Our board and the war we face

Wake up for fux sake.

Until we stop providing the fuel for the haters to throw bombs at us then the board are powerless.

Again, I've asked the sings stop being sung.

Here's the rub, someone went for a high powered role at the club recently (not me) and highlighted issues that the club had to take a stance on as far as trying to market us goes and were told that as long as Andrew Dickson and Stewsrt Stewsrt Robertson remain in their roles, we'll essentially role over every single time.

Again, this isn't about these songs. It's the wider picture of how we're an easy target on all matters.

Like we did post 2006?

Did it stop them coming after us? We're other clubs targeted for similar "offences"?
Did we stop singing it after 2006?

Funny I thought we did and thats what the ban is for?

Stop using what Celtic do as a justification. As I've said in other threads, if you get caught speeding, saying "someone else was going faster than me 5 minutes ago" is not a justification

Aye, it's all FAREs fault.

Bin this fucking thread.
It’s certainly their fault that they end up at every Rangers European match. No other club is treated like this. None. It’s also FARE’s fault that they haven’t reported Celtc for their abysmal behaviour and singing. Why were they not reported for Frank de Boer being a sad orange bast@rd, every bit as ‘racist’ as TBB or Super Rangers. Every single game they sing bigoted and sectarian songs. Not once have they been punished in the manner we have. The system needs addressed ASAP. Our board need to go to town on it. Yes, we have to be smart and stop certain songs and add-ons but the sham needs tackled but it’s not acceptable for us to be punished all the time and the actions of others just brushed aside. We are far too subservient as a club and support. We Really need to start standing up for ourselves.

I agree we should stop, but the question is - what do they come for next?

We completely stopped TBB etc and they started coming for the bouncy & WATP etc.

When you bend over and take it as much as our club do, these folk will relentlessly pummel you.
It’s frustrating and saddening that folk can’t see this. They are like lemmings lining up to walk off the cliff edge

They have been trying to run us into the ground for over a decade now yet too many of our fans - and board also it would seem - are content to keep conceding ground and not having the stomach to take our enemies on. Admittedly when more or less the full force of your own country’s media is also trained against you it makes it even harder but we need to make a stand here, primarily against FARE and the lack of transparency and fairness from UEFA, and highlight Mr O’Hagan’s role in it all

Stop using what Celtic do as a justification. As I've said in other threads, if you get caught speeding, saying "someone else was going faster than me 5 minutes ago" is not a justification

Yes we did stop singing it after 2006. It didn't stop then from attempting to come after other songs.

We absolutely bent over in 2006. I didn't expect the club to attempt to defend the use of the word 19th Century Terrorist, but to meekly accept TBB being banned in its entirety, whilst other clubs could sing a modified version was weak in the extreme. You know what happens when an attacker senses weakness?

Our club was nearly killed a few years later. Coincidentally?

I think this IS all about the songs, or certain songs.

If Rangers fans stop singing these songs at matches then no-one, UEFA or anyone else, can touch the club. It really is as simple as that.

This thread, with bears arguing against bears and quite a bit of mischief-making, demonstrates what happens when there is no leadership.
Our club needs a CEO.
I quite like many of your posts but I don't understand your point. What isn't Stewart Robertson doing that he should be in this situation?

The OP is 100% correct.

Too many people on here simply cannot practice nuance. Folk who think criticism of FARE is justification for the songs, in spite of no such thing being said. Or that we can’t mention Celtic’s behaviour as well as being critical of our own.

This situation isn’t black and white, people treating it as such must live very insular lives.

Stopping the songs is the first part of a far bigger battle. If you believe stopping the songs makes all of this go away, then I have some magic beans to sell you.

Yes we did stop singing it after 2006. It didn't stop then from attempting to come after other songs.

We absolutely bent over in 2006. I didn't expect the club to attempt to defend the use of the word 19th Century Terrorist, but to meekly accept TBB being banned in its entirety, whilst other clubs could sing a modified version was weak in the extreme. You know what happens when an attacker senses weakness?

Our club was nearly killed a few years later. Coincidentally?
Sums up my thoughts. We are far too soft a target. When you look at how untouchable the scum are, we are a sitting duck and it’s all down to those in charge.

I quite like many of your posts but I don't understand your point. What isn't Stewart Robertson doing that he should be in this situation?

There should have been serious attempts at dialogue with supporters, particularly those at away matches and European games. The threat from UEFA/FARE and people closer to home surely required a much more proactive approach.

Stewart Robertson talked about 'outreach' in the 'Everyone, Anyone' campaign when the people we really have to talk to are those in supporters clubs.

