Our Full-Backs

Alex Venters

Tav and Borna were pivotal to our success last season, they were magnificent.
This season has seen a marked deterioration in what they bring to the side. Our captain can still come up with moments like the one in Perth, but his overall contribution to the side has dipped, alarmingly in my view.

On the other side, it is, if anything, worse. Barasic got my vote for POTY last season, he oozed quality in everything he did this time around he is a pale shadow of that player.

Now, it could simply be a question of form. Every player's form fluctuates, although, at least in an attacking sense Tav has been incredibly consistent in his time at the club. I think though, the problem is deeper than just a dip in form.

Our preferred system of play is heavily, probably too heavily, reliant on getting our full-backs into the last third and providing a real threat, be it in delivering quality into the box or, in Tav's case having a go themselves. To date I don't see the required energy levels from either Tav or Borna. We're a dozen games in now and they've failed to deliver on any kind of a consistent basis.

I think the time has come for both Nathan Patterson and Calvin Bassey to assume these roles. Are they better than those in possession? Well Patterson, given the opportunity will certainly develop into a better RB than Tav, but to do that he needs to play. It's a sort of one step back to take two or three forward situation.
I'm not sure if Bassey will ever reach the level of quality we saw from Barasic last season but at present he represents a better bet for me.

This season has seen a marked deterioration in what they bring to the side. Our captain can still come up with moments like the one in Perth, but his overall contribution to the side has dipped, alarmingly in my view.

On the other side, it is, if anything, worse. Barasic got my vote for POTY last season, he oozed quality in everything he did this time around he is a pale shadow of that player.

Now, it could simply be a question of form. Every player's form fluctuates, although, at least in an attacking sense Tav has been incredibly consistent in his time at the club. I think though, the problem is deeper than just a dip in form.

Our preferred system of play is heavily, probably too heavily, reliant on getting our full-backs into the last third and providing a real threat, be it in delivering quality into the box or, in Tav's case having a go themselves. To date I don't see the required energy levels from either Tav or Borna. We're a dozen games in now and they've failed to deliver on any kind of a consistent basis.

I think the time has come for both Nathan Patterson and Calvin Bassey to assume these roles. Are they better than those in possession? Well Patterson, given the opportunity will certainly develop into a better RB than Tav, but to do that he needs to play. It's a sort of one step back to take two or three forward situation.
I'm not sure if Bassey will ever reach the level of quality we saw from Barasic last season but at present he represents a better bet for me.
You have just given the most honest state of the way some of our top players are performing this season compared to the 55 season we are definitely not at the way we have played the game over the last three seasons just like after the Djibe trip they players are so very lack lustre just know exciting play.

The reality is that opposition have countered our tactics and it’s taken our full backs out the game. It’s time to change our formation or tactics or every game is going to be a struggle.

Reactions: SCG
You have just given the most honest state of the way some of our top players are performing this season compared to the 55 season we are definitely not at the way we have played the game over the last three seasons just like after the Djibe trip they players are so very lack lustre just know exciting play.
Djibe.

Nah.

The reality is that opposition have countered our tactics and it’s taken our full backs out the game. It’s time to change our formation or tactics or every game is going to be a struggle.
To be fair, I thought the first 45 yesterday was probably the best we've produced in terms of movement and creativity, but we had only one goal to show for it and a one goal advantage is never enough to feel safe.
I just feel we need an infusion of energy and in Patterson's case quality too.

At the moment tav and borna are superior players but I do prefer more rampaging full backs like Patterson and bassey. For example I prefer Cafu style to a more dani Alves style

No energy at all from Tav and Borna this season so far, I said the same yesterday.
Patterson and Bassey should be in to spark us into life.
We seem to play so slow when the opposition are flying into us with energy and aggression.
We had a good first half yesterday but should have been more than 1 goal ahead but the pace of our play dropped in the second half and it was noticeable in the wide areas.

The 11 other clubs managerial staff are simply setting up to counter our style that was so successful last season.. theres nothing wrong with that, setting up to defend our strongest threat on the park, perfectly normal and wise from opposition managers, we simply tweak our system a little etc etc etc happens all the time, I've read so much garbage over the last 12 hours regarding "we are done" or "over the hill" even better "Gerrard is at Anfield more than Glasgow" absolute nonsense, we are Champions defending our title, we are top on the pile and not even playing near to our capabilites, it will come. This season was never going to be easy, I dare say harder than last but one thing is for sure, Gerrard and his staff, all the players and everyone involved with the day to day running of Rangers Football Club want exactly what the fans want. Chill out for god sake.

