Our defence looks solid

Recoba

Official Ticketer
We are defending well as a team

1 goal conceded in the last 5 matches and that was a goal that should never have stood.

Teams are hardly getting a shot on goal against us never mind a goal.

This is a great foundation to build from.

Its great to win by 3 or 4 but as Liverpool have shown this season grinding out a single goal win gets you the same amount of points.

We all know how good our team is when we are firing and i'm sure we will be back to those levels within a game or two

1 goal conceded in the last 5 matches and that was a goal that should never have stood.

Its great to win by 3 or 4 but as Liverpool have shown this season grinding out a single goal win gets you the same amount of points.

We all know how good our team is when we are firing and i'm sure we will be back to those levels within a game or two
Don't be getting all positive over a win and 3 points

We are defiantly great at the back, but still not having Tav in the back 4 gives me the fear at times, especially last night not having that attacking threat that he usually brings.

We are defiantly great at the back, but still not having Tav in the back 4 gives me the fear at times, especially last night not having that attacking threat that he usually brings.
Of course he was a big miss and we need him back asap, i am just focussing on our defensive stats on this thread.

We are pretty solid however we gave them one chance last night that a decent forward would have got on target and could have levelled the game.

We are pretty solid however we gave them one chance last night that a decent forward would have got on target and could have levelled the game.
It would be great to go through every game without conceding chances but thats just not realistic

This is the best our defence has looked for many many years imo

Agree, but all teams will get a decent chance, but our defensive set up is keeping those chances down this season

I like how hungry our centre halfs look and the desire to not concede shines through from McGregor, Goldson and Katic and radiates throughout the squad.

Two years ago we are drawing that game from a last minute headed equaliser from the the corner in injury time.

This is the point I would make, especially to avoid complacency. The header ended up only 6/7 yards out and the guy should have scored.

Grinding out three points after three points means we need solid foundations and that is what Gerrard has built with that defence. We have enough to sneak goals when playing poorly (a real improvement on last year) and that means we should have enough to take us over the line this year.

the CB options are the best we have had for a while. I think the midifeld have been better at turning the ball over aswell. Kamara and Jack in particular really break up a lot of moves in the middle of the park, so teams resort to lumping balls into the box for Katic the salmon to head away.

We go into games (even "tough" away games) and we control most of the game due to our midfield. Our defence is solid and we have a system and players that don't leave them too exposed.

Despite Ibrox getting all nervy last night, I thought we looked solid and comfortable.

Just need to figure out patterns of play to break down these low blocks and we'll hammer these teams.

If go back to our last 7 games , one was offside and only “shot “ on target and other was an own goal

We've got the best defense we've had in years in terms of conceding goals and attacking play from the full backs. Still feel we gift a couple chances each game but fortunately not too many of them have led to goals.

Katic shouldn't be dropped

There's no reason this year to drop him.

Also with stuffy teams he's a massive threat from set pieces
He's my favourite defender, I'd never have him dropped.
He got on the end of a few crosses last night again, on another day he could have scored a couple. His pressence attacking is just as vital especially as you say against stuffy defences which we will be seeing much more of especially at Ibrox. Helander and Goodson aren't too bad attacking either but they don't have the presence and desire Niko has to get on the end of every cross.

Noticed last night davis moving back to stand in front of the striker and then usually our centre half coming through to jump and go in front slightly of the striker to win high ball as the striker couldnt really get a jump then.

Also lot more shouting,talking between the defence helps as well,see katic and bora talking a lot.
Possibly on the right not as strong tonight with tav out and midfielders not used playing with flanagan so was some issues at times with cover.

Katic shouldn't be dropped

There's no reason this year to drop him.

Also with stuffy teams he's a massive threat from set pieces

the back 4 of JT NK CG BB is the strongest weve had since smiths uefa run so they must stay like that in every game when possible

Reactions: cav

totally agree mate, some days you get the 5-0 and 6-2 wins and some days you just grind it out and get the job done. Felt the team knew they were comfortable at 1-0. Last year at 1-0, my heart was in my mouth because i thought we could concede at any minute. But this year i dont have that fear, feel we can see the game out.

People will argue against it until they’re blue in the face,but Goldson looks so much more comfortable beside Katic-and the latter seems to be growing in confidence as well which is a positive sign for me.

Loved seeing him barking orders at others last night,determined we weren’t going to give the opposition a sniff.

I will go against the grain here, twice last night Katic got caught out by his positional sense.

He had similar moments against Stranraer and Kilmarnock the tail end of last year.

Let’s not forget he also gave a penalty away and allowed Jullien two free headers that he got bailed out with Davis clearing off the line.

Not every ball has to be attacked it’s about positioning. As one of probably the best defenders in my life time Maldini said “if I have to make a tackle I have already made a mistake”

Katic has potential but he really needs to work on his positional sense and his passing before he is Helander’s level.

Back