• Jim Baxter

Votes: 167 84.8%
  • Jim Forrest

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • Any Other Jimmy

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

MO_TxTruBlu

Our Greatest ever Jimmy (James, Jim etc.), based purely on their PLAYING careers at Rangers

Fully expect Jim Baxter to win this hands down, so allowing 3 votes each person to see where the others rank.

Jimmy Gordon (1907-20) 388 Appearances.
Predominently a Right Half, though covered many different positions in his 13 year Rangers career. Captained Scotland to a famous 3-1 over England in 1914 in front of over 100,000 fans. Won 5 League Titles, 6 Glasgow Cups, 4 Charity Cups

James Bowie (1910-22) 351 Appearances.
A Wing Half who was a regular over 11 seasons, Collecting 6 Championship Titles.

Jimmy Fleming (1925-34) 278 Appearances, 231 GOALS.
One of our greatest ever Goalscorers, still holds a couple of records to this day, most Scottish Cup goals (44), and most goals in a single game (9). Won 7 League Titles in his 9 years at the Club

James 'Doc' Marshall (1926-34) 243 Appearances 137 Goals
Inbside Forward with a fantastic return of Goals. Collected 6 Championship Titles and 3 Scottish Cups

Jimmy Simpson (1927-40) 357 Appearances
A formidable Centre Half who collected 6 Championship Titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 6 Glasgow Cups all in the 1930's.
Selected for 14 consecutive games for Scotland between 1934-37, 3 against England, 2 wins 1 draw.

Jimmy Smith (1929-46) 390 Appearances, 365 GOALS.
Our greatest goalscorer ever. Won 9 League Titles (inc 4 Wartime). Played in two iconic Rangers sides, alongside McPhail, Meiklejohn, Archibald and Morton in the 30's, and Woodburn, Waddell and Young in the 40's.

Jimmy Duncanson (1940-50) 320 Appearances 149 Goals
An Inside Forward with an eye for goal who won 23 medals with Rangers throughout the war years, and that great post war Side in the late 1940's.

Jimmy Millar (1954-67) 330 Appearances 169 Goals
The old warhorse, and still a massive favourite with our older generation. A Wing Half who spent most of his career as our Centre Forward. In the 4 seasons after converting to a Centre Forward Millar scored 134 Goals in 183 Games.

Jim Baxter (1960-65) 236 Appearances
A short 5 year career, but will win this hands down, as the greatest Player, in our greatest team, in living memory.
10 Winners medals (3 League Titles, 3 Scottish Cups, and 4 League Cups) in that five year period.

Jim Forrest (1962-67) 166 Appearances 147 Goals
Less than 200 appearances. A phenomenal Goalscorer. A sensation who scored 55 Goals in 52 Games as a teenager. Scored 57 Goals in one season. Scored 145 goals in 152 games in a 40 month period, and we dumped him at 22 years of age!

Voted Jimmy Millar.
And take your hat off when you talk about the man.
Can just about remember Slim Jim before he left us but used to go to Ibrox in Millar's twilight years as a boy to watch the reserves every second Saturday.

James Bowie, the only player to be chairman of the club and Jimmy Gordon.

If he was great enough for Struth, he's good enough for the rest of us.

And I love the rest of them.

Jimmy Gordon for his reputation.
Jimmy Smith as you can't ignore our top goalscorer when you get 3 votes.
And Baxter just because.

Used my three votes Gordon, Smith and Baxter. Jimmy Smith is top of my list of past players I never saw play but wish I had, as you said our greatest goal scorer and a battering ram of a center forward.
Jimmy Gordon, cultured right half with 5 League winners medals 10 Scotland caps and 14 Scottish league caps in a career interrupted by the Great War. Jimmy Gordon served King and Country as a sergeant in the HLI.
Slim Jim, my late Dad’s all time Rangers hero, unfortunately I was too young to see him play with us but it must have been something to see him in his pomp, especially against the mob from the east end.

Cheating a bit, but the Prince of Goalkeepers was born James Dawson.
Jerry was just a nickname.

Magnificent Rangers servant.

Used my three votes Gordon, Smith and Baxter. Jimmy Smith is top of my list of past players I never saw play but wish I had, as you said our greatest goal scorer and a battering ram of a center forward.
Jimmy Gordon, cultured right half with 5 League winners medals 10 Scotland caps and 14 Scottish league caps in a career interrupted by the Great War. Jimmy Gordon served King and Country as a sergeant in the HLI.
Slim Jim, my late Dad’s all time Rangers hero, unfortunately I was too young to see him play with us but it must have been something to see him in his pomp, especially against the mob from the east end.

