Our best transfers ever?

Dont be daft, 2 medals after 6 years.
He will never get into double figures.
Hes good but couldnt come near players from the past.
I take the point but if you only define “good” by the number of trophies won in a players time at the club then there’s a lot of contribution being ignored (in the case of Tav), and a lot of credit given for being around but not necessarily leading the success of a period.

There are a few players with league & cup medals from the 1990s who have contributed far less than Tav.

Name me one other Rangers defender who has finished top goal scorer in a European competition. In fact, name me one other defender form any club who has that achievement. Actually name me a Rangers player who has finished top goal scorer in a European competition and I will take anyone who has done it while with another club?

Let's add another challenge for you. Name me a defender (you can include non Rangers players) who has finished with better number than Tav did in this season: played 58, scored 18 and 17 assists. (20/21 was P 46, S 19, 16.

In what way does a 200k signing (accounting for football inflation market) , who was bought in to get us out of the championship and then go on to getting the numbers he does not come near to other signings?

Genuinely irritates me the amount of people in our fanbase who don't quite appreciate Tav.

To be clear, he may not be the best player to ever have signed for us. But when you factor in his stats, and the fact he cost 225k then I don't think there's any who can compete for goals/ assists per transfer fee.

Last edited:
Read through the ‘worst transfers ever’ thread and it put me in such a shiter of a mood that I’m making this for therapy, and for hope that our recruitment is still excellent.

My contribution is Joe Aribo. Found him knocking about in the lower leagues of Engand, brought him up for a paltry £300k (1 week of Pogba’s wages), and he came within a scuffed penalty from being the hero that delivered us our first European trophy in 50 years. And is also someone we may still flip for an outrageous profit.

Rod Wallace on a free at the time we were spending big in every other position.

Can’t believe anyone other than Tims still push this agenda tbh. Look at the teams he’s played with. Even the guys from the past would win %^*& all when shoved in a team with Bates and Martin at the back, with Josh Windass leading the line.

He has been part of the shittest sides we’ve ever had yet he still charges on. Are we saying Kirk Broadfoot was a better player for Rangers than James Tavernier because he has 8 medals?

What Tav has so far accomplished is incredible for a right back - this hatred of him is so strange.

James Tavernier
Appearances - 345
Goals - 83
Assists - 91

1x SPL title
1x Scottish cup
1x Europa league runner up
1x Scottish championship
1x Scottish Challenge Cup

1x Sam English Bowl
1x Europa league golden boot
PFA player of the year 2021
Rangers Players player of the year 2021, 2022
2022 Europa Team of the Year

Can’t believe anyone other than Tims still push this agenda tbh. Look at the teams he’s played with. Even the guys from the past would win %^*& all when shoved in a team with Bates and Martin at the back, with Josh Windass leading the line.
100% correct brother. You just know these are the same people who wanted Hodson in front of Tav. Then Flanagan. Then Polster. Then Patterson. Absolute loonballs.

Name me one other Rangers defender who has finished top goal scorer in a European competition. In fact, name me one other defender form any club who has that achievement. Actually name me a Rangers player who has finished top goal scorer in a European competition and I will take anyone who has done it while with another club?

Let's add another challenge for you. Name me a defender (you can include non Rangers players) who has finished with better number than Tav did in this season: played 58, scored 18 and 17 assists. (20/21 was P 46, S 19, 16.

In what way does a 200k signing (accounting for football inflation market) , who was bought in to get us out of the championship and then go on to getting the numbers he does not come near to other signings?

Genuinely irritates me the amount of people in our fanbase who don't quite appreciate Tav.

To be clear, he may not be the best player to ever have signed for us. But when you factor in his stats, and the fact he cost 225k then I don't think there's any who can compete for goals/ assists per transfer fee.
I said he was good, but he isnt a legend or one of the best ever as the previous said.
The bottom line is trophies won as it always is.

I personally have always said he was good , theres plenty on here that s slated him being a poor captain , cant defend.
Your forgetting the question at the start, my reply was Stuart Munro.

He has been part of the shittest sides we’ve ever had yet he still charges on. Are we saying Kirk Broadfoot was a better player for Rangers than James Tavernier because he has 8 medals?

What Tav has so far accomplished is incredible for a right back - this hatred of him is so strange.

James Tavernier
Appearances - 345
Goals - 83
Assists - 91

1x SPL title
1x Scottish cup
1x Europa league runner up
1x Scottish championship
1x Scottish Challenge Cup

1x Sam English Bowl
1x Europa league golden boot
PFA player of the year 2021
Rangers Players player of the year 2021, 2022
2022 Europa Team of the Year
Wheres the hatred mate?
Dont accuse me of that.
There was a question and i replied, i never said kirk broadfoot.
Sam english bowl and challenge cup FFS .
I said Stuart Munro due to making 14 times what we paid for as well as having to play under wallace and souness and winning 8 trophys.
In those days , defenders defended , assists were not relevant.
BTW , i really rate Tav, but as i say again, thats not what the question was.

