weird. If the numbers I've posted above are indeed correct (still don't know if they are) it potentially means that 40% of our official end has been given to lads and lassies who don't go regularly and/or don't even have MyGers. Undoubtedly some of these tickets WILL have gone to people that travel everywhere as I think Hospitality punters were within that figure but, it could still go someway to explaining it?

Yeah that does explain it. I never realised the rangers allocation was that badly split. As I was never getting one via mygers I was always looking at uefa ballots and touts sadly.

To answer the OP, anyone who was on enough mygers points to get a Dortmund ticket would have had enough for a Seville ticket.

It's the Lyon, Braga and Belgrade games where a big chunk who travelled and got tickets will have missed out, previous euro aways should have been a prerequisite as well as sufficient points as there are guys who got tickets from the club and travelled to all 3 of these games who missed out on a final ticket, that's wrong.

The issue isn't with Rangers the issue is with UEFA and their choice of venue.

A 40k seater stadium of which we only received a tiny allocation is always going to leave a lot disappointed.

I'm tired of the support facing the blame for losing the final on Wednesday.
No, the issue is also with Rangers. They gave every member of staff tickets (and quite often more than 1 ticket if they applied for that).

Absolutely ridiculous.

As a club, we really have to start to recognise the extra effort some of our fans make to attend the games abroad.

The travel club, whilst not 100% perfect was a fairer system that rewarded the regular attendees of the European away games.
MyGers is flawed in so many ways that calling it a loyalty scheme doesn't reflect it's true worth to our support.
I personally would like to see the TC return, however that's unlikely ,therefore I would like to see extra points being awarded for the qualifying and group stage away games.
This to me, would recognise our travelling support better than the current system.
I would think that everyone would agree that it's a helluva lot easier to attend quarter and semi finals than it is to go to Armenia,Brondby and Belgrade.
On the flip side of that there were / are people who only went/go to euro aways
Seldom at Ibrox / Nevermind domestic away games or in some cases didn’t have season ticket for whatever reason (live outwith Scotland etc

There is a middle ground to be found, the timing of mygers coming in and the final this time around has thrown up a lot more issues than it would’ve in a couple years time as the points / attendance records would even out a lot more.and show a real reflection of attendance (and the one off bonus points like Edmiston house / champions wall wears off)

Raising the question of additional points for the European qualifiers is an interesting one but it’s a bit like saying should someone get more points by travel distance / number of flights / visa requirements needed?

Should those that went to brondby / Lyon and had to go through the covid testing expense have got more points?

Couple season back guys had two Russian visas to get the way the opponents / timings worked out so that was days at Russian embassy to include in the preparation & costs….

In situation like the above personally I would say there is a good case for more points to be on offer for going above & beyond normal travel procedures.

(Similar to when going to old Trafford for example was worth the same number of TC points as Russia / Israel / Greece and that didn’t seem right then )

Ultimately the club needs to increase money raised from the support in order to compete , we can say it’s unfair but mygers membership / season tickets / Edmiston house sponsorships etc, I can see why the club look for it, whereas they don’t make money from away game tickets it’s just a constant administration cost and uses up a lot of resources to deal with it (and let’s be honest the money it costs the club in UEFA fines for away game behaviour)

What percentage of them got tickets for Seville ? I would have hoped they all got tickets .
Hi mate , normally 16 of is go to most euro aways . Half had tickets . Out of that half 2 got them from My Gers 1 from a pal of staff a couple from ballot and one paid 1500 and one from a sponsor.
The lads that didn’t get tickets went to one of the fanzones.

As a club, we really have to start to recognise the extra effort some of our fans make to attend the games abroad.

The travel club, whilst not 100% perfect was a fairer system that rewarded the regular attendees of the European away games.
MyGers is flawed in so many ways that calling it a loyalty scheme doesn't reflect it's true worth to our support.
I personally would like to see the TC return, however that's unlikely ,therefore I would like to see extra points being awarded for the qualifying and group stage away games.
This to me, would recognise our travelling support better than the current system.
I would think that everyone would agree that it's a helluva lot easier to attend quarter and semi finals than it is to go to Armenia,Brondby and Belgrade.