Tav has yet to hit the heights of last season but imo is still contributing.The main issue is Borna he used to get by the fullback and put dangerous balls into the box,he hardly does that now.I don't know if he is not 100% fit or a confidence thing.With Kent still to hit form and the various covid and injury issues we are going through it's no surprise we are struggling at times.
Despite all this we are top of the league,into the Europa League and have beat the mhanks comfortably.Its time for a bit of perspective.

Really?

Tav has yet to hit the heights of last season but imo is still contributing.The main issue is Borna he used to get by the fullback and put dangerous balls into the box,he hardly does that now.I don't know if he is not 100% fit or a confidence thing.With Kent still to hit form and the various covid and injury issues we are going through it's no surprise we are struggling at times.
Despite all this we are top of the league,into the Europa League and have beat the mhanks comfortably.Its time for a bit of perspective.
Borna is playing within himself, back to the way he was pre-St Mirren free kick where he is scared to take a man on. Passes backwards or crosses from 40 yards out.

FML. I am sick to death of this obsession with getting Patterson playing.

Lets just look at this season for Tavernier since that seems to be the debate the OP is bringing up, he has played 9, scoring once and assisting 4.
Patterson in his entire Rangers career which is 18 appearances has scored 2 and assisted zero. Yet somehow he deserves to be playing ahead of someone vastly outperforming him.

Bizarre.

I take it you disagree?

I wouldn't have thought anyone would have Barisic as their POTY last season tbh. Not really sure what you're basing it on. He was actually better the season before last as well IMO.

Tav
Goldson
Davis
Kent
McGregor
Kamara

All easily ahead of him last season. You could even throw Morelos in there as well.

I would like to see us rotate the full backs more. The team is set up for them to play and if they aren't at it or struggling then the team suffers.

Adding in more energy, pace and / or directness there will impact the way the team plays and gives the opposition something different to think about.

I can see why we haven't done it though. Due to the sheer number of assists Borna and Tav have provided there is a rationale for sure to hold on and hope they did something out.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would have Barisic as their POTY last season tbh. Not really sure what you're basing it on. He was actually better the season before last as well IMO.

Tav
Goldson
Davis
Kent
McGregor
Kamara

All easily ahead of him last season. You could even throw Morelos in there as well.
Yeah agree on Borna. He didn't kick a ball for us from December onwards last season.

I actually thought he was holding back and trying to save himself for the European Championships.

Lets just look at this season for Tavernier since that seems to be the debate the OP is bringing up, he has played 9, scoring once and assisting 4.
Patterson in his entire Rangers career which is 18 appearances has scored 2 and assisted zero. Yet somehow he deserves to be playing ahead of someone vastly outperforming him.

Bizarre.

"his overall contribution to the side has dipped, alarmingly in my view" is an incredible line to come out with, so so weird.

Tav
Goldson
Davis
Kent
McGregor
Kamara

Maybe so, I just thought he was very good, very productive. A very classy player at his best, my kinda player

"his overall contribution to the side has dipped, alarmingly in my view" is an incredible line to come out with, so so weird.
You seem to have an obsession with weirdness if you don't mind me saying so.
You are perfectly entitled to disagree with my opinion.

It is a good debate about Tav, Borna, Patterson and Bassey. We should look to ourselves and not compare to others but how bad would you feel if Bolingoli was thrust upon you.

You seem to have an obsession with weirdness if you don't mind me saying so.
You are perfectly entitled to disagree with my opinion.

It's just the word that comes to mind when reading posts like yours in this thread.

"his overall contribution to the side has dipped, alarmingly in my view"

"Barasic got my vote for POTY last season"

I mean what the fck are you watching or even talking about.

Patterson isn't a better player than Tav at this time. It's getting tiresome now.

When Patterson got a start against Dunfermline in the cup he was bang average and Bassey put in a far better display than him on the left hand side. Bassey and Borna is a genuine debate at the moment but Tav isn't getting dropped and nor should he be.

Bizarre.
It's not bizarre at all.
Patterson has enormous potential and we need to develop that potential, that won't happen sitting on the bench and he's too good to go out on loan. He has had a taste of first team action at club and international level, he needs games now, he won't hang around long if he doesn't get them.
As for comparing stats with Tav, a bit pointless seeing as one's playing and one isn't.

Seems teams in the Premiership share my views on Patterson given the bids we received in the summer. Not sure how many bids we've had for our captain?

A bigger issue than that is we are conceding stupid, sloppy goals.

We’ve not made the opposition work for many goals this season.

Fck sake imagine trying to go down the road of "no teams bid for Tav he clearly isn't good" when teams have literally bid for him.

This thread man.

It’s more than 2 full backs. It’s the urgency at which we play at. If we up our urgency on the ball and off the ball we’ll be back to last season’s performances, one thing that has been really lacking is the movement from the front 3 this season Scott Wright aside. It forces us to play wide to the full backs and just pepper the box with crosses particularly from deep

Our full backs are still the best in the league, not playing on top form at the moment, but these things happen.
Patterson is becoming a bettter player the less he plays, just because he is good enough for Scotland doesnt mean he is an automatic pick for Rangers.

