Our GK issue

Mcgregor also makes the defence nervous at cross balls. He simply doesn't come for them anywhere near often enough.

Mclaughlin does, plus he is better with the ball and gets us moving quicker.

It might be time to consider him for more games.

Shagger is a legend, but time waits for no man.

Is anyone saying that Shagger caused us to drop points today? Really?

Or caused us to lose games this season?

Right, so when the defense does their job ( last season ) McGregor is great, possibly even better than Goram...

When the defense doesn't do their job ( this season ) McGregor is a problem.....

Behave yourself. Our keystone cops defending in the past two games has caused 2/3 of the goals. Add in a wonder strike and there is no way we have a goalkeeper issue.

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes
Look at the 3 goalies our neighbours have across the city and tell us again we have a goalkeeper issue.
We don't have one, but they do.

Part of the problem is we want to play possession football building from the back. McGregor is an old school goalkeeper he is extremely poor with the ball at his feet.

We can’t pass it back to him and retain possession, did their goal from today not come straight after Davis passed it back to him and he put it out of play for a throw in.
Davis pass back was far too fast and McGregor was forced into a difficult clearance.

The only issue I have with the Keepers this season has been the rotating. Match sharpness is important and I think Greegsy would be better off playing every game.

Look at the 3 goalies our neighbours have across the city and tell us again we have a goalkeeper issue.
We don't have one, but they do.

We have 2 experienced GKs who have had a disrupted preseason, both slow to come off their line, 1 is 39 lost 9 goals from 14 shots and his distribution and kicking has been poor. The other hasnt been much better.

Now the main reason the majority if the goals have happened is because of the shaky defence in front of it but is still clear to me with the age of McGregor we should be looking at bring in through mccrorrie for a bit of game time either that or loan him out

Thought he was really poor against Motherwell, probably was a bit chicken and egg re who it came from first but he looked nervous m, wasn’t commanding much and his kicking was, really poor to the point it put us under pressure.

*can’t say that
* no ones safe on FF

I get all that, it’s not slandering a great mans name it’s general chat about his performance yesterday, fair play if people thought different

re his general season, he looks a bit slower in most of his work for me, it didn’t look right against Malmö at Ibrox

McGregor would have saved every shot McLaughlin has saved. He probably would have saved St Johnstone’s goal. McLaughlin would not have saved any of the goals McGregor had let in.

It's pretty mental the amount of goals we are conceding per shot faced.

Surely that can't continue for the whole season so you have to hope we will eventually stop facing Hot Shot Hamish every week.

When you have a back 4 in front of you who have barely done the basics this season,then it’s inevitable we are going to leak goals.The goalkeeper is the least of our worries at present.

Last edited:
Three of malmo's goals were near enough down the middle of the goal were they not?
The first goal away he literally had no chance with it was rocketed from 8 yards out the 2nd went in off the post. The 2 goals at Ibrox were brilliant finishes one literally right in the corner of the net.

He stopped a certain goal yesterday with Tony Watt and there was literally nothing he could do about the goal. I don't think Mcgregor is fully fit but he's the least of our problems at the moment.

McGregor would have saved every shot McLaughlin has saved. He probably would have saved St Johnstone’s goal. McLaughlin would not have saved any of the goals McGregor had let in.

McLaughlin had double figures for clean sheets last season. I think people forget that McGregor's had a few howlers as well. ie. the Slavia Prague free kick where he basically stood on his goal post and gave the guy an empty net from 30 yards.

Our defence (and by that I mean all outfield players) allowing opportunities to the opponents, unlike last season, is the issue. Not the goalkeepers.

The backpass yesterday that went out for a corner was a shambles.

I dont think AMcG has looked bad this season, but certainly doesn’t look like the goalie that won us points on his own and dug us out numerous holes last season.

Our goalkeeping issue?
1st choice - great keeper.
2nd choice - very good back up.
3rd choice - good potential.
Wish we had issues like that throughout the team, tbh.

The chances against McGregor this year have frequently favoured the attacker. It's not like he is concedeing worldies from outside the box, Lyon aside.

The defence have been playing their part in goals conceeded, the 4, yes 4 v malmo a good pointer. Ok greegs is last man but the problem was defending not goalkeeping.

The arabs goal a deflection from Davis into the path of the scorer.

Thats 5 out of 9.

The defence have been playing their part in goals conceeded, the 4, yes 4 v malmo a good pointer. Ok greegs is last man but the problem was defending not goalkeeping.

