Our GK issue

No problem with McGregor. Maybe not as good as we would like at cross balls but all other saves are way better than any other in the league. What is in front of him or maybe more to the side costs us goals. Losing one goal is not a disaster against a team like Motherwell as we should be banging them in at the other end.

Last year we played McLaughlin a fair bit and I think he only conceded something like 3 goals in 15 games.

I like McLaughlin, he’s a good keeper but he’s not better than McGregor and for me McGregor should play every week regardless of the competition we’re in. Play the strongest side every time.

What goals were his fault or he should, not might’ve, stopped.

I haven't watched it back, but I thought his positioning looked awful for their 2nd goal at Ibrox from where I was sitting, and he looked really slow to get down. The ball went in nowhere near the corner. Plus that moment of madness where he could've got sent off wasn't too bright either.

I haven't watched it back, but I thought his positioning looked awful for their 2nd goal at Ibrox from where I was sitting, and he looked really slow to get down. The ball went in nowhere near the corner. Plus that moment of madness where he could've got sent off wasn't too bright either.

Watched it back, he showed far too much of the goal for the striker to aim for. The ball went in a good couple of yards inside the post, and his dive wasn't a dive. Reminded me of the type of "dives" Barkas was making last season where he'd just fall to the ground. Not having a go at him or claiming that he's even been part of the problem this season, but it's a really poor piece of goalkeeping by McGregor's standards imo.

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes
We've got 2 of probably the top 3 or 4 keepers in the league. What issue?

It's only natural that McGregor is declining, one of my stats geek mates has been warning of this for months. Says similar about Steven Davis as well. Lo and behold both have looked off the pace in recent matches. Obviously both could play themselves back into form, but he's of the opinion both are on a downward trajectory and need phased out. Base levels are apparently not too great but both over performed at times last season.

Puts us in a very weird position because the rotation thing between him and Mcglaughlin isn't really getting the desired results for me. I think Gerrard needs to pick one or the other and go with them for a bit. Which ever way he decides is going to be a bold choice either way. It's not the most pressing matter for me because if our forwards were doing their jobs, then the goal we conceded on Sunday would be nothing more than a consolation goal for our opponents. But if we are going to gut out wins with narrow margins then we need a steady influence in goal.

No problem with McGregor. Maybe not as good as we would like at cross balls but all other saves are way better than any other in the league. What is in front of him or maybe more to the side costs us goals. Losing one goal is not a disaster against a team like Motherwell as we should be banging them in at the other end.
We didn't just lose one goal, we lost a daft equaliser at Ibrox; the kind of goal we have gave away a few times this season. These goals against us have proved crucial.

McGregor has had 14 shots on target at his goal so far this season and has let in 9 of them

McLaughlin has had 3 shots on his goal and has conceded 2.

Our no 1 is a legend but the fact is he has let in 64% of the shots against him and has shown other ropey moments such as handling outside his box and poor distribution

Our 2nd choice although a bit younger has let in 66% of shots that have came at and also could have been sent off for mistiming a run and wiping out a st johnstone player

Mccrorrie has been involved in 3 games this season inc one preseason, 1 away from home in europe and the old firm. He impressed in each of them and kept a clean sheet

I think we need to consider giving the lad a chance. At least play him in the cup and see how he goes

Those stats are an irrelevance.

What distance were these shots from and from what angle.

As an example, no keeper on the planet would've saved Lyon's first goal and McGregor made an outstanding save in the build up for their 2nd goal, but had no chance with the actual goal.
On Sunday, both Simpson and Barasic were sleeping for the Motherwell goal and left McGregor helpless.

You really need to keep things in perspective mate and not just jump on the blame culture bandwagon.

So, a max of one out of the nine?
I’d suggest you’ve just negated your argument.
As for his “moments of madness”, these are nothing new.
He was caught against the sheep (Ferguson) and escaped against the scum (Ajer) in the last few years.

Watched it back, he showed far too much of the goal for the striker to aim for. The ball went in a good couple of yards inside the post, and his dive wasn't a dive. Reminded me of the type of "dives" Barkas was making last season where he'd just fall to the ground. Not having a go at him or claiming that he's even been part of the problem this season, but it's a really poor piece of goalkeeping by McGregor's standards imo.

See I actually think he could've saved the 1st goal even though it's pretty much right in the corner. He got close to it.

I don't blame him much for the 2nd goal as he got hung out to dry from amateur (being generous calling it amateur) defending. He trusts Balogun to block the near post and tries to anticipate Colak going for the far corner but he didn't. Looking at the screenshot I would say he's going to go far corner too.

Screenshot-20210921-094631-You-Tube.jpg

If he stands more to his right and Colak does go for the far corner then he would get blamed for that too. Can't win when the striker has pretty much the whole goal to aim for.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say we have a goalkeeper issue as such, more that you can see a decline in McGregor’s play. The reason why I don’t think it’s an issue is that I think next season mccrorie comes in and will cement the no 1 position. This season I still believe enough in McGregor and McLaughlin to win the league.

For me McCrorie should have kept his place after 2 good games. Dropping him and Bassey for senior players miles of there best form has been poor.

Billy Gilmour will be looking at the lack of game time our youth players get and be reassured he made the right decision to leave us when he did.

To be fair to the original poster McGregor has been nowhere near his form of last year. Is this down to him stop start season or more likely Father Time catching up with him?