Someone that doesn’t go to domestic aways but goes to Euro aways being more “loyal” and therefore more deserving of a final ticket than someone that maybe follows Rangers up and down the country but not away in Europe is all a matter of opinion.

Anyone that goes that goes to virtually all domestic games as well as Euro aways will be high gold MyGers and rightly get tickets for everything.

But there seems to be an opinion with a lot of people that someone that goes to every single domestic game home and away was somehow less deserving of a ticket for Wednesday than someone that goes to far less domestic games but went to 3-4 Euro aways.

Such an opinion is associating loyalty with distance travelled and money spent, which is partly what MyGers has been criticised for in the first place.

No, the issue is also with Rangers. They gave every member of staff tickets (and quite often more than 1 ticket if they applied for that).

Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't really get why that's massively wrong mate tbh. Easy for me to say as I was at the game but the players deserve to have their friends and families there watching them while the guys who work at the club keeping it going day in day out deserve to go as well tbh.

As do the supporters.

The fault was with UEFAs allocation.

If uefa hadn’t put 13k out to a public ballot than rangers would have had just under 12k to go directly to fans.
I can’t understand why they don’t wait until after the 2nd leg of the semi, allocate 35% of tickets to each club in the final and the remaining 30% to their own corporate and sponsors.
Then if clubs don’t sell out they return the tickets and go on a public sale. At least that way then more would go to the clubs.

The way it works out is shocking as all the early release tickets end in the hands of touts.

Travelled to Bronby, was allocated a ticket for Lyon but Sportoptions cancelled. Travelled to Belgrade and Leipzig. Also at the final. Was allocated a ticket for them all by Rangers. As far as our supporters club goes everyone that should have got a ticket got one. I would agree I also knew a lot that had tickets through various sources that shouldn’t have. Sadly this will always happen

Someone that doesn’t go to domestic aways but goes to Euro aways being more “loyal” and therefore more deserving of a final ticket than someone that maybe follows Rangers up and down the country but not away in Europe is all a matter of opinion.

Anyone that goes that goes to virtually all domestic games as well as Euro aways will be high gold MyGers and rightly get tickets for everything.

But there seems to be an opinion with a lot of people that someone that goes to every single domestic game home and away was somehow less deserving of a ticket for Wednesday than someone that goes to far less domestic games but went to 3-4 Euro aways.

Such an opinion is associating loyalty with distance travelled and money spent, which is partly what MyGers has been criticised for in the first place.

Some people, such as myself, are high MyGers because I do domestic everything but, due to work, I can make only a couple trips abroad a season.

I absolutely desvered my ticket for Wednesday ahead of someone who doesn't drag their arse out of bed at daft o'clock on Sunday mornings to go watch us play Ross county etc but loves to go to Germany, etc for a few days away and the booze.

MyGers, for this particular game, worked.

It has other failings though.

I don't really get why that's massively wrong mate tbh. Easy for me to say as I was at the game but the players deserve to have their friends and families there watching them while the guys who work at the club keeping it going day in day out deserve to go as well tbh.

As do the supporters.

I disagree that community coaches and the likes deserve to be there more than MyGers members.

The amount of storys I heard about random staff at Rangers giving their multiple tickets away to people who have never been to games is wild.

I see the usual myth is out that there's a big element of previous TC members that never went to Ibrox or domestic away games haha, ridiculous.

There must have been a very small percentage that done this.

Sorry but when the 5 year rolling period changes to 3 at the end of the season more folk will see MyGers for what it is, personally I'll be the high end of gold when it changes but its a rotten system.

I disagree that community coaches and the likes deserve to be there more than MyGers members.

The amount of storys I heard about random staff at Rangers giving their multiple tickets away to people who have never been to games is wild.

There shouldve been a cut off of which staff deserved to go I suppose but these guys work for the club and there has to be some perks of the job I guess.

But i take your point on community coaches. For me the fault is with the original allocation.

I see the usual myth is out that there's a big element of previous TC members that never went to Ibrox or domestic away games haha, ridiculous.

There must have been a very small percentage that done this.

Sorry but when the 5 year rolling period changes to 3 at the end of the season more folk will see MyGers for what it is, personally I'll be the high end of gold when it changes but its a rotten system.

