Our Defending

jackstar

Does anyone think our Walter has had a hand in our defending. Our defending has come on leaps and bounds and almost as good as when Walter was in charge and I can't think of a time since he left when we defended as good. The way we're putting bodies on the line,our blocks. We just seem so solid.

Confident it's nothing to do with Walter Smith but you are right that we are solid at the back (and midfield). Would love to see this ratio of clean sheets continue through the season.

This team defends as a solid unit.

There are hardly any crosses or cutbacks coming in from the opposition, that is down to every player knowing what is required of them.

Walters teams defended well, but it was mostly down to a good defence and sitting midfielders.

We defend as a unit of 11 men when out of possession, with two rocks in helander and goldson to sort it out whenever anyone gets that close to our goal.

Saw a stat the other day our clean sheet percentage has increased year on year with this seasons close to 80%

All Gerrard and probably more importantly Beale for me.

No, I don't think he has. We're employing a different style of defence that is a function of the system we play.

Not for me. I don't doubt for a minute SG has had chats with Walter, but him and his coaching staff are their own men. Totally different styles too.
I get that and I think Walter would be the first to say that they are their own men and wouldn't want to claim any credit.

What your seeing with this team, is a group of Footballers that are being properly coached. And has been mentioned above, the longer they play together, the more they know their roles.

Reactions: fmp
Walter has too much class and respect to go interfering in another Manager and coaching staffs affairs.

General words of wisdom and advice about the club and Scottish football, fine. Anything more, no chance.

We defend as a unit. It has taken months of work and preparation. It takes constant research of opponents and pitches. It’s a hell of a lot of work and effort.

It isn’t just some miracle fix that Smith has and can pass on in an afternoon.

No I don't think so what we have is a team with much skill and importantly no "cowards" as we had in past.
All seem willing to put their bodies on the line for each other,IMO.

What your seeing with this team, is a group of Footballers that are being properly coached. And has been mentioned above, the longer they play together, the more they know their roles.
This but also: they all buy in to it, believe in it and know it works through experiences against good teams.

I think Walter is just a retired old man now who enjoys the occasional visit to Auchenhowie for lunch.

Gerrard won't be picking his brains and Smith would never dream of trying to advise him unless asked.
Still playing golf 3/4 times a week... Was playing with a mate of mines a couple of weeks ago

Just solid work in the tactics room and training ground. Constant repetition over a two year period. I’ve total confidence in the lads on the bench that they can slot in when required without any detrimental effect to our game. Basically a well drilled squad.

A hand? Definitely not. Some influence? Not directly but as others have said I'd guess they had chats about high concept stuff.

But he could influence the management team without saying a word - if the manager wants to learn from what the last successful Rangers team did in terms of maintaining consistency in the Scottish league then naturally he'd look to Walter and naturally he'd look at the defensive principles.

Was just reading that Kilmala had 12 touches the whole time he was on the park. His average position on the park was deeper than Ntcham. Celtic had 0% of shots from our left or right side. Nullified Frimpong and the specky lesbian vegan. Shows just how little we gave them.

Last edited:
Does anyone think our Walter has had a hand in our defending. Our defending has come on leaps and bounds and almost as good as when Walter was in charge and I can't think of a time since he left when we defended as good. The way we're putting bodies on the line,our blocks. We just seem so solid.
. Yeah, Gerrard and Beale called a septuagenarian former manager in to coach our defence, Souness is working the midfield and McCoist is coaching the forwards.. Jesus wept..

Back