He hasn’t made a massive save of note all season and he definitely looks less sure of himself when he’s played. Hopefully just needs a run of game.

McGregor is definitely on the slide quite a bit, he's still the best keeper in the league on his day, but not by near as much as he was last season. I wouldn't be against seeing Robby more in some cup games, he done himself a massive credit when he came in, much to the disgust of some naysayers and could still be our future keeper.

Billy Gilmour will be looking at the lack of game time our youth players get and be reassured he made the right decision to leave us when he did.

Difference here is that people were raving about Gilmour at the age of 15/16.

For every Gilmour there's 50 other youth players who leave Rangers and end up floating about the lower divisions of Scottish football.

I assumed you’d seen the game, sorry.
No, still haven’t!
Bottom line is that, for this argument, it doesn’t matter.
Even if you’re 100% right and McGregor caused us that goal, it wasn’t his first error and it won’t be his last and age probably has feck all to do with it.
How do you know McLaughlin wouldn’t have made a similar error, remember the first goal we lost last season, away to Hibs when Boyle’s shot went through him?
How do we know what McCrorie is or isn’t owing to do.

No, still haven’t!
Bottom line is that, for this argument, it doesn’t matter.
Even if you’re 100% right and McGregor caused us that goal, it wasn’t his first error and it won’t be his last and age probably has feck all to do with it.
How do you know McLaughlin wouldn’t have made a similar error, remember the first goal we lost last season, away to Hibs when Boyle’s shot went through him?
How do we know what McCrorie is or isn’t owing to do.
I agree with your thinking mate, if you go back early in the thread you’ll see my spiel about why it’s a pointless stat. And McGregor not doing so well with one solitary goal proves there’s no goalkeeping issue and it’s a problem that’s been dreamt up by reading numbers without any context or analysis of how those numbers came to be.

Sorry to go over old ground but that's us now us at over 70% of shots on mcgregors goal this season have gone in. I know I'm out of order for bringing this up but at what point do people start to wake up

Reactions: ao2
Sorry to go over old ground but that's us now us at over 70% of shots on mcgregors goal this season have gone in. I know I'm out of order for bringing this up but at what point do people start to wake up

You're not out of order mate. He's well off it this season and it should be McLaughlin in goal from now on, barring injury. He's been a magnificent goalie for us but I think McGregor should step aside now.

Nothings changed.

This should be McGregor's last season and he's still the best goalkeeper at the club, despite today.

You absolutely slaughter Tav on other threads yet can't see that McGregor hasn't had a good game all season. Says a lot really.

Not sure if it's a hatred of Tav for some or just the blinkers on for McGregor, but the truth is he's finished and should either retire or be told he's 3rd choice.

McCrorie had a better game against Celtic than McGregor's had all season.

Talented players get a bit more support from me.

I've no time for players who continue to constantly let us down - like Tav does.

McGregor hasn't been great this season but he's got enough credit in the bank to see out this season, his last season, as number one.

and yes, It's a hatred of Tav. I hate players who consistently cost us goals, games/points.
McGregor has cost us more goals than Tav this season

I've no time for players who continue to constantly let us down - like Tav does.

McGregor hasn't been great this season but he's got enough credit in the bank to see out this season, his last season, as number one.

and yes, It's a hatred of Tav. I hate players who consistently cost us goals, games/points.

Except McGregor who cost us points with a complete and utter blunder against Hearts?

I'm aware of the error.

He wasn't too hot at the Malmo winner at Ibrox either.

What do you want me to say?

Tav has still cost us more goals. I'll run through the games later when I've got time in work and point out all the games if that's the game we're playing?

Are you going to run through all the games we've won through his assists and goals?

Then you're contradicting yourself, because that's exactly what McGregor's been doing all season. He hasn't made a save.

Keeping McGregor in goal for sentimental reasons helps nobody.

A 39 old goalkeeper who has stopped making saves deserves to be dropped, stip living on past glories and accept he is done.

Guy was a great servant and arguably our best ever goalie but father time catches up and that's why John Greig isn't a centre half anymore

I'm aware of the error.

He wasn't too hot at the Malmo winner at Ibrox either.

What do you want me to say?

Tav has still cost us more goals. I'll run through the games later when I've got time in work and point out all the games if that's the game we're playing?

Ok while you're at it, can you give us a lot of games Tav has pitched in with a goal or assist to rescue points for us.

That's the difference here. Tav might cost the odd goal here or there and his defending might be suspect at times. But at the other end of the pitch he offers us more than any other player in the team (as the stats show).

McGregor is costing us goals and not making any saves this season. He's done.

I can fire the EXACT same logic back at you that you're digging me for.

Standing up for Tav despite the goals he continues to cost us, but slaughter McGregor?

We're either both hypocrites, or we're not.

As I said, for me McGregor has plenty credit in the bank. Tav has none.

Tav has none despite his record breaking season last year?

Tav might cost us a few goals over a season but he more than makes up for it with his contributions at the other end.

McGregor is costing us goals and not making any saves. That's the issue.

McGregor is done. Sad, but happens to every player. His feet are not fast enough to enable his best asset-shot stopping to work

I also like a keeper that dominates his 6 yard box. Greegs has never done this and the fact we have centre backs that cant win simple high balls makes the effect of this much worse

McLaughlin for the rest of the season

Back