Our lack of fitness and negative tactics are concerning.

SpainLoyal4567

The season has just started and once again we find ourselves trailing in our first European game having won a scrappy game against Livingston with a bit of luck, the main problem with yesterday was the tactics, did we even have any shots on their goal? They were there for the taking and all we did was sit back and allow them to come into the game and eventually score, yeah the penalty was harsh but we got what we deserved, that was a spineless performance. We have to start talking about Ryan Jack, he's never fully fit or ready, when was the last time he played a full 90 minutes? We need fit and available players every match and lately too many players have been off the pace, granted it's only half time but we need to start improving fast, we have a long season ahead and we can't keep making the same mistakes. I'm still confident about the season but I expect so much more.

Last edited:
It is concerning that the problems of last season seem to have become the problems of this season.

Lots of possession with no real forward momentum - the typical side to side passing around midfield.

Conceding through what is usually the oppositions first shot on target, or near enough.

Even when we do start creating chances we aren't anywhere near clinical enough. It takes us dozens of attempts per goal, compared to the opposition's 1.

Basically we give ourselves a mountain to climb too often, and never the equipment to do it.

shape was all wrong simple as that. Mistake by Gio in this instance.

back 5 was wrong, too negative.
Kamara and Jack offered very little, espescially jack.
we needed an ACM last night to link up with Colak. i think Colak will score alot of goals but he wants to play on the shoulder, the way we set up last night we needed him to come deep to create the space for the forwards which never happened.
Barisic was terrible.

I think at Ibrox we will high press them and put them under alot of pressure, still fancy us to go through

we needed an ACM last night to link up with Colak. i think Colak will score alot of goals but he wants to play on the shoulder, the way we set up last night we needed him to come deep to create the space for the forwards which never happened.
Barisic was terrible.

I think at Ibrox we will high press them and put them under alot of pressure, still fancy us to go through
The worrying part is GvB didn't manage to correct his strategy in the whole 90 mins. 66 minute subs doesn't cut the mustard there needed to be a change in play which I didn't see.

We are dreadfully slow in the build up, sideways passing back and forth, allied with a lack of forward movement, imagination and guile, its a frustrating watch.
:(
It has been like this even in our league last season hence the scum having a greater goal difference than us,I can't see it changing as it's the managers way of playing ,centre back to centre back then to the full backs eventually we end back at our keeper,boring football at its best.

We are dreadfully slow in the build up, sideways passing back and forth, allied with a lack of forward movement, imagination and guile, its a frustrating watch.
:(
The pace at which we moved the ball last night was shocking. No zip on any passes. In the second half we had a two and a half minute spell of passing the ball out from the keeper, never got further up the park than five yards outside our own box and Lundstrum ended up hitting it off one of their players out for a goal kick.

Not sure why you think they were "there for the taking" OP. The Belgian's set up to only really allow us to pass side to side and we played into their hands.

The tactics and refusal to take responsibility last night were key factors.

It’s been a frustration of mine even since Gerrard’s tenure.

It’s been said a thousand times by everyone - we don’t need two defensive midfielders in 90% of our games.

I could maybe see the point if it was actually successful in reducing the number of goals we concede but it isn’t.

Play on the front foot, in the oppositions half, against inferior teams. It’s really that simple.

On the fitness; I think it’s clear that our superior fitness last year was a product of the number of games we were playing, rather than it being anything that was nurtured in pre-season or in training.

The worrying part is GvB didn't manage to correct his strategy in the whole 90 mins. 66 minute subs doesn't cut the mustard there needed to be a change in play which I didn't see.

I dont think he wanted to correct it.

Happy to take a one goal loss and move on to next week.

The ridiculous penalty call led to us then chasing a goal and leaving all sorts of gaps at the back.

Many of us were aghast at how underprepared and half-arsed we were at the start of last season. Last night was every bit as bad, if not worse

Worrying
Last year we had to contend with Gerrard chucking it. Gio has had plenty to spend and it is a scary thought that last night's performance may indicate we are weaker than last year. Major improvements needed immediately.

People are talking about the goalkeeper situation but I’m really starting to think the lack of investment in midfield is going to be the bigger problem. The fact we’re in the process of throwing away £5m in this round alone makes it unlikely we will address this without a sale.

Always thought Brazil would let the opposition score to let them think they could beat them, then Brazil would start all the tricks and bang in 3-4. It could be the management team think we have players that are capable of this

How bad was the passing last night it was shocking the amount of times the ball was given away

Everything but the kitchen sink is being thrown in after last night, now it's the fitness levels. Our tactics were not great, but if last night confirms anything then it's that we still rely heavily on Morelos; compounded by the absence of Kent, last night. The tie may not be over as yet, but it probably is over if they don't play next week.

It was obvs too defensive but we have a number of players who are just too slow in movement and thought.

We see in many times domestically and forget about it as we, more often than not, turn games around and get results.

