Our Club does care

I’m really fed up with people moaning about everything so thought I’d share a nice story. The lady who has sat next to me at Ibrox for as long as I can remember is turning 90 in October. She is a fantastic lady who has beaten cancer and, at aged 89, she started going on a supporters bus as she doesn’t like driving at night. Anyway, I contacted the Club about her and she got a lovely letter from Stewart Robertson inviting Rena and a guest to the Directors Box for the St Mirren Game. A lovely touch for someone who first went to Ibrox when she was 8.
I was Rena’s neighbour in Barrhead for a few years. A lovely woman. Incredible what she achieves at her age. She’s an inspiration.

I’m really fed up with people moaning about everything so thought I’d share a nice story. The lady who has sat next to me at Ibrox for as long as I can remember is turning 90 in October. She is a fantastic lady who has beaten cancer and, at aged 89, she started going on a supporters bus as she doesn’t like driving at night. Anyway, I contacted the Club about her and she got a lovely letter from Stewart Robertson inviting Rena and a guest to the Directors Box for the St Mirren Game. A lovely touch for someone who first went to Ibrox when she was 8.
How refreshing to hear a positive story for a change.

Thank you

Great news. My dad turned 90 in September, he had to give his ST up 2 years ago. Tom Lawrence sent him a nice wee video message and hopefully if he gets to a stage we will get him into hospitality for one last game.
The auld yins are great. My uncle passed away three years ago but he was still getting to Ibrox every home game until he was 93. Every goalie was compared to Jerry Dawson. Every defender compared to Willie Woodburn. Every forward compared to Willie Waddell. Those were the days.

Nicely done Christine!

Thanks for sharing.

I'd imagine Rena has some great stories to tell of attending Ibrox in the 40s and 50s - how she travelled to and from the matches and what the pre and post match routines were and what it was like in the stadium back then.

Would love to hear more from this generation of Rangers supporter.
Lovely gesture from the club!
Agree that I would also love to hear some stories she could tell from her many years follow following the Rangers.
In fact it would be great if the club could do a video feature on our older generation of supporters telling stories of years gone by. I am sure we would all love that.

Sorry for derailing but I hope she has a beautiful and memorable day as a special guest!

A fantastic gesture, and one you should be congratulated for in bringing to everyones attention.

Sadly, it shouldnt be intertwined with the legitimate, larger scale issues at operational and infrastructure level.

Credit where it is due, and critcism when deserved.

A principle applicable in all walks of life.

On this, very well done RFC.

What a lady I'm 70 and first game for me was 8 years old 1960 ,hope she enjoys her day and many many more!

That’s great and Agree with your general point. Somethings the board can’t do right for doing wrong and it just seems fashionable to have a go.

Well done Christine! The club should go a step further and that lady should get a free season ticket for the rest of her days. What a women x

I bloody love that story.

The OP is right though, the negativity on here, and it does seem to just be an online thing thankfully, is way over the top. Out-with the cesspit that is social media the issues constantly raised on here, or the rage towards Bisgrove/Robertson etc isn't a thing in real life. You speak to friends, family, work colleagues and our board is never, ever, ever mentioned.

I genuinely think so many people spend too much of their lives online that they feel their opinion holds more weight than it actually does. As we can now communicate directly via twitter etc I believe people feel they should be listened too and what they are saying online should mean something. When they don't get answers they then get really annoyed as if its something personal.

In reality what is said online is the equivalent to the crap you talk in the pub when you're p*shed. It doesn't mean anything and no one cares or remembers the next day.

I bloody love that story.

The OP is right though, the negativity on here, and it does seem to just be an online thing thankfully, is way over the top. Out-with the cesspit that is social media the issues constantly raised on here, or the rage towards Bisgrove/Robertson etc isn't a thing in real life. You speak to friends, family, work colleagues and our board is never, ever, ever mentioned.

I genuinely think so many people spend too much of their lives online that they feel their opinion holds more weight than it actually does. As we can now communicate directly via twitter etc I believe people feel they should be listened too and what they are saying online should mean something. When they don't get answers they then get really annoyed as if its something personal.

In reality what is said online is the equivalent to the crap you talk in the pub when you're p*shed. It doesn't mean anything and no one cares or remembers the next day.

first post and last post, if only FF could learn from them, would make the forum far more enjoyable.

That’s great to hear, Christine. These wee stories make all the difference. It also tells us what a great support we have, with people like you helping out fellow bears. I still remember, for those that don’t know, that you did a grand job with the RST.
That’s really kind of you to say that Stanley. I wish we had the RST back.

Stuff like this warms the heart, excellent from the club. Hope she enjoys her day and gets the red carpet treatment

I’m section J and if Rena is who I think she is she’s a legend. I was in the toilet at half time of the Dundee Utd game at the same time as her and she remarked that she could move quicker than some of our players. I was buckled :))
That’s definitely Rena. What row are you?

Everything about this is brilliant hope she enjoys her day the supporters bus part made me laugh. Can’t even imagine the highs and lows she has experienced watching the famous. Who is her favourite player ever .

Brilliant

Everything about this is brilliant hope she enjoys her day the supporters bus part made me laugh. Can’t even imagine the highs and lows she has experienced watching the famous. Who is her favourite player ever .
I’ve never asked her. I will next time I speak to her. Next time I see her will be the Liverpool game. Another story about Rena. Her only son David has lived in Australia for 20+ years but renews his season ticket every year. He wanted Rena to go over to Australia for her birthday but she made excuses not to go until 5th November. I’m not sure what she told him but the real reason was that she didn’t want to miss the Champions League games.

I’ve never asked her. I will next time I speak to her. Next time I see her will be the Liverpool game. Another story about Rena. Her only son David has lived in Australia for 20+ years but renews his season ticket every year. He wanted Rena to go over to Australia for her birthday but she made excuses not to go until 5th November. I’m not sure what she told him but the real reason was that she didn’t want to miss the Champions League games.
True blue it’s a fantastic story it’s all about the rangers can’t go anywhere till their not playing. Love it please let me know who she says her favourite player is dunno why but I’m going to guess SlimJim Baxter

The auld yins are great. My uncle passed away three years ago but he was still getting to Ibrox every home game until he was 93. Every goalie was compared to Jerry Dawson. Every defender compared to Willie Woodburn. Every forward compared to Willie Waddell. Those were the days.
I know where your coming from. My old fella couldn't see by Jerry Dawson, he eventually gave into andy goram after elland rd. I took that as a win, but wasn't going to attempt a defensive argument with him as it was a hopeless task trying to get him to see by the iron curtain defense.

Back