Our best striker since Mccoist?

Best striker since Mccoist?

• Total voters
Strikers are there to score goals

Kris Boyd done nothing but score goals
Not these days. Even if Alfie hadn’t scored last night it was an incredible performance that unfortunately may have alerted a few to the fact that he is one hell of an asset to have in your team,

The Buf is the best striker in my life time supporting Rangers & my first game was 1993. He has everything. Only 2 strikers that runs him close would be Jelavic & Mols but NJ was not with us long enough & MM picked up that awful injury.

Jelavic would run riot in this Rangers team. If we're talking about best in terms of ability it's Mols or Jelavic. If we're talking about best in terms of what they achieved/contributed for Rangers Morelos is close but not quite there yet.

Gotta be Boyd.

But Jelavic was a joy to watch and no doubt in 10 years time Morelos will be as well regarded as guys like Mols / Dado / Novo / Miller / Jelavic ect

Love Boydy but I couldn’t pick someone who was sometimes dropped for OF games and practically never trusted in big European nights. If we were talking exclusively domestic competition he’d have a strong shout.

If Mols hadnt got hurt and continued the way he was going, he would have been one of the Rangers all time greats. He looked genuinely world class.

I think Jelavic still edges Morelos though, there was just more to his overall game and a bit more consistency. Buf has certainly developed in his time here though, especially this year. If he stays for another year now we are getting a crack at the CL who knows what the gaffer will get from him.

My mate said Tonight it was Alfie. Alfie on his day is incredible, last night possibly the finest example of that.

However I opted for Prso.
For me it's alfredo in a team that was let's be honest crap,(not crap anymore) He's the main man Prso and Jelavic very close but Mols before that injury could have been up there as one of the greatest ever.

If Mols hadnt got hurt and continued the way he was going, he would have been one of the Rangers all time greats. He looked genuinely world class.

I think Jelavic still edges Morelos though, there was just more to his overall game and a bit more consistency. Buf has certainly developed in his time here though, especially this year. If he stays for another year now we are getting a crack at the CL who knows what the gaffer will get from him.
The amount of first time finishes he scored at Everton was unbelievable remember Gary nevil talking about it when he scored against man u

I would argue Boyd was nothing like the kind of striker McCoist was, except they both scored a lot of goals.
Jelavic was far more the type of centre forward McCoist was. Good on the ball, deceptively strong, could lead the line or play off another striker, came good in big games, could see a pass, etc.

The one and only part of McCoist's all round game that was similar to Boyd was their ability to find space in the 6 yard box to score loads of goals.
Folk forget how good allys all round game was got called a poacher he was anything but Boyd was definitely a poacher type player mccoist had more to his game hence his length of service at the club.

Mols was still decently even after Munich

Not the same but the way some people go on, you’d think he was a cross between Egil
Ostenstaad and Herrera

You can't really put a player up there on 4 months performance if you want to do that Negri eclipses Mols. Mols was a tragedy a case of what might have been but it was what it was.

Technically I'd put Jelavic up there in terms of ability and performing at the top level. Alfie has been blighted by poor discipline.

Mols was more than about goals and getting results. Watching Mols was watching an artist. A true master at work. No-one expected it, he wasn't expected by the fans to be a world class player along the lines of Gazza, de Boer or Kanchelskis. Few outside of Holland knew of him at all. And yet when we fist signed him we suddenly all realised what we had. This was a player some teams felt the need not to just double up on but triple up on.

A pre-injury Mols gets in almost every Gers fans best XI for good reason. He was the sort of player you would kill to see play again - and I'm not just talking about for rangers - I'd pay to see that Mols again even if he was playing in a celtic shirt. In my head he was of an Ilk of Ronaldinho or okotcha: a player who loved the game, played with a smile on his face, and played the game as it should be played.

He was a master to which few who have worn blue can compare in my book.

Different types of strikers in the list that come down to personal preference of what we individually like to see in a forward.

Mols had it all pre injury, Boyd had instinct, Miller, Novo and Wallace had energy and Alfie, Prso and Jelavic have power and strength.

Zlatan, Drogba, Denis and Adriano are a few of my faves that I've seen so that's why I personally have went with Alfredo.

I just love his strength, that he plays right on the edge of his anger and he scores goals. :))

Last edited:
Pre injury Mols was amazing but it’s far too short a spell. Jelavic was class but again a fairly short lived Rangers career. Big Dado is a cult hero but not prolific enough, Boyd plenty prolific but not the same level of footballer as Ally.

Much as he has frustrated me many times, I’ve voted for Alfie. Recency bias playing a part but who doesn’t love an Alfie goal?

I can really and I just did.
You can't really put a player up there on 4 months performance if you want to do that Negri eclipses Mols. Mols was a tragedy a case of what might have been but it was what it was.

Technically I'd put Jelavic up there in terms of ability and performing at the top level. Alfie has been blighted by poor discipline.
I can really and I just did.

For me on a personal level that four months before the injury I saw a guy whose touch, technique and control plus that turn, was and still is unlike anything I've ever seen. One of my biggest regrets is that we never got to see him against the likes of Stubbs and Mjalby before that injury. We'd still be talking about it now.