Play that way in Europe and itll be a very different story as light night painfully illustrated.

far to ponderous in our build up against a team happy to concede possession in safe areas of the par, when we were playing the ball out from the back, they pressed us high, when they were playing it out we stood off them, this is reminiscent of our start to last season under Gerard when we conceded first in almost every game.

I dont think he wanted to correct it.

Happy to take a one goal loss and move on to next week.

The ridiculous penalty call led to us then chasing a goal and leaving all sorts of gaps at the back.
The gaps at the back were there before they got the penalty. They missed a great chance just before they scored the opener. Did we really go chasing a goal at any point in the game last night either really?

The worrying thing going into the weekend is that McInnes knows how to set up against us at Ibrox. He knows the crowd will turn after 15-20 mins if we're not on top. He'll park the bus and frustrate us.

Everything but the kitchen sink is being thrown in after last night, now it's the fitness levels. Our tactics were not great, but if last night confirms anything then it's that we still rely heavily on Morelos; compounded by the absence of Kent, last night. The tie may not be over as yet, but it probably is over if they don't play next week.
I agree completely on the over reliance on Morelos. We have surely brought enough money in with the Patterson, Bassey and Aribo transfers, Gerrard compo and Europa league run to have bought another quality forward in?

It has been like this even in our league last season hence the scum having a greater goal difference than us,I can't see it changing as it's the managers way of playing ,centre back to centre back then to the full backs eventually we end back at our keeper,boring football at its best.
Add that to teams in there own half waiting , and it’s turgid stuff .

I agree completely on the over reliance on Morelos. We have surely brought enough money in with the Patterson, Bassey and Aribo transfers, Gerrard compo and Europa league run to have bought another quality forward in?
Perhaps that depends on the situation with Roofe either staying or leaving.

Why? even if he stays we know that he can’t really be replied upon as his next injury is just a few games away.
I expect if we lost Roofe we would need to think more carefully about who replaced him, compared to who we would bring in if he stayed. Good question though, because this became a problem area at the end of last season.

I expect if we lost Roofe we would need to think more carefully about who replaced him, compared to who we would bring in to replace him. Good question though, because this became a problem area at the end of last season.
I would have liked us to show more ambition and brought in a striker that could maybe even have taken Morelos’s starting place in the team. Colak seems like a very lazy signing that we probably wouldn’t have even been aware of had we not played Malmö last season tbh.

Barisic was terrible.

Agree with a lot of this though hard on barasic he was running that line himself as tillman kept going inside the shape of team wasnt set up for that any time he had the ball he had to pass back as no one went ahead of him down the line.

Tillman had some good touches but he was getting drawn closer to the ball but our shape and style of play generally dictates we need keep players wide or we are not stretching the defence and creating gaps to go into. And pulls the midfield up closer.

One of the few times we did do it colak should have gambled more and got his head on ball

The worrying thing going into the weekend is that McInnes knows how to set up against us at Ibrox. He knows the crowd will turn after 15-20 mins if we're not on top. He'll park the bus and frustrate us.
They'll be no need to park the bus. We'll be too busy playing the ball around the horseshoe with slow, 5 yard passes to each other. But at least we'll have 80% possession

I would have liked us to show more ambition and brought in a striker that could maybe even have taken Morelos’s starting place in the team. Colak seems like a very lazy signing that we probably wouldn’t have even been aware of had we not played Malmö last season tbh.
I think Colak might end up good. He should have had the credit of a goal against Livingston; we should take some hope from that.

The tactics last night weren't any different to how we approached the away games last season in the knockout stage. The failure to address that when it wasn't working and sticking with it for the full game was more the issue for me.

We’re undercooked , especially the new signings , it will get better but could take 2 or 3 games , we have to be competitive in these games

The season has just started and once again we find ourselves trailing in our first European game having won a scrappy game against Livingston with a bit of luck, the main problem with yesterday was the tactics, did we even have any shots on their goal? They were there for the taking and all we did was sit back and allow them to come into the game and eventually score, yeah the penalty was harsh but we got what we deserved, that was a spineless performance. We have to start talking about Ryan Jack, he's never fully fit or ready, when was the last time he played a full 90 minutes? We need fit and available players every match and lately too many players have been off the pace, granted it's only half time but we need to start improving fast, we have a long season ahead and we can't keep making the same mistakes. I'm still confident about the season but I expect so much more.
Lethargic after the first five minutes

We weren't ready for last night's game for a number of reasons, injuries to key players, match sharpness of others, new players bedding in etc,

But, this Rangers team was the fittest I've ever seen in the 2nd half of last season. Let's not write them off yet.

It’s baffling why we make a meal of it against lesser sides. Too negative.

Yet we see that mob regularly scudding 4,5 goals past the dross in the league. We are just too cautious
Hate to say it but the way they have their midfield set up against the diddy teams is THE way to scud them on a consistent basis.

Back