Our grestest central midfielder?

It all depends on what era you watched the Rangers, those who've watched from the early 60's will tell you it's Baxter, Gazza for the 90's fans and Barry for the younger ones. There's no right answer, I was in total awe of Souness but is 18 months enough to qualify? Ronald De Boer, was he a midfielder or a forward? I'm just grateful to have seen some of the finest players to have ever worn our jersey.

I think this will be a generational thing.

Those over 60 will say Baxter; those over 50 Souness, although we never really had him at his peak; those over 40, Gascoigne and over 30, Barry Ferguson.

I was too young for Baxter, but if I had to take any one of them at their peak I’d plum for TMB.

Albertz wasnt even close to Barry for a midfielder. He was good but people just think of the screamers of goals. He had some stinking games and wasnt even a first pick for long spells
If you think all Albertz had in his locker was a long range shot then you clearly didn't watch him. Saw Ferguson have some very poor games, especially in his second spell Very different players, yes. But if I can only have one of them in my Rangers team then its Albertz all day long.

For sheer ability Gascoigne in my lifetime, Souness was before my time.

Albertz was unbelievable as well, his assists numbers must be ridiculous, they didnt really mention assists till about 10 years ago but watch any Old Firm/European Game from the late 90s/Early 2000s and more often than not Albertz is either scoring or assisting at huge moments.

Barry Ferguson brilliant as well.

Gazza for me.
Only saw Baxter when he came back, he wasn't very good.
Souness was effectively done when he arrived, but showed glimpses of his previous greatness.
Durrant was magnificent. As was his pal Derek Ferguson. Alfie Conn was a great player and a favourite of mine as a boy. Bobby Russell was outstanding beside Doddie. Wee Barry was as good as any of them on his day.
Of the foreign contingent, Gio and Albertz were best.
However it's the Gerodie Boy called Paul, for me.

Baxter before my time, loved Souness and he had some great games for us but he was past his best when he joined us, as, to a lesser degree was Gazza. Barry should’ve achieved more in the game, as should his brother, Durrant would have achieved more but for the injury. All in the mix and no need to pick a winner for me.

Of the ones I have seen it is Gazza, even in recent history the stature of his signing still struggles to sink in.

If you tried to put it in context it would be like us signing the likes of De Bruyne from Man City today.

Some might disagree with the name I picked of who it would be like but we signed one of the worlds best midfielders who produced some of his best performance for us.

I feel like it’s probably Baxter. But Gazza’s the best midfielder I’ve ever seen at Rangers in my lifetime.

Barely one of them would be considered a central midfielder, so what is your point?
The reply was to someone who said Baxter was for a time the best player in the world, that off the top of my head list names players most pundits outwith ourselves would rate much higher. Clear enough?

Yup Gazza was at his peak when he joined us. Never saw Baxter play unfortunately so Gazza for me.

One of the last conversations I had with my Dad before he passed was who was his all time fav Rangers player.
I expected him to say Baxter, Greig or Henderson but without a blink he said Dave Smith.

If you're talking around 1962/63? better than Di Stefano, Puskas, Pele, Eusabio, Greaves, Law, I really don't think so.
Every one of those players rated Baxter as a true world great, he may not have been the best in the world but there was not many better than him in his position.

One of the last conversations I had with my Dad before he passed was who was his all time fav Rangers player.
I expected him to say Baxter, Greig or Henderson but without a blink he said Dave Smith.
An absolutely beautiful footballer.
I remember his performances as an imperious sweeper who could pinch the ball from an attacker's toes without him even realising he had been robbed.
However, his passes for two of the goals in Barcelona were sublime. Just as good as anything you could imagine Baxter doing. Lovely.

Gascoigne for this Bear. Remember turning up to watch a cruising Rangers play Falkirk. Gascoigne had fallen out with Smith on the Friday and was dropped. A still crazily strong XI struggled and may only have won 1-0, but I remember it was turgid. No Gazza, no Rangers.

Sadly only 55:D so didn't see Baxter.

From films and documentaries I've seen he was obviously special, loved and held in the highest regard

Before my time, so no knowledge of him.
One of many I wish I could have seen.
Before everybody's time!

Gascoigne for this Bear. Remember turning up to watch a cruising Rangers play Falkirk. Gascoigne had fallen out with Smith on the Friday and was dropped. A still crazily strong XI struggled and may only have won 1-0, but I remember it was turgid. No Gazza, no Rangers.

Sadly only 55:D so didn't see Baxter.

From films and documentaries I've seen he was obviously special, loved and held in the highest regard
We beat Falkirk 2-0 that day mate.
It was my first trip to Ibrox and I was gutted that Gazza wasn't playing!

Gazza is the best I’ve seen.

My grandpa maintained that Baxter was the best Scottish footballer of all time though, so I’ll go with Baxter.

Far too young to have seen Baxter play, but according to my grandad he was one of the best in the world of his generation, so I'd imagine it would be him.

Having not seen him myself, its Gazza for me, though I think Durrant could have exceeded him had it not been for that injury.
A key phrase.
To me though, Sixties superstars wouldn’t, with a few exception, survive in today’s game.
I’m not saying this is a good thing but, I believe it to be the truth.

Back