The arabs goal a deflection from Davis into the path of the scorer.

Thats 5 out of 9.

The Malmo goal at Ibrox where our centre back (can't remember if it was Goldson or Balogun) got rolled from a throw in still annoys me. Schoolboy stuff that.

Sometimes I think it’s impossible to be more amazed at the level of madness that our supporters can achieve when analysing the issues with our team. Then I am proven wrong.

Reactions: GF7
Sometimes I think it’s impossible to be more amazed at the level of madness that our supporters can achieve when analysing the issues with our team. Then I am proven wrong.

Do you think McGregor looks confident and assured in goals this season?

I dont think we have a GK issue but I do think we need to stop relying on McGregor and for me this should be his last season as No1. Next Season I would be looking to start with McCrorie

Mcgregor also makes the defence nervous at cross balls. He simply doesn't come for them anywhere near often enough.

Mclaughlin does, plus he is better with the ball and gets us moving quicker.

It might be time to consider him for more games.

Shagger is a legend, but time waits for no man.
Nonsense.

As long as the defence know what the keeper is doing when a cross comes in there is no issue. It's great to see a keeper come 12 yards and claim cross after cross but that's a rarity in modern football.

As long as your keeper is consistent in what he is going to do then the defence should be able to cope and set itself accordingly.

For what it's worth, we have not had a keeper who fully commanded a penalty area since Chris Woods.

Nonsense.

As long as the defence know what the keeper is doing when a cross comes in there is no issue. It's great to see a keeper come 12 yards and claim cross after cross but that's a rarity in modern football.

As long as your keeper is consistent in what he is going to do then the defence should be able to cope and set itself accordingly.

For what it's worth, we have not had a keeper who fully commanded a penalty area since Chris Woods.

No one is asking him to come 12 yards...6 would be great!

The point stands. If a defence knows to take charge as the keeper is unlikely to come for a cross ball then there should not be an issue.

Ok, but a confident keeper can take all sorts of pressure of his defence at set pieces by coming out and commanding his box.

We don’t have a keeper issue this season but it’s another position where work will be needed in the summer unless we think McCrorie can step up

We are conceding at least 1 goal or at least a very clear chance per game through comical defending in front of the keeper. Dundee United, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Malmo. Defenders are making mistakes that the attacker should and often has put away.

You can't blame the goalkeeper for that

Our goalkeeping situation is the least of our worries at the moment. We have the two best keepers in the country and arguably Scotland's future number one as our third choice. Stats are great but you have to look at these type of things in context.

Ok, but a confident keeper can take all sorts of pressure of his defence at set pieces by coming out and commanding his box.
This is true, but the worst thing a keeper can do is be inconsistent.

It is far better for a defence if they know a keeper is not coming for most cross balls rather than having to second guess his actions.

A load of shite. Stop rotating him. Play him every week. Watch him make saves and organise his defence.
Anyone who doesn’t think McGregor is pivotal to winning another league this year is mental.

Just to add, McGregor is a legend and can be spoken about in the same way we do Woods, Goram and Klos
Yeah but

Woods, Goram and Klos are now retired and McGregor will join those legends sooner rather than later so best to now address that specific scenario !!:(

A load of shite. Stop rotating him. Play him every week. Watch him make saves and organise his defence.
Anyone who doesn’t think McGregor is pivotal to winning another league this year is mental.

Last year we played McLaughlin a fair bit and I think he only conceded something like 3 goals in 15 games.

I’m one for stats, but they numbers are meaningless without the context of the goals.

For what it’s worth, I do think McGregor has looked a bit shakier this season but he’s still the best keeper in the country - and JM the second best.

Hopefully Robby becomes our number 1 within the next 2/3 years.
Stats do not show:
  • Lundstram failing to track the D UTD guy, allowing him a free run into the box and to get a shot away
  • Individual errors vs Malmo away
  • Balogun getting to close to Malmo players (at home) allowing them to turn and fire in goals, in a game we should have been cruising
  • Tav making a mistake, Goldson getting sucked in, a 30yd gap between CBs, a powderpuff attempt to win a ball, and ball watching from Borna (vs Motherwell)
Let's look at the root causes of all of the above: sheer complacency and failing to do your job defensively. I'd be pointing fingers at ALL of the above before McGregor. This squad aint at the races, defensively, this yr. THAT's the truth.

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes
Silly, silly stat.
Surely you’d need to include how many he should have saved

Back