Our Europa league run.

Fergie90

We had a fantastic run this year and played some good good teams along the way.

Question is what opposition players impressed you the most ? Or even who were you expecting more from ?

Personally I thought berguis of feyenoord looked a player even though i think we kept him relatively quiet.

Obviously Haivertz was quality as you would expect for Leverkusen and I liked the little Brazilian Evander from the Danish mob.

Anymore ?

Oh and i thought the whole young boys team were rotten and they took more points off us than anyone, strange one.

Question is what opposition players impressed you the most ? Or even who were you expecting more from ?

Personally I thought berguis of feyenoord looked a player even though i think we kept him relatively quiet.

Obviously Haivertz was quality as you would expect for Leverkusen and I liked the little Brazilian Evander from the Danish mob.

Anymore ?

Oh and o thought the whole young boys team were rotten and they took more points off us than anyone, strange one.

The striker for midjitland Sory Kaba looked a handful against us. No idea if he has done anything since mind.

I remember being behind the goal in Bern and cursing their keeper for a few terrific saves.

Anymore ?

Oh and o thought the whole young boys team were rotten and they took more points off us than anyone, strange one.

The Porto team was a bit of a let down really, none of them looked particularly dangerous. Guys like Alex Teles I expected a lot more from.

Good shout actually mate. Hard to tell with Braga they played brilliant for 45 minutes then we schooled them scoring 4 without reply but obviously a talented team

I remember Morelos missed a good chance, but I put it down to the fact the keeper was out quickly and bravely. Thought at the time he looks a good player then seen that Juve were in for him.

They had some very good individuals but I get the impression their surroundings don't help them. They play infront of empty stadiums with no atmosphere so I don't think the players will be as up for it as they should be. A bit like Monaco in a way. All very good technically but we stifled them over there and could have scored 2 or 3.

The Porto team was a bit of a let down really, none of them looked particularly dangerous. Guys like Alex Teles I expected a lot more from.
Spot on mate they wernt anything special at all and I remember us knocking it about for fun at points in portugal and beat them at Ibrox with a bit to spare in the end.

Would say that was more to do with us though. I don't think it's a coincidence we have played against great technical players but we have out fought them.

I remember Morelos missed a good chance, but I put it down to the fact the keeper was out quickly and bravely. Thought at the time he looks a good player then seen that Juve were in for him.

They had some very good individuals but I get the impression their surroundings don't help them. They play infront of empty stadiums with no atmosphere so I don't think the players will be as up for it as they should be. A bit like Monaco in a way. All very good technically but we stifled them over there and could have scored 2 or 3.
My big thing going into the braga game was all the hype about Amorim as manager and they were smashing teams but you simply cant do that in europe and hoped he would be naive to that and he certainly was.

Anymore ?

Oh and i thought the whole young boys team were rotten and they took more points off us than anyone, strange one.

That Fransergio had some dig on him.

Looked a very handy no nonsense type player that could play.

Would say that was more to do with us though. I don't think it's a coincidence we have played against great technical players but we have out fought them.
Possibly mate but Leverkusen absolutely bossed us by playing really basic, but really technical football.

If we'd played Leverkusen at the same time as we played Porto i.e. before the slump, who knows?

My big thing going into the braga game was all the hype about Amorim as manager and they were smashing teams but you simply cant do that in europe and hoped he would be naive to that and he certainly was.

I think what separated us from a lot of 'un fancied' teams was that we had a genuinely decent attacking three. We weren't getting the ball and booting it to %^*& from the first minute, we had a plan and knew we could punish teams which we did.

Possibly mate but Leverkusen absolutely bossed us by playing really basic, but really technical football.

If we'd played Leverkusen at the same time as we played Porto i.e. before the slump, who knows?

I think Leverkusen were just a better side than Porto. Know doubt Porto are a better group of players individually than us, but I thought Leverkusen were also a physically strong side. They had a great balance between technically brilliant attacking players and a great work ethic. I watched them tonight v Gladbach and last week against Wolfsburg and honestly it's like they are playing with 13 men. They are absolutely everywhere.