The main problem throughout the Murray years was that there was a gulf between the club and support. This has continued under the new board. However, even Martin Bain attacked FARE and publicised warnings about their presence at Rangers matches.

I also believe the club has to spell out exactly which songs and words are condemned by the club and stop hiding behind generalisations.

Your analogy isn’t really true though. The law works considerably on precedence. I appreciate UEFA isn’t the law, but the fact they just make it up as they go along explains the chaos.

I think this IS all about the songs, or certain songs.

If Rangers fans stop singing these songs at matches then no-one, UEFA or anyone else, can touch the club. It really is as simple as that.

I'd like to agree.

However, let's for a second say you are correct and we stop all the add ons. What's to stop them coming after, for example, Derry's Walls? On the basis that "no surrender" is associated to an attitude that is sectarian.

The letter UEFA sent to the club used this term specifically. A song doesn't need to be directly sectarian. It just need to be associated with a sectarian attitude!

I'd like to agree.

However, let's for a second say you are correct and we stop all the add ons. What's to stop them coming after, for example, Derry's Walls? On the basis that "no surrender" is associated to an attitude that is sectarian.

The letter UEFA sent to the club used this term specifically. A song doesn't need to be directly sectarian. It just need to be associated with a sectarian attitude!

Songs like The Sash and Derry's Walls celebrate a culture rather than overtly denigrate another.

Songs like The Sash and Derry's Walls celebrate a culture rather than overtly denigrate another.

I know that. You know that.

But who is to say that they can't attempt to associate that with a sectarian attitude. That is in the letter that they sent to the club in 2006 as a basis for banning TBB as well as the melody, meaning we can't sing alternative words as that would apparently still be associated with that attitude.

Aye it's impossible to become an established football team without singing "%^*& the pope"......no other team has ever done it
From youth club status, in small country, with second rate league. I'm fairly certain being a good team didn't give us millions of fans worldwide. But you believe otherwise, that's fine.

It’s certainly their fault that they end up at every Rangers European match. No other club is treated like this. None. It’s also FARE’s fault that they haven’t reported Celtc for their abysmal behaviour and singing. Why were they not reported for Frank de Boer being a sad orange bast@rd, every bit as ‘racist’ as TBB or Super Rangers. Every single game they sing bigoted and sectarian songs. Not once have they been punished in the manner we have. The system needs addressed ASAP. Our board need to go to town on it. Yes, we have to be smart and stop certain songs and add-ons but the sham needs tackled but it’s not acceptable for us to be punished all the time and the actions of others just brushed aside. We are far too subservient as a club and support. We Really need to start standing up for ourselves.

Was it ever established, or otherwise, if it was Piara Power's wife giving it anti-British chanting in the video? Definite Kryptonite if true.

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/re-fare-again.43591/

If the fans stop singing the unacceptable songs from this moment forward, today is a blessing in disguise for the club. The sanction which has been offered is relatively minor and will not put Rangers at any competitive disadvantage. Whatever your personal opinion on the Billy Boys and other such songs, we have to accept that it is no longer appropriate for them to be sung within Ibrox or other football grounds. If certain fans continue to sing the Billy Boys, they are making it clear that their desire to rebel is greater than their love of the club. There are countless other songs - Rangers songs - which we can sing, and as our fanbase continues to grow and diversify, these are the songs which we should be promoting.

This does not mean that those of us from a Protestant, Unionist background cannot sing songs associated with our culture and our heritage. Songs such as The Sash are not sectarian and can be freely sung, but when we belt out the Billy Boys or chant FTP, we give our enemies the chance to deem our culture and our club 'sectarian'.

I know that. You know that.

But who is to say that they can't attempt to associate that with a sectarian attitude. That is in the letter that they sent to the club in 2006 as a basis for banning TBB as well as the melody, meaning we can't sing alternative words as that would apparently still be associated with that attitude.

A lot of UEFA’s letters and statements in matters like this seem to be written by people who don’t have a great command of English. The 2006 letter to the club was one such example - it referred to ‘all forms of ‘Billy Boys’ songs’.

Looking back at instances the club and support have been sanctioned at home and abroad, they all involve ‘19th Century Terrorist’ or ‘FTP’ or The Famine Song.

The argument ‘what will they come for next’ has always struck me as deflection.

From a legal perspective, ‘The Billy Boys’ was effectively criminalised in 2003 by section 74 of McConnell’s Criminal Justice Act.

We are caught in a culture war. No war like this can ever be won by getting drunk and singing songs.

