Our last domestic clean sheet was 9.5 weeks ago at Dundee

Brick_Top

Official Ticketer
It’s my only concern going into games like tonight this season. Essentially knowing we’ll need an absolute minimum of 2 goals to get a result.

Last season we were going to places like Rugby Park, Easter Road and Livi and grinding out 1-0 wins. This season that just doesn’t feel possible.

Is there a quick fix to tightening up the defence? Hopefully Helander coming back next month and more game time for Jack will offer more security at the back.

Here’s hoping we go and stroll to a 2 or 3 nil victory tonight and I look like a tit for starting this thread.

At least we haven't conceded first in the last couple of games, let's build on that now and start grinding out these 1-0 wins.

It’s an embarrassing stat given that we all thought it would be the paedos leaking goals this season. This is why GVB’s new approach where we seem to be starting games better gives me a bit of reassurance. We simply need to get the early goals in these games.

9 1/2 weeks? Wow.

225218__90981.1349956560.1280.1280.jpg

Our goals against after 14 league games of the season :

18/19 : 12
19/20 : 8
20/21 : 3
21/22 : 15

Our goals for is also the lowest of the last 4 seasons too.

I posted tracking graphs last season which showed how exceptional it was defensively - this season - particularly up until matchday 11 has been dire for real life league goal difference and points (forget the xG). If I have time I will updated at the weekend.

Our goals against after 14 league games of the season :

18/19 : 12
19/20 : 8
20/21 : 3
21/22 : 15

Our goals for is also the lowest of the last 4 seasons too.

I posted tracking graphs last season which showed how exceptional it was defensively - this season - particularly up until matchday 11 has been dire for real life league goal difference and points (forget the xG). If I have time I will updated at the weekend.

The thing I feel has been roundly forgotten by all was during our exceptional defensive run early last season we still generally choked up a huge chance in the 3/4 nil games. I remember at least twice at Ibrox guys missing near open goals or Mcgregor wonder save in games we went on to win 4-5 nil.

This season has they have all gone in. Both positions feel like an outlier to me and hopefully we can see the norm being true now on in.

Biggest concern is that our opponents never need to work hard to score against us. Always really cheap goals we're giving away. On the flip side, that means it should be easier to fix you'd think?

For me the obvious change under Gio which is not a criticism is we have started to play a bit more "direct"- this results though in less possession and may be a problem against better teams. Whether Hibs can/will exploit that is up for debate but it is the one clear negative difference I've seen.
Gio needs to adapt the team to his style that will take time but I do feel we need to get back to retaining the ball better.

Obviously if you can't defend in football you are in trouble and that needs to be a top priority tonight. I've stuck up for Goldson because overall I don't think his performances were as bad as stated and the contract thing has been a big problem with perception however I thought on Sunday he was poor.

We need to see a team effort tonight with a bit more stability over the 90 not dropping out of the games the way we have been recently.

Be very interesting tonight as Gio saw first hand the disaster at Hampden......

It’s my only concern going into games like tonight this season. Essentially knowing we’ll need an absolute minimum of 2 goals to get a result.

Last season we were going to places like Rugby Park, Easter Road and Livi and grinding out 1-0 wins. This season that just doesn’t feel possible.

Is there a quick fix to tightening up the defence? Hopefully Helander coming back next month and more game time for Jack will offer more security at the back.

Here’s hoping we go and stroll to a 2 or 3 nil victory tonight and I look like a tit for starting this thread.
This season we’re doing Angeball to rub their noses in it :))

We couldn’t hope to equalise last season defensively, but I agree the swing has gone too far

Helander is the missing piece of the defensive puzzle.

We never lost a game that he played last season.

Last season was a fluke, defensive wise, at times we rode our luck.
Most teams lose silly goals at times.
Keep the faith,and 56 will be coming home.

Admin, please change thread tittle to “Our last domestic clean sheet was 2 mins ago’

There yees go lads.

Thank me later for starting this threadB-D

The cleansheets will start rolling in now.

Like most I thought Goldson had checked out because he knows he's away but now I think he just couldn't be arsed with Gerrard any more.

Back