Our Fitness?

Wee looked fucked tonight. Could have had the game dead and buried at half time. Luckily we got the 3 points and on to the next game now.

Great win but just me or were we dead on our feet from about 70 minutes?

Everyone seemed to be a lot more fatigued than normal.
Thought the same. Plenty players stopped chasing as much when the opportunity was there to close down. Everyone dead on their feet at the end

Almost impossible to keep the intensity that we showed in the first half and the first 20 of the second, anyone who has kicked a ball at a decent level would understand.

Really showed in Ryan Jack when he was trying to run onto the pass and have his shot. Looked like a long distance runner 'tying up' at the end of a race.

We played with an incredible intensity though, so hardly surprising.

Will defo be changes on Sunday, we did burn out a bit but no wonder, the intensity of the first 60/70 was outstanding .

We could never maintain that tempo for 90 minutes. We wouldn't have needed to either if we'd buried them in the first 45. Not a complaint, but what happened.

Absolutely nothing surprising happened tonight. The speed we played it for 70 mins would tire any team.

Not just you. We looked knackered. Seemed to be hanging in there. Put it down to a full on first half, in which we tore them a knee hole

The only player that looked shattered was Arfield IMO.

We stopped playing and allowed them far too much possession in the last 20/25. Sitting off teams is not our strength, I don’t think we should be doing it too often.

Not surprised. The intensity of our press was insane in the first half.

We should have killed the game by HT.

Our fitness is immense, not sure what issue us

To play how we did for first hour then manage to see that game out was impressive

Tiredness kicked in but they are not super human

The only player that looked shattered was Arfield IMO.

We stopped playing and allowed them far too much possession in the last 20/25. Sitting off teams is not our strength, I don’t think we should be doing it too often.
I don’t think it was a choice of sitting of them on purpose, fatigue kicked in especially with Ojo and when you aren’t pressing as a unit you might as well not press at all, excellent for 70 minutes however.

Really showed in Ryan Jack when he was trying to run onto the pass and have his shot. Looked like a long distance runner 'tying up' at the end of a race.

We played with an incredible intensity though, so hardly surprising.
Nah you’re right we did play high intensity and it was brilliant to see.

Just felt some players were dead on there feet which was unusual especially in comparison to last season.

To be fair that’s our 9th Europa game already in such a short space of time players will be tired.

We need to see far more from the squad players in the coming weeks.

They were fitter than us, that I'm sure. Maybe we put so much into it early from the go it had an effect in the latter stages?

We emptied the tank for 90 minutes pressing. They had to do less running as they were just passing it about. It's that simple. Delete thread.

Our midfield completely ruled the game for first 45 minutes. I'm not sure is it possible to play with that intensity for much longer than an hour. Our midfield dropped off and Feyenoord got into control, simple as that. Should've been more than one up after first half though. That's what worries me in here.

Our fitness was/is fine. The adrenalin, the fans and the mental side of it kept us going.
Maybe Gerrard could have made the subs a bit earlier.

Steve Davis was still snapping at heels in the 90th minute. Fittest guy on the park. The turnaround in his fitness since January is incredible.
He got a second wind. Looked done around the 75th minute but used his experience to get through.

Our ball retention wasn’t as good in the 2nd half so we were chasing the ball more.

A less fit team could easily have switched off and let them in more. Fitness wasn’t a bother to me.

Don't think you're appreciating how much energy it takes to maintain the pressure we did for the first hour.

I'm not surprised Morelos in knackered. We can't keep pumping half-arsed balls up to him and expecting him to keep turning and muscling defenders twice his size. The wee man is awesome at times.

If they had scored in the last 10 minutes everyone would be crying about fitness..hes absolutely correct!
I expected the posts saying I was being negative, it was more an obvious observation.

If we drew that game there would be more comments I’m just glad we won and it wasn’t an issue. We hopefully have the squad to deal with it too.

You would have thought that if we can see it you’d expect the Gaffer or his team to spot it and start making changes sooner than they are

That’s why you don’t just surrender possession when you’re in the lead. We needed to be a big braver and calmer on the ball in the second half to give ourselves a breather, first half was some pace and we spent the second chasing them around and getting deeper as we grew more fatigued.

Great result, but that was a game or two halves.

I expected the posts saying I was being negative, it was more an obvious observation.

If we drew that game there would be more comments I’m just glad we won and it wasn’t an issue. We hopefully have the squad to deal with it too.
Im a realist unlike 99% on here..delighted we got over the line in the end!

Back