I think Leverkusen were just a better side than Porto. Know doubt Porto are a better group of players individually than us, but I thought Leverkusen were also a physically strong side. They had a great balance between technically brilliant attacking players and a great work ethic. I watched them tonight v Gladbach and last week against Wolfsburg and honestly it's like they are playing with 13 men. They are absolutely everywhere.
Leverkusen looked like they could go up another level at any point if they so desired.

They were so laid back and still cruised the game.

Leverkusen pumped porto the round before us mate 5-2 on aggregate.

Leverkusen looked like they could go up another level at any point if they so desired.

They were so laid back and still cruised the game.

Exactly mate. If we play them as a first game back, while they are so many games back in to their Bundesliga it could genuinely be a 5-0 or something. While I don't think we would have turned it round anyway, we are totally disadvantaged now.

Also, it's games like this when you realise people are still stuck in the 90's and 00's. We had pretty much no right to expect us to boss games at this level, yet any result that went against us you seen people losing their shit.

Leverkusen pumped porto the round before us mate 5-2 on aggregate.

Tell me about it I had a ticket for the game in Porto, ended up out in the morning after our game and was so wrecked I fell asleep and woke up half way through the game.

Player that impressed me the most was probably the Braga striker Abel Ruiz, wouldn't be shocked to see Barca buy him back. Might be talking shite, but I thought Legia were a rock solid team and well drilled but they had a centre mid who was an absolute nightmare

Player that impressed me the most was probably the Braga striker Abel Ruiz, wouldn't be shocked to see Barca buy him back. Might be talking shite, but I thought Legia were a rock solid team and well drilled but they had a centre mid who was an absolute nightmare
Wee baldy guy ?

They were better than young boys imo

Reactions: LD5

Anymore ?

Berguis would be outstanding for us and sort out our problems at r.m straight away.
Out of our price ranger unfortunately I think.

Anymore ?

Young boys are more a CFC/CBC thing.

We’d still get humped mate.

leverkusen are a quality outfit, spent 85 milllion euro in the summer.

Trincao, he was very good. On the other hand the centre half Silva was dog shit.
Agree but the extremely high line they persevered with was very strange. Maybe the coach made him look worse than he actually is ? We will never know I suppose.

Havertz immediately springs to mind. Almost every touch was one-touch, and he never wasted a pass. He is going to be a genuine superstar. Tah, Bailey, Bender... basically everyone in their team had a good game. Their goalie also made a great stop from Morelos.

As others have said above, the goalie from Braga, and the winger who is going to Barca, Trincao, but only on the rare occasion he managed to get one-on-one with Borna.

the best european player I have seen v rangers this season was the winger from athletico madrid at firhill. ye not europa but uefa youth league.

Havertz immediately springs to mind. Almost every touch was one-touch, and he never wasted a pass. He is going to be a genuine superstar. Tah, Bailey, Bender... basically everyone in their team had a good game. Their goalie also made a great stop from Morelos.

As others have said above, the goalie from Braga, and the winger who is going to Barca, Trincao, but only on the rare occasion he managed to get one-on-one with Borna.
Haivertz reportedly targets for man utd and chelsea but I'd be amazed if Bayern dont take him.

Braga were better than Leverkusen were at Ibrox

Braga were better than Leverkusen were at Ibrox
True but that was Leverkusen in first gear, they could have absolutely scudded us if they tried. Braga gave it their all and pumped us for 60 mins yet still gave away multiple chances.

Havertz the obvious one probably, but as soon as I seen Leon Bailey come on I knew he was getting a goal. Another special player.

Leverkusen were the last fucking name I wanted out that draw. Was confident with anyone else because of the bigger names means you get a real underdog mentality. Leverkusen were top 3 favourites to win the cup but not a sexy name, so takes the shine off.

Berghuis is the type of signing we used to make, rightly or wrongly. His age is probably as much a factor as money these days.
Would love to see him wear no.7 with Hagi no.10 next season. We can still dream.

Back