our last indirect free kick in the box

PunkScott

A Brian Laudrup video I watched yesterday showed him scoring a belter of a free kick in the box (not for us) and it got me thinking when the last time we got one was?

It isn't a common occurrence granted, but I can't think of any of the top of my head.

Gary

Something is telling me McCoist scored one in the earlier part of his Rangers career. I have no video or logic behind this, just a vague memory of him hitting it and then running away to celebrate.

Flying Fullback

They used to be semi common when the back pass rule first came and keepers were still getting used to it. Can't remember last time I saw an indirect free kick inside the box in any game

Chris the Bandito

I've never understood why players don't just shoot rather than getting a touch to the side which invariably gets blocked. In all probability a direct shot will take a touch or deflection on its way in any case.
Ether that or just roll it straight back and as everyone and their dog charge off the line, just have a player loft it over everyone into the empty net.

Indirect free kicks in the box are scored at a tiny % for no other reason than most players are stupid and managers don't spend time preparing for them because they don't happen very often.

Uddy Gers

The clue is in the name. It’s an indirect free kick so a player has to take a touch before another player can take a shot.
You’re wrong with that one bud.

You can shoot at goal from an indirect free kick as long as it touches an opponent/teammate on the way into the goal.

InTheKnow

You’re wrong with that one bud.

You can shoot at goal from an indirect free kick as long as it touches an opponent/teammate on the way into the goal.
You are not allowed to shoot at goal until one of your players touches the ball.

A deflection would still be from the direct shot and the kick would be retaken.

Oduwa

Official Ticketer
You would know all about ironic log in names

Try adding to the debate by contributing facts rather than trying to act like a smart arse. :rolleyes:
“The clue is in the name” ranks highly in the smart arse stakes and it’s even funnier because you’re wrong.

“Let’s start with an obvious one - what exactly is an indirect free-kick? Simply put, this is a way of re-starting a football match that means the ball cannot be kicked directly into the goal. In order for a goal to be scored from an indirect free-kick, the ball must be touched by a player from either team before it crosses the goal line. If a goal is scored from an indirect free-kick without having gained a touch from another player then the defending team is awarded a goal kick.”

Uddy Gers

“The clue is in the name” ranks highly in the smart arse stakes and it’s even funnier because you’re wrong.

“Let’s start with an obvious one - what exactly is an indirect free-kick? Simply put, this is a way of re-starting a football match that means the ball cannot be kicked directly into the goal. In order for a goal to be scored from an indirect free-kick, the ball must be touched by a player from either team before it crosses the goal line. If a goal is scored from an indirect free-kick without having gained a touch from another player then the defending team is awarded a goal kick.”
Correct.

If it isn’t in the Laws of the game then it isn’t a law.

The referee indicates an IDFK by raising his arm above the head; this is maintained until the kick has been taken and the ball touches another player (above example), goes out of play or it is clear that a goal can’t be scored directly.

That is the law. It doesn’t mention that a goal is overruled if you think the player was trying to score via deflection off an opponent.

As I said, if InTheKnow can shine the light on the law he speaks of that would be welcomed.