SR has his strengths, JMCK but being a figurehead, a comms-savvy leader who champions the club is demonstrably not one of them and it'd be unfair and unproductive to put him in that position. Keep him where he is.
As to what said CEO should do, I've posted repeatedly on that.
We're obviously not doing this right, it needs changed.

SR has his strengths, JMCK but being a figurehead, a comms-savvy leader who champions the club is demonstrably not one of them and it'd be unfair and unproductive to put him in that position. Keep him where he is.
As to what said CEO should do, I've posted repeatedly on that.
We're obviously not doing this right, it needs changed.
I actually agree with you on the broader point about a CEO; I remember once suggesting that where the club is right doesn't to allow for that. I do agree with you, when it comes to the broader running of the club, and hopefully that will happen in time.

I actually agree with you on the broader point about a CEO; I remember once suggesting that where the club is right doesn't to allow for that. I do agree with you, when it comes to the broader running of the club, and hopefully that will happen in time.

It needs to happen now, the club is effectively leaderless. We need to insulate the manager from this as far as possible or he could start to listen to offers, he has a very bright future ahead of him as a manager. He didn't sign up for this.

The current board are knackered in terms of fighting this tbh. These rules were brought into place while David Murray watched on and let us be hammered by everyone without reply. Murray let them make the rules against us without a fight. In fact he backed them up. The fact is the rules are now in place, we knew/ know them and have chanced our arm in ignoring them. We have now found out that ignoring them is a very bad idea. We must learn the lessons and box clever. To be fair we have a vast song book that doesn’t contravene the rules so we have no more excuses.

Dress this issue up anyway you want. The bottom line is that it needs to stop now. Fact.
The board have to address the bad press, lies and sticking the boot into us at every opportunity. The club has nothing if they dont have us. IMO lack of leadership from our Board has probably left our supporters thinking sing these songs. We need the club to guide us.That new initiative Everywhere Anywhere any one for me is hollow. Cards on the table from the Board. Guide us. Stand up for this great club because you have shown weakness and everybody has lined up for a boot at us. This is a war don't you know.

The club still need to get on uefa case why it’s only our games FARE are attending and what links they have to the scum
Was it no someone called Power that had a relation to Celtic ?

Again, I've asked the sings stop being sung.

Here's the rub, someone went for a high powered role at the club recently (not me) and highlighted issues that the club had to take a stance on as far as trying to market us goes and were told that as long as Andrew Dickson and Stewsrt Stewsrt Robertson remain in their roles, we'll essentially role over every single time.

Again, this isn't about these songs. It's the wider picture of how we're an easy target on all matters.

Did said person get the job

The current board are knackered in terms of fighting this tbh. These rules were brought into place while David Murray watched on and let us be hammered by everyone without reply. Murray let them make the rules against us without a fight. In fact he backed them up. The fact is the rules are now in place, we knew/ know them and have chanced our arm in ignoring them. We have now found out that ignoring them is a very bad idea. We must learn the lessons and box clever. To be fair we have a vast song book that doesn’t contravene the rules so we have no more excuses.

Sorry, that's nonsense, notwithstanding Murray selling out the club for his grubby knighthood, the current board and Dave King in particular have to meet this challenge and defeat it. They/he must accept that their current approach has failed and must change.

Let's get the usual clarifications out of the way...

Folk should be aware that the likes of FARE operate in a manner to harm Rangers.
Fans well and truly know what word isn't allowed to be sung and that singing Super Rangers or TBB is moronic.
There's no defending the actions of fans who continue to ignore this however "put upon" we might be on the matter.

That being said. Our fucking board really need to wake up and declare outright war on these fucking cunts. From FARE to the likes of the BBC, anyone like Spiers and the other selectarian crusaders who darken the Scottish press with their pish or cunts like the convicted drunk driving Killie board member happy to slander our fans after they've been crushed at their midden.

Trying to fix problems with the BBC isn't working. Appeasing FARE with nice campaigns on the screens at Ibrox isn't working. Pandering to people who hate us isn't working either.

Start by employing a PR firm that actually fucking know what they're doing in terms of presenting the business.

We're in a war and being attacked on a daily basis and while our board did a lot to help us in ridding the Spivs, they've been congratulated on that enough too. Start defending us in the manner we need given the current political situation in Scotland.

I said the same on another thread. I'm sick of us taking it on the chin every time. FARE is an organisation run by people with well known Celtic connections and Rangers never seem to highlight that fact.

