Our fitness

It is clear from tonight and almost every game we've played this season that the fitness of our squad is well below standard.

Understand tonight there was a lot of running but we look so slow, passing laboured and simply not looking like a hungry team. We are not over powering teams in Scotland, lots of huff and puff but we are miles off where we should be at this time of season.
biggest load of bullshit i've read in weeks

It is clear from tonight and almost every game we've played this season that the fitness of our squad is well below standard.

Understand tonight there was a lot of running but we look so slow, passing laboured and simply not looking like a hungry team. We are not over powering teams in Scotland, lots of huff and puff but we are miles off where we should be at this time of season.
Is it just this season fitness is an issue?

An elite footballer often has sharper speed of thought when decision making, knowing where to be and when, and moving before their opponent. Ray Wilkins wasn’t the fastest or fittest player in the world mobility wise but in the football brain stakes he was up there with the best and made younger, fitter guys look slow and dumb.

Dont need to get fitter, just need to get quicker. Much quicker. For all the skill and vision our midfield have we take an age to get the ball into dangerous areas from which we can shoot/create chance.

They possibly need to look at the mid make-up and figure out a way of moving the ball faster. That plus telling everyone else to stop messing around and get the ball in the box ASAP.

An elite footballer often has sharper speed of thought when decision making, knowing where to be and when, and moving before their opponent. Ray Wilkins wasn’t the fastest or fittest player in the world mobility wise but in the football brain stakes he was up there with the best and made younger, fitter guys look slow and dumb.
Yep, agreed, let me add Davie Cooper, Super and Boydie to the list, none of them blessed with pace but miles ahead of your average Footballer when it came to knowing where to be and when.

Match sharpness possibly or just off form??

The team has changed regularly due to covid and injuries plus we lack pace and physicality in some areas when up against teams of a certain level in Europe.

Our team do look a bit sluggish and not on top form but we know this

I think it was more of our first touch tonight, rather than fitness that was the problem.
Part of the issue for me is that we always seem to want to take a first touch rather than looking to pass it first time, which was what made some of our European play so exhilarating to watch last year.

Part of the issue for me is that we always seem to want to take a first touch rather than looking to pass it first time, which was what made some of our European play so exhilarating to watch last year.
Exactly. We're taking far too many touches, especially in the midfield.It was giving Lyon the chance to close us down instantly.
We're guilty of taking too many touches domestically too,and also a lack of urgency.
The frustrating thing is that we know we're capable of playing better and much more on the front foot.

you do realise that if you press a team of that quality high, they will destroy you, dont you?

They weren’t playing a high press against Lyon as it would have left them susceptible to balls in behind the full backs. I thought they played alright without hitting the heights. Hopefully pick up as season goes on. We are a very fickle support at times

Back