Don't kid yoursel', you weren't too young,
You were just old when you started watching the Rangers :p

Three great choices by the way

A lovely post.

Jimmy Gordon also played in every position for the club.

Baxter only played in two. Number ten as an inside forward and then at No 6, which seemed to go down a treat.

Came on here thinking it's got to be Baxter, Millar or Forrest. Then I was reminded of all the other names. That is really difficult, There cold be one for the best player and one for the best Ranger.

Even then ....

A lovely post.

Jimmy Gordon also played in every position for the club.

Baxter only played in two. Number ten as an inside forward and then at No 6, which seemed to go down a treat.

That raises an interesting thought/question.
I wonder how many players there are who wore only one number in their entire Rangers career (Goalkeepers excluded).
There can't have been many post WWII.

That raises an interesting thought/question.
I wonder how many players there are who wore only one number in their entire Rangers career (Goalkeepers excluded).
There can't have been many post WWII.

Ronnie McKinnon perhaps? Although I could envisage him being employed in another half back berth.

Dave Smith?

Andy Penman?

Ronnie McKinnon perhaps? Although I could envisage him being employed in another half back berth.

Dave Smith?

Andy Penman?

I thought of McKinnon, but he debuted at No 4, and also wore a 6 and a 3 early in his career.
Dave Smith I know wore 6 and 10.
Andy Penman sometimes a number 7.
I thought Willie Woodburn would be a good bet, but checked to see that he wore a No 9 in one game.
Jock Shaw might well be the one.

I thought of McKinnon, but he debuted at No 4, and also wore a 6 and a 3 early in his career.
Dave Smith I know wore 6 and 10.
Andy Penman sometimes a number 7.
I thought Willie Woodburn would be a good bet, but checked to see that he wore a No 9 in one game.
Jock Shaw might well be the one.

Jan Bartram?

I'll try a different one.

Terry Butcher always wore number 6 when he started a game.

Maybe!

Our Greatest ever Jimmy (James, Jim etc.), based purely on their PLAYING careers at Rangers

Fully expect Jim Baxter to win this hands down, so allowing 3 votes each person to see where the others rank.

Jimmy Gordon (1907-20) 388 Appearances.
Predominently a Right Half, though covered many different positions in his 13 year Rangers career. Captained Scotland to a famous 3-1 over England in 1914 in front of over 100,000 fans. Won 5 League Titles, 6 Glasgow Cups, 4 Charity Cups

James Bowie (1910-22) 351 Appearances.
A Wing Half who was a regular over 11 seasons, Collecting 6 Championship Titles.

Jimmy Fleming (1925-34) 278 Appearances, 231 GOALS.
One of our greatest ever Goalscorers, still holds a couple of records to this day, most Scottish Cup goals (44), and most goals in a single game (9). Won 7 League Titles in his 9 years at the Club

James 'Doc' Marshall (1926-34) 243 Appearances 137 Goals
Inbside Forward with a fantastic return of Goals. Collected 6 Championship Titles and 3 Scottish Cups

Jimmy Simpson (1927-40) 357 Appearances
A formidable Centre Half who collected 6 Championship Titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 6 Glasgow Cups all in the 1930's.
Selected for 14 consecutive games for Scotland between 1934-37, 3 against England, 2 wins 1 draw.

Jimmy Smith (1929-46) 390 Appearances, 365 GOALS.
Our greatest goalscorer ever. Won 9 League Titles (inc 4 Wartime). Played in two iconic Rangers sides, alongside McPhail, Meiklejohn, Archibald and Morton in the 30's, and Woodburn, Waddell and Young in the 40's.

Jimmy Duncanson (1940-50) 320 Appearances 149 Goals
An Inside Forward with an eye for goal who won 23 medals with Rangers throughout the war years, and that great post war Side in the late 1940's.

Jimmy Millar (1954-67) 330 Appearances 169 Goals
The old warhorse, and still a massive favourite with our older generation. A Wing Half who spent most of his career as our Centre Forward. In the 4 seasons after converting to a Centre Forward Millar scored 134 Goals in 183 Games.

Jim Baxter (1960-65) 236 Appearances
A short 5 year career, but will win this hands down, as the greatest Player, in our greatest team, in living memory.
10 Winners medals (3 League Titles, 3 Scottish Cups, and 4 League Cups) in that five year period.

Jim Forrest (1962-67) 166 Appearances 147 Goals
Less than 200 appearances. A phenomenal Goalscorer. A sensation who scored 55 Goals in 52 Games as a teenager. Scored 57 Goals in one season. Scored 145 goals in 152 games in a 40 month period, and we dumped him at 22 years of age!
Jimmy Bell ; club legend

Back