Can you imagine Manchester United not pointing it out if a Liverpool sympathetic group was continually highlighting every misdemeanour by their fans whilst ignoring those of others? Or Barcelona and Real Madrid, Ajax and Feyenoord and most other clubs with a heated rivalry like ours? Not bloody likely.

I'm not defending the singing of the songs. They're of the past and should be left there and those singing them still need to have a long hard look at themselves before they do the club even more damage than they already have. But Rangers as a club should be asking questions of FARE and their motives and it really pisses me off that we don't.

Sorry, that's nonsense, notwithstanding Murray selling out the club for his grubby knighthood, the current board and Dave King in particular have to meet this challenge and defeat it. They/he must accept that their current approach has failed and must change.
What exactly can the board do now. The rules are already in place. Is it a case of king standing on a soap box arguing over the word 19th Century Terrorist? That’s not going to happen.

There may certainly be a battle in terms of looking at why certain other teams get away with similar things but we won’t be able to justify some of our songbook and get the rules changed at this stage.

What exactly can the board do now. The rules are already in place. Is it a case of king standing on a soap box arguing over the word 19th Century Terrorist? That’s not going to happen.

There may certainly be a battle in terms of looking at why certain other teams get away with similar things but we won’t be able to justify some of our songbook and get the rules changed at this stage.

I'm not indulging gormless straw men. I've posted what I think the club needs to do repeatedly on here today.

There are people working round the clock to harm our club and Rangers as a football club need to call them out

We are the victims of a sectarian witch-hunt

They’re are numerous other examples with other clubs but it’s Rangers that are being targeted by the sane people who are turning a blind eye to similar behaviour elsewhere

It won’t stop ever , even if we sat and said nothing they’d still find something , our very existence disturbs them

We must defend this as a club and be allowed our say , it’s getting that bad that if we are in with a chance of winning the league this season they’ll be calling for a points deduction for waving a union flag

We are in a war Rangers ... wakey wakey it’s time to fight back and fight dirty

This wouldn’t happen to Man United

And another thing I think this whole thing is been driven to ban us from Europe as the mentally challengeds need champions league football to survive with their 60 million wage bill , if we were to win the league and handed a European ban then it would leave a clear path for the club like no other to take our place

The IRA choirmaster and uefa delegate Delaney and his cronies with be pushing this

Rangers as a club must fight this and question the integrity of the people continually reporting our club

This is the worst thing I've ever read.

I'm not indulging gormless straw men. I've posted what I think the club needs to do repeatedly on here today.
Aw f##k off. The club is in danger of being booted out of Europe ffs. I’m not interested in acts of defiance at this stage. Our club is still recovering from the disaster of 2012 and in our current position are not winning a battle with uefa.

Let's get our house in order then we can finger point at others

Am afraid this is what we have to do! Personally I think Uefa are out of order and think it is unjust to punish innocent fans also I am not so sure they should be doing this and whether it could be challenged? Funny how that pos from parkhead gets a position and right away we get punished?

When you get down to it if they are going to do this then all songs should come under offensive if they are then all should face similar punishments! Are Uefa the law now? Should they not be dealing on the football side of things? Ach I dont know anymore I am old school sing what you want then go home however we are where we are and as weevlad says the way forward is to change the words and then we can go challenge the FARE, BBC, NBM and other scum that have targetted us!

I feel for the old white men of this forum, scared for their place in society - what will life be if we can’t sing about 19th Century Terrorists and the pope. Whilst the rest of us realise the world moves on and just want to watch a successful team.

It’s quite simple - stop singing songs we know will harm the club. Those that can’t stop singing for 90 mins (I don’t care what you sing in a pub, in your house, anywhere else - give the 19th Century Terrorists big licks anywhere else) in Ibrox or in an away ground, I have to question their intentions to be quite honest. Do you want to harm the club? Or are you just mentally deficient?

From youth club status, in small country, with second rate league. I'm fairly certain being a good team didn't give us millions of fans worldwide. But you believe otherwise, that's fine.

There are loads and loads of clubs that show your theory to be total shit

There IS more to Rangers than what you think it is.

You slightly cheapen it by thinking that’s all it is

People who love the club now love it because of the likes of Laudrup, goals, football

There are loads and loads of clubs that show your theory to be total shit

There IS more to Rangers than what you think it is.

You slightly cheapen it by thinking that’s all it is

People who love the club now love it because of the likes of Laudrup, goals, football

EOL is a dinosaur, but instead of him being in danger of instinction him and his pals who can’t adapt to modern life are endangering the future of the club. He can’t see it, buts it’s an incredibly selfish position.

Back