Our Euro opponents this weekend

Gutted we’re not going to be able to attend these games. Wee trip to Portugal would have been good.
Mate- benfica strangley enough for me is that I have always wanted, no idea why - think it was Eusebio's comments preferingthe Gers to that mob, cause of wee wullie Henderson. Gutted isn't the word

Mate- benfica strangley enough for me is that I have always wanted, no idea why - think it was Eusebio's comments preferingthe Gers to that mob, cause of wee wullie Henderson. Gutted isn't the word
Crazy that in all those years of European football we have each been involved in this will be the first time our paths have met in a competitive fixture.

They were always the one standout grandee of European football we hadn't yet played. Obviously Liverpool, Arsenal are two others I guess as well you could add to that category

It’s probably not a popular opinion but I’m not to fussed on Europe.

My ideal scenario would be to see out the games and perform well but qualification isn’t essential.

The league is my focus and Celtic have fixture challenges, 1 game in hand, 2 weekends away to last seasons Scottish cup assuming they win.

Would actually like them to qualify in EL and us not just to rack more pressure I up then domestically.

Gerrard has to tell them that points on the bored are more important and creates more pressure on them. I want them in a position where they are on the bus to games knowing they have to win.
Totally disagree. We NEED to reach the CL group stages as soon as possible to grow as a club. For me winning 55 is not about them - it's about us getting back to where we should be.

We still have 2 years of zilch and 1 year of Pedro's Progres disaster on our coefficient record to improve on.

Even if we don't win the league this year we will be in the CL qualifiers next season. Doing well in Europa this year and having our coefficient in the high 20s or so will give us the best chance of getting to the group stage.

I think we should be looking to take 4 points off of lech and standard liege, then a point against benfica would likely see us through.
If we can get a win midweek we will be very well placed. I'd expect at least 9 points from the group if we do that which would be enough to take us through.

I was really nervous about this one on Saturday. I knew we had a big game coming up, against a big team in Standard Liege there was a matter of smaller game. A "Glasgow Derby"! Ultimately however as it happened we put them to sword.

Apparently Benfica are nearly £400m in debt, how can they go and spend around £85m on new players,surely they must fall under the FFP rules ?

Weirdly, between 06 & 08, we were in the champions league knockouts, then uefa Cup last 16, then obviously Manchester. That's the best progress in Europe in my 20 odd years watching Rangers. Strangely, we were honking in the league 2 our of 3 years but it was a good period for us in Europe.
I’d read a story from summer saying Standard managed to get loans from ex-players to see them through covid , Fellaini was one of them .
Very good of ex-players doing that so a positive story but also suggests a tight budgetary situation for them . Hope they prosper , just not in these groups right now .

Standard Liege have a good recent European record at home. 1 loss in 16, that against Ajax the year they reached the EL final. Beat Sevilla and drew with Arsenal. But works both ways, our team's record must look impressive to others!

I’d read a story from summer saying Standard managed to get loans from ex-players to see them through covid , Fellaini was one of them .
Very good of ex-players doing that so a positive story but also suggests a tight budgetary situation for them . Hope they prosper , just not in these groups right now .
The only time I ever watched Liege play I'm sure Fellaini played for them at the time as a youngster. Against Liverpool I'm sure it was. In all honesty though, I'm not worried about Europe at all. I reckon we'll get out of the groups and anything after that is a bonus. I just hope it doesn't interfere with our domestic season.

I wonder if Gerrard will use Europe to give Aribo, Roofe and Itten a run and keep some of the core lads of late fresh for SPL which is now the priority above all others

Thanks for the update mate. I always like to know what’s happening with our Euro opponents after a draw is made.
It will be interesting to see how serious Benfica treat the group stage with their line ups. I always think a big team like them are wanting champions league and made rest players for the league games rather than the group stages of EL

Back