Our best transfers ever?

In recent times …

Tav
Aribo
Morelos
Kamara
Bassey

All bought for relative pennies and either worth huge sums now or make huge contributions far above there transfer value.

John Greig
Graeme Souness (is that a transfer?)
Brian Laudrup
Gazza
Tav

Spending vs fee wise?
Aribo is a great shout. So too is Kamara. But they haven’t gone yet.

In struggling to think of someone we turned a big profit on tbh.

James Tavernier for £200k will go down as THE best or in the top 3 best transfers of our entire history when he finishes playing.

As he becomes a member of the 100 goals club and could potentially become only the third man to register 600 official appearances for the club, AND captain the club to a European Final.
This, for the reasons stated. Great servant to Rangers. Hopefully still for many years to come and a good few more trophies lifted by him.

Transfer valves are all relative to that period in time.

I’d say McCoist is the correct answer given what he achieved.

But throwing this name out for discussion:

John Brown

Think it was $100k to Dundee.

Read through the ‘worst transfers ever’ thread and it put me in such a shiter of a mood that I’m making this for therapy, and for hope that our recruitment is still excellent.

My contribution is Joe Aribo. Found him knocking about in the lower leagues of Engand, brought him up for a paltry £300k (1 week of Pogba’s wages), and he came within a scuffed penalty from being the hero that delivered us our first European trophy in 50 years. And is also someone we may still flip for an outrageous profit.
Super Dooper Cooper.

Off the top of my head

McCoist
Kamara
Morelos
Boyd

Was big Dado not a free aswel?

Edit. There have been loads but I'm assuming we're talking about cost/contribution and if we're lucky, the sell on fees.

Kamara, Aribo, Bassey recent brilliant signings.

Just before that Tav and Alfie.

Before that Novo and Prso and Cuellar and Papac.

John Brown, Goram, Gough and Ferguson all fabulous signings as were Ally and Hateley.

70s Bobby Russell, Cooper and Smith.

Always wary of recency bias when this sort of question comes up, but when you look in comparison to inferior players commanding transfer fees of tends of millions of pounds, it’s hard to see past James Tavernier.

This isn’t a guy we took advantage of a loophole for (such as Bassey or Aribo) or the benefit of them running their contract down (like Prso, Boumsong). Those transfers usually carry an offsetting high “signing bonus” and the weight of expectation, or at the very least potential.

£200k was Tav’s market value and we expected little. The consistency, leadership and standard he’s shown since has been remarkable. He’s had some (relatively brief) poor spells, but never hidden and never not shown determination and athleticism.

Read through the ‘worst transfers ever’ thread and it put me in such a shiter of a mood that I’m making this for therapy, and for hope that our recruitment is still excellent.

My contribution is Joe Aribo. Found him knocking about in the lower leagues of Engand, brought him up for a paltry £300k (1 week of Pogba’s wages), and he came within a scuffed penalty from being the hero that delivered us our first European trophy in 50 years. And is also someone we may still flip for an outrageous profit.
Brian laudrup an actual world class player for basically a couple of million quid .

Morelos for a million quid.

McCoist cost £185,000 but would have been a bargain at any price.

Boumsong made us £8 million in six months (don’t ask questions).

David Weir was the cornerstone of Walter’s second spell and cost us nothing.
Covers all the parameters of what a “good singing is.
There are other examples.
Like, who could say that guys like Greig, Jardine, Johnstone etc. weren’t good signings.

Getting away from recency bias. McCoist, Laudrup (he wasn’t buttons but he’s the best to play in this league and you can’t put a price on a player who can drag you through the 9 in a row season on his own), Rod Wallace, Steve Davis, Papac, Davie Weir. From a purely financial perspective Boumsong was a good deal, and I suspect Aribo and Morelos will be at some point too.

Interesting that most of our successful players have cost us the least but folk want us to spend spend spend
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Our most successful players of my lifetime - Laudrup, Hateley, Mo Johnstone, Goram, Gough and others - cost what you’d expect players of that calibre to cost. But the measure of success for a a transfer is value for money - those players offered it and exceeded our expectations, but not to the same level as a Morelos or Tav simply because of the fees paid.