You're right that there isn't a big number but, TBF, thinking back to Manchester when it was allocated as Travel Club first and then a CCCS ballot there were a helluva lot of people who got one just cos they had went to Barcelona that year on the piss.

I definitely think the club needs to reward fans who have been to the away games in Europe.
Next year in Turkey we need to have the right people together in the ground to help the team.
They did the opposite as pre-MyGers Euro aways were heavily diluted at 5 points per game (same as attendance at a regular home game). This decision cost me a ticket and meant I had to pay a ridiculous amount from a tout.

I'm convinced there were loads in that studium on Wed who had never been to a game before or this was their first in years. There were actually a group of 3 people behind us laughing about how they got their tickets for free and had only been to 3 games this season and their friend who has been to nearly every game had to pay over the odds for one.
I would agree with this despite the fact that four of us got tickets in the ballot!

All four of us have had season books for years and all four of us are mid tier silver Mygers.

Two of our group of 8 who travelled got club tickets as 1 x Gold and 1 x Very high silver.

Between us we’d been in Brondby Braga and Leipzig beforehand.

My point is if the ballot was done away with and we’d got 18000 tickets we’d probably have got official club tickets anyway!!

I never meant to quite that post I meant to post about too many tickets in the UEFA ballot

I was in Braga and Leipzig. Applied for Dortmund and Belgrade but got knocked back. Didn't get a ticket via Rangers.

Just as we approached the stadium some horrible wee bint started mouthing off for no reason about "ah nivir seen you all season. How the fk do folk like you get a ticket"

Never seen her before in all my years of following so totally unwarranted. I hate to think how many arguments her boyfriend gets in to with that mouthpiece on his arm.

Last edited:
On the flip side of that there were / are people who only went/go to euro aways
Seldom at Ibrox / Nevermind domestic away games or in some cases didn’t have season ticket for whatever reason (live outwith Scotland etc

There is a middle ground to be found, the timing of mygers coming in and the final this time around has thrown up a lot more issues than it would’ve in a couple years time as the points / attendance records would even out a lot more.and show a real reflection of attendance (and the one off bonus points like Edmiston house / champions wall wears off)

Raising the question of additional points for the European qualifiers is an interesting one but it’s a bit like saying should someone get more points by travel distance / number of flights / visa requirements needed?

Should those that went to brondby / Lyon and had to go through the covid testing expense have got more points?

Couple season back guys had two Russian visas to get the way the opponents / timings worked out so that was days at Russian embassy to include in the preparation & costs….

In situation like the above personally I would say there is a good case for more points to be on offer for going above & beyond normal travel procedures.

(Similar to when going to old Trafford for example was worth the same number of TC points as Russia / Israel / Greece and that didn’t seem right then )

Ultimately the club needs to increase money raised from the support in order to compete , we can say it’s unfair but mygers membership / season tickets / Edmiston house sponsorships etc, I can see why the club look for it, whereas they don’t make money from away game tickets it’s just a constant administration cost and uses up a lot of resources to deal with it (and let’s be honest the money it costs the club in UEFA fines for away game behaviour)

This covered quite a lot of the points i was trying to cover above.

I am close to 1800 MyGers points. I only went to two Euro aways this season before the final (mainly due to Covid restrictions).

If someone in silver MyGers had got a ticket for the final before me because they had been to 3-4 Euro aways this season i’d have went fûcking mental.

Most of the guys that go to most Euro aways are hardcore supporters and would have been easily sorted for Wednesday anyway.

There are clearly some however that have plenty of cash and easy access to work holidays that enable them to go Euro jollies every 3-4 weeks, but that haven’t sat freezing their balls off at Ibrox or away at Livi, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock etc in the middle of winter over the last 5 years when things haven’t been so exotic.

Do these people really deserve a ticket for a once in a lifetime game more than the ones that have followed all over Scotland for years / decades but maybe don’t have the luxury of being able to do every Euro away?