Do I think he was a better, more natural goalscorer that Jelavic or Negri or Boyd? No I don't.

But in terms of making a chance purely on his own, off of his own back, he and Alfie stand alone.

It's a testimony to Mols that he did come back and there were still some of those vintage 'turns'. But sadly, he never did get to hit the heights before early November 99.

Thing is, ironically, no Mols in Parma away in the 99 qualifier, there would have been no trip to Munich in the group stages thereafter. Mols, with his abilty hold the ball up on his own was the key that night.

As we say often and long, it's all about opinions.

It is Morelos for me. In terms of his contribution to the team and the length of time he has been here. Morelos on Thursday night was as good a performance I have seen from a Rangers forward in a long time.

Mols/Negri were both exceptional (in different ways) for half a season, Mols came back and still had an impact, 02-03, but not at the same level.

Good player like, loved his goal from big Marv playing it over the top, think my dad near enough upper cutted me celebrating. Wasn’t a great season but that was a high point early on and Ibrox was bouncing

His goal at shittodrie in the 3-1 win was sublime.

You can't say pre-injury Mols and not have pre-injury Negri.

Pre-injury Mols only played 20 games!

Anyway it's Morelos for me without question. I think he's the most complete attacking player we've had at the club since God himself. I mean what doesn't he have? Speed, power, physicality, ability, goalscoring, link-up play, COMPASSION.

Just because a player had one really good season or one really good half season doesn't put them up there as best striker. McCoist is our greatest ever because he was consistently great for 15 years. Morelos has only been here 4 but he's well on the way to that kind of consistency if we manage to keep hold of him a bit longer.
90 goals in 171 games in 3.5 seasons or so (bearing in mind last season was cancelled early, and this one is not yet finished). Without any penalties! And that doesn't even take into account assists and other goals he's indirectly involved in.
Given the fact that he often plays as a lone striker and he has been targetted for red cards and missed games that's quite frankly an insane record.

And compare to Kris Boyd who "just scored goals".
Best season - 31 goals in 46 games.
2nd best season - 26 goals in 40 goames.

Morelos - 30 goals in 48 games and 29 in 47.
Morelos gives us everything Boyd did as a goalscorer, but also so much more - AND HE DOESN'T TAKE PENALTIES

My mate said Tonight it was Alfie. Alfie on his day is incredible, last night possibly the finest example of that.

However I opted for Prso.
Likewise.
Loved big Dado.
The filth were absolutely terrified of him.
100% warrior who would run through a brick wall for us.

I think Alfie just shades it . I think Jelavic was a more rounded player who had everything , but he wasn't with us long enough. Alfie has been a tremendous success, 1 million quid was a steal .

Prso pretty much dragged us to the title in 2004-2005. I think folk forget just how poor we were at times that season.

Jelavic really was a Rolls Royce of the Carlos Pena variety. His confidence was absolutely through the roof towards the end of season 2010, so much so he was boshing in free kicks he had no right to be hitting. In terms of ability, he's only second to a pre-injury Mols.

Can't really call between them.

Mols or Prso. Both fantastic strikers , exciting to watch and scored brilliant goals. If mols had stayed injury free he would have went on to have an amazing record.

Have to say I don’t remember Ally playing as a striker on his own mate.
I’ve probably not worded it correct was more meaning even in a two up front, he had much more about him than just a poachers instinct, he was also very good with the ball at his feet. CSKA maybe only time I can think as him being a loan striker

Discounting Mols because of the injury, it's Jelavic for me. The guy was different gravy, seemed like every touch just oozed class. Can't believe thats 10 years since he left, I'm still not sure folk realise how good he was. His stats elsewhere aren't amazing, so I suppose its understandable but for me he was phenomenal to watch.

I actually felt Cousin was very overrated, cracking business though as we sold him for £2m profit at the age of 30.

I feel he gets an awful lot of romanticism because of what he could do (on occasion) but in my opinion we only really seen that against Lyon and Celtic.

I actually thought Darcheville was a more consistent player to be honest.

If he was more consistent he’d absolutely be in the conversation, but didn’t score enough goals and didn’t show his best anywhere near enough for me.

Maybe a bit controversial, but Darcheville was a kinda ludicrous signing giving the wages we were paying him.

Close to 30k p/w on a 31-year-old who relies on speed but has gommy hamstrings. He did us a shift at times no doubt, but for that kind of money, you're looking for much more quality. Bordeaux replaced him with David Bellion who was basically the same player but younger.

Didn't even look like he knew how to score in his second season.

Maybe a bit controversial, but Darcheville was a kinda ludicrous signing giving the wages we were paying him.

Close to 30k p/w on a 31-year-old who relies on speed but has gommy hamstrings. He did us a shift at times no doubt, but for that kind of money, you're looking for much more quality. Bordeaux replaced him with David Bellion who was basically the same player but younger.

Didn't even look like he knew how to score in his second season.
Thankfully I was too young to know what we were paying him, I’m 90% certain he ended up playing for a Scottish junior team :))

Back