Tav cost twice what Davie Cooper (my own hero) cost us, only 40 years and an explosion in transfer fees later. That’s utterly insane value for money.

We have a reasonably good hit rate with free or low cost transfers, certainly makes up for the misses that've cost us a couple million a pop

Guys like Tav, Morelos, Boyd, Novo, Weir have gave us an incredible return for under a million each

The cherry on the cake will be when we can start to move on guys bought in on frees or low fees for inflated fees after getting a good couple seasons from them

James Tavernier for £200k will go down as THE best or in the top 3 best transfers of our entire history when he finishes playing.

As he becomes a member of the 100 goals club and could potentially become only the third man to register 600 official appearances for the club, AND captain the club to a European Final.
If you're talking about our entire history then it has to be Alan Morton He was an amateur when Struth signed him from Queens Park when he turned pro, 17 trophies in 13 years is not a bad return for the faith Struth had in him

There's no right answer, so I'll throw in this one.

If we only count players who actually cost a transfer fee, then the signing from Hibs of Tommy Muirhead in 1917 deserves a mention. The fee was £20, which after allowing for inflation is only worth about £450 in today's money.

For that outlay, Rangers got nearly 400 appearances, a near 13 year Ibrox career, won 8 league titles, and Bill Struth rated him so highly that in 1926 he was appointed club captain ahead of Davie Meiklejohn.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Our most successful players of my lifetime - Laudrup, Hateley, Mo Johnstone, Goram, Gough and others - cost what you’d expect players of that calibre to cost. But the measure of success for a a transfer is value for money - those players offered it and exceeded our expectations, but not to the same level as a Morelos or Tav simply because of the fees paid.

Tav cost twice what Davie Cooper (my own hero) cost us, only 40 years and an explosion in transfer fees later. That’s utterly insane value for money.
Those prices were before the market exploded into the madness its at today.
The players youve mentioned would cost an absolute fortune today.
Butcher, the England Captain v todays England Captain would blow his price out the water.

Im sure I read that Souness never spent more than 2 million on a player while at Rangers

I always thought Stuart McCall was good value. He was one of the cheaper transfers at that time.

Stuart Munro and Stewart Kennedy (for one season) did much more than you would have expected for the transfer fees.

Got to be tav for me, bought for an absolute pittance and goes on to be be club captain and an absolute machine for us in the rb position. Captained us to our (probably) most important tittle win after 'the journey' and a European final.

If you're talking about our entire history then it has to be Alan Morton He was an amateur when Struth signed him from Queens Park when he turned pro, 17 trophies in 13 years is not a bad return for the faith Struth had in him
Incredible! Let’s see where James Tavernier finishes - I have zero doubt in my mind he will finish as one of our absolute best Rangers of all time.

Stuart Munro
Ally McCoist
Mo Johnston

In more modern times:
Morelos has been something else.
McGregor came back and saved us from some utter scuddings before being one of the inspirations for the title in 20/21.

For £350k, Rangers got almost the compete utility player, who then established himself at center half in John Brown.
Not buttons in terms of a transfer fee but for what we got out of him it was great value.

Stuart Munro
£25000 cost
£350000 sold
Profit 1400% or 7 times what we paid.

4 league titles
4 league cups
No one comes close

Incredible! Let’s see where James Tavernier finishes - I have zero doubt in my mind he will finish as one of our absolute best Rangers of all time.
Dont be daft, 2 medals after 6 years.
He will never get into double figures.
Hes good but couldnt come near players from the past.

Stuart Munro
Ally McCoist
Mo Johnston

In more modern times:
Morelos has been something else.
McGregor came back and saved us from some utter scuddings before being one of the inspirations for the title in 20/21.

For £350k, Rangers got almost the compete utility player, who then established himself at center half in John Brown.
Not buttons in terms of a transfer fee but for what we got out of him it was great value.
Forget Mo, but he did and still does annoy the tims.

Back