It's just the word that comes to mind when reading posts like yours in this thread.

"his overall contribution to the side has dipped, alarmingly in my view"

"Barasic got my vote for POTY last season"

I mean what the fck are you watching or even talking about.
It's an opinion.
I do believe Tav's contribution has dipped, feel free to disagree.
As for Borna last season, again an opinion. I love him as a player, maybe I'm slightly biased, so what? Again you have the freedom to disagree.

It's an opinion.
I do believe Tav's contribution has dipped, feel free to disagree.
As for Borna last season, again an opinion. I love him as a player, maybe I'm slightly biased, so what? Again you have the freedom to disagree.

That you openly admit you let bias skew your view suggests your view isn't credible which probably leads to such weird views as those in the OP.

Watching Borna try to get up that wing is painful to watch.

The man just can't run.

Last year physically he was a machine but he has completely fallen off a cliff in that regard. It is impacting the balance of the team.

It is easy to say put forward the case for Bassey ti replace him as physically he has the tools for the job however his final ball, decision making and lack of experience work against him.

It's not bizarre at all.
Patterson has enormous potential and we need to develop that potential, that won't happen sitting on the bench and he's too good to go out on loan. He has had a taste of first team action at club and international level, he needs games now, he won't hang around long if he doesn't get them.
As for comparing stats with Tav, a bit pointless seeing as one's playing and one isn't.

Seems teams in the Premiership share my views on Patterson given the bids we received in the summer. Not sure how many bids we've had for our captain?
So, just because he has potential he should play ahead of one of our (if not the actual) most productive player. Based on the fact that bids are apparently coming in and he won't wait about?
Potentially weakening the side now for the sake of a player who will maybe go on to be as good in years to come?
As for stats, its not pointless. Its a comparison with Tav in what most would consider a struggling Rangers side this season vs Patterson in a flourishing one last season, if anything its more weighted in Patterson's favour, Yet Tavernier is still miles ahead. 9 games for tav, 18 for Patterson. yet he still has contributed significantly less, yet should somehow be playing?

So, just because he has potential he should play ahead of one of our (if not the actual) most productive player. Based on the fact that bids are apparently coming in and he won't wait about?
Potentially weakening the side now for the sake of a player who will maybe go on to be as good in years to come?
As for stats, its not pointless. Its a comparison with Tav in what most would consider a struggling Rangers side this season vs Patterson in a flourishing one last season, if anything its more weighted in Patterson's favour, Yet Tavernier is still miles ahead. 9 games for tav, 18 for Patterson. yet he still has contributed significantly less, yet should somehow be playing?
It's really rather simple.
Nathan Patterson will be a better full back than James Tavernier. In my opinion he'd currently offer more to the side.

If you want to deal in numbers, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here..say Tav is currently a 7/10 full back, that's as good as it gets.
Patterson is say, a 6/10 full back, but with any kind of normal progression given the potential he has he'll develop into a 9/10 player.

As I said, it isn't rocket science.

You are, it's a pattern on this thread. I made reference of bids and interest because there literally have been bids and interest, I wouldn't have made reference to them if there hadn't been fck sake.
It's a simple request for information.

You seem awfully reluctant to provide the information that you obviously possess.

It's a simple request for information.

You seem awfully reluctant to provide the information that you obviously possess.

It's not just my information - google, you seemed happy enough slashing about claims of bids for some players, but don't know about bids for others, poor Rangers knowledge IMO.

It's not just my information - google, you seemed happy enough slashing about claims of bids for some players, but don't know about bids for others, poor Rangers knowledge IMO.
We're going round in circles here, time to get off the merrygoround.

It's really rather simple.
Nathan Patterson will be a better full back than James Tavernier. In my opinion he'd currently offer more to the side.

If you want to deal in numbers, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here..say Tav is currently a 7/10 full back, that's as good as it gets.
Patterson is say, a 6/10 full back, but with any kind of normal progression given the potential he has he'll develop into a 9/10 player.

As I said, it isn't rocket science.
Based on 18 appearances you're sure he will be better than Tavernier?
Nathan is a promising young player, no doubt. But to suggest with such certainty that he will be far better than a man who many would say is the best RB we have had in modern times is a bit foolish.
Take JT out of the team, you notice his absence because simply our chances created from the right go to pot. Until NP is better than JT (Which he isn't) then he doesn't play ahead of him.
Gerrard is here to win games now, not in 2 or 3 years time, who gives him the better chance of that, undoubtedly JT so barring injury or horrific form he plays, people just need to get used to that.

Back