Our Best/Most Impressive European Match Result?

a_weir

Sat at work clock watching. So here we go...

Obviously the best thing we’ve ever done in Europe is Barca 72.

But what do you think is the best result we’ve had from a match?

0-0 Barca at home? Fiorentina away? 3-0 Lyon away?

Beating Leeds 2-1 away from home is pretty good.

Has to be scudding a strong Lyon team 3-0 on their own turf (outwith the obvious winning the Cup Winners Cup).

I'll always remember Jig flying through the air to crash that header in.

2.0 Bayern at Ibrox in 1972.

They had about half of the West Germany squad who won the WC two years later.

Beating Bayern 2-0 is our best result.

6 of that side (names below) won the 1972 European Championship, 1974 World Cup and 3 successive European Cups 1974-76

Sepp Maier, Franz Beckenbauer, Georg Schwarzenbeck, Paul Breitner,
Uli Hoeness, Gerd Müller

3 1 against Inter Milan cant remember which year big Jock Wallace was manager.
1984. It would be one of my top 3 Euro wins attended. PSV Eindhoven 4-1 win (against a strong PSV line up) and Sporting Lisbon 2-0 away in UEFA run in 2008 the others. (I wasn’t at Bayern, Juventus, Leeds or Parma wins).

1984. It would be one of my top 3 Euro wins attended. PSV Eindhoven 4-1 win (against a strong PSV line up) and Sporting Lisbon 2-0 away in UEFA run in 2008 the others. (I wasn’t at Bayern, Juventus, Leeds or Parma wins).

I’m old enough to remember us beating PSV in ‘78, but the 4-1 demolition in ‘99 was sensational.

They were a very good side, former European Champions, and we just took them apart.

I think I still have to vote for Bayern in ‘72 though.

That’s the high water mark.

Hard to separate all the big ones that have been mentioned but I'll always vote for Lyon, purely cos I was at it. Amazing night.

I still say the Marseilles team we drew with twice was the best team I've ever seen at Ibrox, to claw two goals back against them made the draw feel like a victory, they were a truly world class team. I don't think you could ever call a draw a 'best result', but in the circumstances it comes close!

Juventus 2-0 in '78

My thoughts exactly, and all the more impressive given the number of Italian Internationals in their side - nine I think. From my recollections at the time, at least eight teams had lost the first leg of a European tie 1-0 yet we were the only side to progress to the next round.

I see a lot choosing Bayern 72 in the Cup Winners Cup but for me Juventus in 78 in the European Cup is our best euro result.

Beating the Russian Champions Vlaikavkaz 7.2 away from home in 1996 must be worth a mention
I like that you mention this one. I had a valid visa because I had been to the Former Soviet Union (as it was then called) with a view to moving out there. My wife and I had also learned Russian (only a ptitiful amount of which I speak now) Our company was broken up by the Monopolies and Mergers Commission and I took voluntary redundancy. I had my voluntary redundancy and sold my flat in London to return to Scotland so we were cash rich and went out there.

We were in the main entrance section of the ground.The crowd was hostile pre-match but by the end of the game they were cheering every Rangers touch, singing "Glasgow, Glasgow" and desperate for our scarves and any memorabilia they could get their hands on. They felt we were a proper football team, and it was a great time to be a Rangers fan.

Bayern at home was my first game at Ibrox in almost 3 years, and this trumps the lot because they truly were possibly the best team in the world at the time, going on to win European Cups and make up the core of West Germany's World Cup-winning team.

Holland for PSV (and a great John Greig team) and Lyon were special memories because those teams were riding high at the time.

Also being there with my late dad means I cherish those memories even more.

Back