Me and my lad got official tickets for all the games albeit we have fairly high points, i said to my boy at the final the amount of people at that game who looked like they had never been to a game before was disgusting, even the official flight i was on had a heap of staff on it that id never seen in my life before,i heard someone asking one if they are working,’only if needed’ was the reply in between gulps of the free cans handed out, make no bones about it, the core of our support was shafted by whoever sanctioned a jolly for a lot of these people,without the fans the club are nothing,they should do well to remember that

You're right that there isn't a big number but, TBF, thinking back to Manchester when it was allocated as Travel Club first and then a CCCS ballot there were a helluva lot of people who got one just cos they had went to Barcelona that year on the piss.
That point of view I understand completely and agree with aye, I felt hard done by when I missed out on a Leipzig ticket even though I had done Belgrade, Lyon, Brondby and Braga all officially through Rangers, I got one off a mate eventually but I won't be seeing the benefit of the 15 points for that.

How hard could it have been for Rangers to issue tickets based on a criteria of "Gold MyGers with previous European home and away purchases" for example, then down from there?

I seen someone saying Liverpool issued their tickets based on season ticket holders who done every home and away European and match then down, which honestly seems pretty fair.

The demand was always going to outstrip supply. The days of 100,000 stadiums has gone, (still not big enough) and will never return so this problem will last forever. Hopefully it’s a problem we will see again : )

I would agree with this despite the fact that four of us got tickets in the ballot!

All four of us have had season books for years and all four of us are mid tier silver Mygers.

Two of our group of 8 who travelled got club tickets as 1 x Gold and 1 x Very high silver.

Between us we’d been in Brondby Braga and Leipzig beforehand.

My point is if the ballot was done away with and we’d got 18000 tickets we’d probably have got official club tickets anyway!!

I never meant to quite that post I meant to post about too many tickets in the UEFA ballot
While I say that, you can't really blame the people for taking the tickets, it's the system that's broken. Me and my boys are St holders, Mygers, go to a handful of away games a season and try and get 1 or 2 Euro away trips every year, it's could be reasonably argued that we shouldn't have gotten tickets, there will always be someone more deserving. It was more the brazeness of those people that irritated me.

As do the supporters.

Mate, no harm to these guys and I understand your point but, do they not get paid every month for 'keeping it going'? FFS bro if that's your argument then surely the supporters are even MORE deserving of tickets given the thousands of pounds we are ploughing into the club every year. Our choice, of course but, this was a great chance to really reward loyalty. There simply wasn't enough tickets to go in around and I'm not an idiot, of course some were going to club/corporate use but, that amount? I don't think it's right, personally. As I said further up though I don't think the club were the biggest issue here. This other post I've quoted is bang on the money for me. Uefa have created this environment, not the club.

Btw I won't be a hypocrite, I know I'm part of the problem by buying from a tout albeit indirectly.

I can’t understand why they don’t wait until after the 2nd leg of the semi, allocate 35% of tickets to each club in the final and the remaining 30% to their own corporate and sponsors.
Then if clubs don’t sell out they return the tickets and go on a public sale. At least that way then more would go to the clubs.

The way it works out is shocking as all the early release tickets end in the hands of touts.

That point of view I understand completely and agree with aye, I felt hard done by when I missed out on a Leipzig ticket even though I had done Belgrade, Lyon, Brondby and Braga all officially through Rangers, I got one off a mate eventually but I won't be seeing the benefit of the 15 points for that.

How hard could it have been for Rangers to issue tickets based on a criteria of "Gold MyGers with previous European home and away purchases" for example, then down from there?

I seen someone saying Liverpool issued their tickets based on season ticket holders who done every home and away European and match then down, which honestly seems pretty fair.

Perhaps there couldve been other caveats added mate yeah. I feel that MyGers did its job this time.

A big thing for me is that it's only been going two seasons so to be high MyGers for this game you needed to be doing almost everything before points were even a thing which is huge as people are now buying things for points only. God, I've done it myself. I would never have touched edmiston house a couple years ago but i bought the package last summer as I wanted to maintain my high points level and knew others were buying it.

I missed out in 2008 despite doing everything domestically that year yet mates in the travel club for Barcelona only got one so it's always been a bug bear of mine. Whereas Wednesday I got what I feel I deserved.

This covered quite a lot of the points i was trying to cover above.

I am close to 1800 MyGers points. I only went to two Euro aways this season before the final (mainly due to Covid restrictions).

