Our best striker since Mccoist?

Best striker since Mccoist?

• Total voters
I can really and I just did.

I can really and I just did.

For me on a personal level that four months before the injury I saw a guy whose touch, technique and control plus that turn, was and still is unlike anything I've ever seen. One of my biggest regrets is that we never got to see him against the likes of Stubbs and Mjalby before that injury. We'd still be talking about it now.

Do I think he was a better, more natural goalscorer that Jelavic or Negri or Boyd? No I don't.

But in terms of making a chance purely on his own, off of his own back, he and Alfie stand alone.

It's a testimony to Mols that he did come back and there were still some of those vintage 'turns'. But sadly, he never did get to hit the heights before early November 99.

Thing is, ironically, no Mols in Parma away in the 99 qualifier, there would have been no trip to Munich in the group stages thereafter. Mols, with his abilty hold the ball up on his own was the key that night.

As we say often and long, it's all about opinions.

That's a good detailed thought out reply.

My problem with Mols is that you need to see players over a long period of time or a fair bit longer than we saw Mols at his peak. My point is more fundamental with Mols we will never know if he would have went to be as good as he looked.
That's what I meant with Negri whom probably over a slightly longer period looked a different type of sensational and then zilch. Of course different players and clearly different attitudes. For those of us who watched Hutton we sold him after a golden period when he absolutely peaked but I doubted he would sustain that form and he didn't.

Mols holds a special place in the memories and affection of the support but what he might have went onto to do was not a given. Mols was never going to blow up a la a Charlie Miller (people probably forget how good he was ) but we will simply never know how good Mols could have been. For that reason in the context of the OP it's hard to justify a claim about him being the best since McCoist.

That's a good detailed thought out reply.

My problem with Mols is that you need to see players over a long period of time or a fair bit longer than we saw Mols at his peak. My point is more fundamental with Mols we will never know if he would have went to be as good as he looked.
That's what I meant with Negri whom probably over a slightly longer period looked a different type of sensational and then zilch. Of course different players and clearly different attitudes. For those of us who watched Hutton we sold him after a golden period when he absolutely peaked but I doubted he would sustain that form and he didn't.

Mols holds a special place in the memories and affection of the support but what he might have went onto to do was not a given. Mols was never going to blow up a la a Charlie Miller (people probably forget how good he was ) but we will simply never know how good Mols could have been. For that reason in the context of the OP it's hard to justify a claim about him being the best since McCoist.
I absolutely do see your point, and yes it does seem daft and/or extreme to base an opinion on just four months. But I do remember what I saw in that time frame and it was like nothing I'd ever seen up till then.

I remember early doors in the league we were at Tynecastle (we won 4-0 or 4-1 I'm sure) and I'd turned on Snyde in the second half and it was DJ in commentary. At one passage of play the ball had been passed to Mols with his back to goal and turned his marker outside in. The reaction from DJ on air was like he was having an orgasm. It was like Jeff Buckley at the start of Hallelujah.

Because DJ, like you and me had never seen this sort of play from a Rangers centre ever before. I still find it hard to believe he had never been sought out by other clubs before we did.

As I say, I do see your point, but I'm sticking to my guns.

Yours in wee, thrawn bachleness.

I’ve probably not worded it correct was more meaning even in a two up front, he had much more about him than just a poachers instinct, he was also very good with the ball at his feet. CSKA maybe only time I can think as him being a loan striker

Cheers mate.

That night was unreal. We must have had about 30 shots on goal & they somehow kept us out.

Jelavic is on the list. Boyd miller and naismith surely wouldn't be picked over the ones on it. Mols should be as stated above. Wallace mmmmm maybe aye
All time top league goalscorer shouldn’t be on it over Sandaza?

All time top league goalscorer shouldn’t be on it over Sandaza?
Sandaza was a joke.

I couldn't put down every single striker who has been mentioned on the thread. The point of topic was was is it jela prsomorelos or someone else. Someone else was an option to create debate and conversation. Does it really fecking matter if I listed him on the poll? Its a light hearted thread man chill oot

Prso carried us at times. There’s been better goal scorers but what a shift the guy put in each week. I honestly thought Mols was going to end up leaving us for Barca or Real before he got injured. But wasn’t able to do it for long enough.

100% alfie. He may have the odd off day, but when hes on it hes near enough unplayable. Jelavic was very good, cultured but simply relied on service. The work that Morelos does is incredible.

Back