Our European Co-efficient

BillyA

Without doubt one of the biggest ramifications of the last six years has been the decimation of our European co-efficient. As a club we have 0.25pts and so take the higher country value of 3.75 at the moment. If we don't make EL group stages the most we will accrue is 2.5pts ( andthats if we reach the playoff round) and so next year if we fail to do that we will again start with the higher country number. This has made it very very difficult for us / nigh on impossible to make any progress as we are unseeded and guaranteed tough ties. Accumulating points is a slow process but it is imperative we do soon if we want to start bringing in to the club the riches that are on offer.

This season the lowest coefficient to be seeded in the third qualifying round is 10. So we are looking at at least 2 years of qualifying for the group stage before we even get up to that level.

This season the lowest coefficient to be seeded in the third qualifying round is 10. So we are looking at at least 2 years of qualifying for the group stage before we even get up to that level.
You get 3pts for reaching group stages plus 2 pts for evry win and 1 for a draw so we could amass more than ten if we got there and won a few. A very big ask though

Like it or not, we need each Scottish club pulling their weight in getting the co-efficient up and not getting dumped out in the very early rounds.

I think I read somewhere that only 3 clubs have ever started in the first round of qualifying and made the group stages - I can't say for certain if that's correct though.

Osijek last season beat PSV 1-0 home and away in the third round and still didn't get there, as they lost to Austria Wien in the playoffs.

We're going to need a lot of luck and some excellent performances to drag ourselves out of this situation, and it'll probably take a while. And sadly, we'll need it from other teams up here as well.

Without doubt one of the biggest ramifications of the last six years has been the decimation of our European co-efficient. As a club we have 0.25pts and so take the higher country value of 3.75 at the moment. If we don't make EL group stages the most we will accrue is 2.5pts ( andthats if we reach the playoff round) and so next year if we fail to do that we will again start with the higher country number. This has made it very very difficult for us / nigh on impossible to make any progress as we are unseeded and guaranteed tough ties. Accumulating points is a slow process but it is imperative we do soon if we want to start bringing in to the club the riches that are on offer.

It's a fair point. It's going to hamper us for years to come yet.

We just have to make sure we're good enough to win games and hope for a bit of luck to help along the way.

Like it or not, we need each Scottish club pulling their weight in getting the co-efficient up and not getting dumped out in the very early rounds.
Not any more, the way it is calculated has now been changed. The club coefficient no longer has the "country part". It is own results only unless that is lower than the "country part". Getting our coefficient up to somewhere good enough for seeding in the later rounds is down to us and us alone.

So feel free to delight in the failings of those who hate us. I certainly shall.

That's been the case for the past 20 years. Your St Johnstones, Aberdeens, Hibs and Motherwells are European cannon fodder.

Scottish clubs are performing as you'd expect when you consider the huge decline in standard over the last 5-10 years.

We need to take more seriously - last season was a holiday camp style farce.

Not any more, the way it is calculated has now been changed. The club coefficient no longer has the "country part". It is own results only unless that is lower than the "country part". Getting our coefficient up to somewhere good enough for seeding in the later rounds is down to us and us alone.

So feel free to delight in the failings of those who hate us. I certainly shall.

Had a wee look as never knew this had changed. Got this from UEFA:

The associations' club coefficients rankings are based on the results of each association's clubs in the five previous UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League seasons. The rankings determine the number of places allocated to an association (country) in forthcoming UEFA club competition.

Points system
1. Each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (points are halved for matches in the qualifying and play-off rounds).
2. Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League, or the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa League, are awarded an extra point for each round.
3. In addition, four points are awarded for participation in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League and four points for qualifying for the round of 16.

Coefficient calculation
The coefficient is calculated by working out an average score: dividing the number of points obtained, by the total number of clubs representing an association in that season’s two club competitions. The resulting figure is then tallied with the results of the previous four seasons to calculate the coefficient.
Where two associations have the same coefficient, the association with the higher coefficient in the most recent season is placed first.

These rankings will be updated after each round of UEFA club competition matches.

Is this out of date?

Had a wee look as never knew this had changed. Got this from UEFA:

The associations' club coefficients rankings are based on the results of each association's clubs in the five previous UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League seasons. The rankings determine the number of places allocated to an association (country) in forthcoming UEFA club competition.

Points system
1. Each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (points are halved for matches in the qualifying and play-off rounds).
2. Clubs that reach the round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Champions League, or the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the UEFA Europa League, are awarded an extra point for each round.
3. In addition, four points are awarded for participation in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League and four points for qualifying for the round of 16.

Coefficient calculation
The coefficient is calculated by working out an average score: dividing the number of points obtained, by the total number of clubs representing an association in that season’s two club competitions. The resulting figure is then tallied with the results of the previous four seasons to calculate the coefficient.
Where two associations have the same coefficient, the association with the higher coefficient in the most recent season is placed first.

These rankings will be updated after each round of UEFA club competition matches.

Is this out of date?
Not out of date but that refers to the country (associations) coefficient rather than the individual club coefficient. I will look for a link to the club part.

We are signing players of a standard who'd hold their own in the group stages of the Europa League.

The only problem is that some of the teams we can face to qualify for the Europa League are better than some of the teams who'll be in the group stages, so we do need a slice of luck just to make the group stages.