If someone in silver MyGers had got a ticket for the final before me because they had been to 3-4 Euro aways this season i’d have went fûcking mental.

Most of the guys that go to most Euro aways are hardcore supporters and would have been easily sorted for Wednesday anyway.

There are clearly some however that have plenty of cash and easy access to work holidays that enable them to go Euro jollies every 3-4 weeks, but that haven’t sat freezing their balls off at Ibrox or away at Livi, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock etc in the middle of winter over the last 5 years when things haven’t been so exotic.

Do these people really deserve a ticket for a once in a lifetime game more than the ones that have followed all over Scotland for years / decades but maybe don’t have the luxury of being able to do every Euro away?
Correct.

If someone has a few euro away games but still missed out on a final ticket then they obviously don’t attend enough games domestically.

Surely there can’t be many in that boat right enough?

Mate, no harm to these guys and I understand your point but, do they not get paid every month for 'keeping it going'? FFS bro if that's your argument then surely the supporters are even MORE deserving of tickets given the thousands of pounds we are ploughing into the club every year. Our choice, of course but, this was a great chance to really reward loyalty. There simply wasn't enough tickets to go in around and I'm not an idiot, of course some were going to club/corporate use but, that amount? I don't think it's right, personally. As I said further up though I don't think the club were the biggest issue here. This other post I've quoted is bang on the money for me. Uefa have created this environment, not the club.

Btw I won't be a hypocrite, I know I'm part of the problem by buying from a tout albeit indirectly.

Yes they do get paid and I take that point. I just don't think the number that rangers took for staff was that bad. The issue was UEFAs allocation which was a shambles.

The UEFA Ballot is like getting a free bet at the bookies.

Apply and your team get to the final jackpot.

If your team don’t cash in at £2k a pop!

After what we’ve seen from touts I wouldn’t blame any of us to cash in on this in the future.

5 trips this season, only 2 through MyGers. Had not missed a Euro away through Rangers (TC) except Russia since we got back to our rightful place. Cancelled MyGers as my Euro trip days are over. TC was the fairest system IMO.

Probably very little since the games OP is mentioning in titles the fans actually created an atmosphere

I was in Braga and Leipzig. Applied for Dortmund and Belgrade but got knocked back. Didn't get a ticket via Rangers.

Just as we approached the stadium some horrible wee bint started mouthing off for no reason about "ah nivir seen you all season. How the fk do folk like you get a ticket"

Never seen her before in all my years of following so totally unwarranted. I hate to think how many arguments her boyfriend gets in to with that mouthpiece on his arm.
What was the cut off point for Belgrade? My son was under 100 MyGers points and got a ticket for the game and attended with my and my mate who are both mid/high silvers.

Experience of our lives on the Glaswegian bus :cool:

Im gonna say it didnt feel, look or sound like the crowds im used to travelling euro away with anyway. Shame the lads who should have been there werent I know who I would rather be in the stands with. Was part timer city. Arseholes both women and grown fucking men filming every free kick and then the pens

Im gonna say it didnt feel, look or sound like the crowds im used to travelling euro away with anyway. Shame the lads who should have been there werent I know who I would rather be in the stands with. Was part timer city. Arseholes both women and grown fucking men filming every free kick and then the pens

Maybe the part of the stadium you were in mate.

I took one video at the start like I do most euro games then phone was away and all I saw during the penalties was pure nerves and no phones.

Maybe the part of the stadium you were in mate.

I took one video at the start like I do most euro games then phone was away and all I saw during the penalties was pure nerves and no phones.

It was night and day from lepzig before that what two weeks ago, do you think that was a usual euro away support effort? I was in cat 3 rangers end lower tier

have the same mate one video and picture with the lads thats it im not saying everyone

Would be a very small percentage as we got such a small official allocation for Dortmund.

I went to them all bar Leipzig of what you mention, only official club ticket was Braga the rest were home end or neutral.

I wouldnt show in the clubs numbers, my brother the same.
I got tickets for them all through rangers

Probably very little since the games OP is mentioning in titles the fans actually created an atmosphere
OP here , exactly my point . The place should have been rocking when we went one up . That adage of its not what you know but who you know seemed to apply particularly to this game if you got a ticket .

Back