Much prefer a thread like this well played op.

My shouts for best signings not just based on transfer fee are
Cooper
McCoist
Butcher
Mark Walters
Hateley
Goram
Laudrup
Gazza
Modern day it’s Tav every day of the week.

Wheres the hatred mate?
Dont accuse me of that.
There was a question and i replied, i never said kirk broadfoot.
Sam english bowl and challenge cup FFS .
I said Stuart Munro due to making 14 times what we paid for as well as having to play under wallace and souness and winning 8 trophys.
In those days , defenders defended , assists were not relevant.
BTW , i really rate Tav, but as i say again, thats not what the question was.
Sam English bowl is the individual honour for Rangers top scorer. Bemused why any Rangers supporter would downplay that tbh. But there we are.

It isn’t “those days”. Football has evolved and thankfully it is. And James Tavernier has been, and continues to be an exceptional asset and captain for Rangers. He will go down as one of THE greatest when he finishes playing for us. Happy to bet whatever you want.

In my lifetime, Alex McDonald, Bobby Russell, Davie Cooper, Ally McCoist, Terry Butcher, Richard Gough, Mark Hateley, Andy Goram, Brian Laudrup, Gazza, Jorg Albertz, Davie Weir, Steven Davis, Tav, Alfie, Allan McGregor & Goldson.

Sam English bowl is the individual honour for Rangers top scorer. Bemused why any Rangers supporter would downplay that tbh. But there we are.

It isn’t “those days”. Football has evolved and thankfully it is. And James Tavernier has been, and continues to be an exceptional asset and captain for Rangers. He will go down as one of THE greatest when he finishes playing for us. Happy to bet whatever you want.
The question wasnt in the past 10 years.
It was pound for pound who was the best signing.
I can only in theory go back to 1979 as that was my first game with DJ scoring the only goal.
I put stuart munro, my second may have been mccoist.
As for defences now being different , thats fine by me but ultimately its silverware that i want.
As for the Sam English bowl, thats great but i would have preferred the league.
Theres 3 cups here and europe, thats what matters, nothing else crosses my mind.

Not everybodys favourite, but big Davie Mcpherson did a job and was well thought of by Walter.

I said he was good, but he isnt a legend or one of the best ever as the previous said.
The bottom line is trophies won as it always is.
The question wasnt in the past 10 years.
It was pound for pound who was the best signing.
I can only in theory go back to 1979 as that was my first game with DJ scoring the only goal.
I put stuart munro, my second may have been mccoist.
As for defences now being different , thats fine by me but ultimately its silverware that i want.
As for the Sam English bowl, thats great but i would have preferred the league.
Theres 3 cups here and europe, thats what matters, nothing else crosses my mind.
Best transfer will mean looking at the individual contribution of that player. Of which James Tavernier’s contribution is astronomical. One of only 4 captains to captain us to a European final. Captained us to the most coveted and desired title triumph in our history. When he finishes with us I have zero doubts whatsoever that he goes down as one of our greatest every servants.

This squad has a lot of entries.

Tav, Morelos, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Bassey, Lundstram.

All brought in for a grand total of under 2m (not including agents fees).

Mental when you think of it.

Best transfer will mean looking at the individual contribution of that player. Of which James Tavernier’s contribution is astronomical. One of only 4 captains to captain us to a European final. Captained us to the most coveted and desired title triumph in our history. When he finishes with us I have zero doubts whatsoever that he goes down as one of our greatest every servants.
Youve convinced me, ever thought of going into politics . ( not SNP)

McGregor (Free)
Tavernier (200k) Boumsong (Free) Weir (Free) Munro (20k per TM)
Walters (500k) Wilkins (250k) Kamara (50k) Cooper (100k)
McCoist (185k) Prso (Free)

If you're talking about our entire history then it has to be Alan Morton He was an amateur when Struth signed him from Queens Park when he turned pro, 17 trophies in 13 years is not a bad return for the faith Struth had in him
Recently done the tour of Ibrox and a portrait of Alan Morton hangs as you go up the marble staircase at the top. Tour guide told the story that when Rangers signed him from Queens Park he had it wrote into his contract (an agreement with Mr Struth) that he would remain part time as a player and train at night, because he had a very good job in his families mining business. Thought that was quite a story considering what he achieved as a player.

I think this time next year, the board will be in agreement that Bassey is our best ever signing.

Superb in our run to a European final, MOTM in the final, hopefully help us into the Champions League groups, then sold for a record fee and massive profit - all from signing for a nominal fee.

We all have our favourite's , Colin Stein was my hero. McCoist, Albertz, Cooper etc. But for £1million, at the time, Mark Hateley was amazing. He won us games on his own and terrified teams.

Away from current bargain squad,
John Greig and Sandy Jardine didn't cost us a brass razoo.
Slim Jim £17k
Dave Smith
Alex McDonald
Super Ally
Davie Cooper

Bloody well said.

Back