However, if we continue to sign well and prepare properly, we can make the group stages if the qualification draws are relatively kind to us.

A starting XI like this, for example, should be more than capable of qualification as long as we avoid the biggest hitters:

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katić John
Candeias Rossiter McCrorie Arfield
Windass Morelos

And that's only with the players we have now.
I still expect a couple of signings who'll really excite us.

Also worth noting that whilst we are unseeded, if we were to take out a seeded team we would carry on their co-efficient ranking so could well be seeded in a later round.
But really we are needing to get to the group stage this season and win a few games to get our own co-efficient on the rise.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

Details at the bottom below the table. The relevant bit is

Coefficient calculation
Clubs' coefficients are determined EITHER the sum of all points won in the previous five years OR the association coefficient over the same period, WHICHEVER IS THE HIGHER (under a new system introduced for 2018/19 onwards).
Said this in OP . We are currently using the countrys coefficient of 3.75 as our accumulative total for last 5 years is 0.25 (Last years early exit) . We can only better the country value this year by getting to groups and winning/drawing a few games.

I can't see Hibs falling in their first game, their second game might be tougher like ours is.
Aberdeen will be out.
Can't see any other team get to group stages realistically so if they get a couple decent results and progress as far as they can will ultimately boost the co-efficient for next season which may just be the difference from being seeded 1st round only or seeded for 2nd round also and maybe even 3rd.
But we obviously need to focus on our own results and own co-efficient as when 55 does arrive and we are in champions league, our current co-efficient ranking could make it virtually impossible to reach group stages.

That’s true, but the number of overall places for each country and what round each team enters at is dependent on the national coefficient.

To get seeded for the third round of the Europa League qualifiers we'll need over 10 points and around 20 to be seeded for the play offs.

Considering you only get 1.5 points for reaching the play offs, we'll need to reach the group stages and win a few games there a few times in the next 5 years.

To get seeded for the third round of the Europa League qualifiers we'll need over 10 points and around 20 to be seeded for the play offs.

Considering you only get 1.5 points for reaching the play offs, we'll need to reach the group stages and win a few games there a few times in the next 5 years.
Are you assuming we aren't qualifying for the champions league proper and only in europa over the next 5 years! don't need this negativity!

Are you assuming we aren't qualifying for the champions league proper and only in europa over the next 5 years! don't need this negativity!
You only get 4 points for reaching the Champions League proper. So you only get 1 extra point and it would be easier to get wins in the Europa League group stage.

Winning the league and starting in the CL qualifying path gives us a better chance of making the EL group stages though.

We're the sleeping giant here. Hopefully we're finally waking up this season after a few misfires and will get through to the group stages with a bit of luck from the draw (i.e. avoiding the likes of Sevilla). For me the mindset of the squad is huge; even in the latter qualification rounds, we should believe we're better than the likes of Maribor. I think Stevie is instilling that in the players and it will be our biggest strength this season.

Optimistic loyal.

We would be unseeded for all of our Champions League qualifiers so it will be a tough ask to make the group stages. Building up our coefficient will be very important.

Last seasons elimination against Progress was an absolute embarrassment. Goes to show how much of a dud Caixinha really was when we are getting beat off teams like that. As bad as we were last season, we had a team that should have went through that round.

Getting to the group stages will be difficult this season and I would be amazed if we got that far but that wouldn't be a fault of SG and the coaching staff. We have to get our co-efficient up and and can only do that by winning games. We must get past the 1st qualifier and no excuses... The second qualifier will be more difficult but could we really have asked for a better draw? No we couldn't in my opinion. Getting to the 3rd qualifier and getting knocked out off a much better opposition is still a move in the right direction.

We are signing players of a standard who'd hold their own in the group stages of the Europa League.

The only problem is that some of the teams we can face to qualify for the Europa League are better than some of the teams who'll be in the group stages, so we do need a slice of luck just to make the group stages.

However, if we continue to sign well and prepare properly, we can make the group stages if the qualification draws are relatively kind to us.

A starting XI like this, for example, should be more than capable of qualification as long as we avoid the biggest hitters:

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katić John
Candeias Rossiter McCrorie Arfield
Windass Morelos

And that's only with the players we have now.
I still expect a couple of signings who'll really excite us.

I agree with all that. We need to be tactically astute though.

We had better teams that that listed above horsed out of Europe through naivety.

Last seasons elimination against Progress was an absolute embarrassment. Goes to show how much of a dud Caixinha really was when we are getting beat off teams like that. As bad as we were last season, we had a team that should have went through that round.

Getting to the group stages will be difficult this season and I would be amazed if we got that far but that wouldn't be a fault of SG and the coaching staff. We have to get our co-efficient up and and can only do that by winning games. We must get past the 1st qualifier and no excuses... The second qualifier will be most difficult but could we really have asked for a better draw? No we couldn't in my opinion. Getting to the 3rd qualifier and getting knocked out off a much better opposition is still a move in the right direction.

I think the players are due a round of criticism for that.

Manager's make a real difference at elite level when tweaks here or there can be invaluable.

Losing to inferior players such as that should really have fingers point at our 11 who simply didn't do their job no matter how poorly the manager "prepared" them.

I don't believe for a second a player loses his ability on the pitch to defend a cross ball because the manager wasn't the 2nd coming of Mourinho.

Back