Our Manager Got It Absolutely Spot On Tonight

Stephen

Can obviously do it when the opposition are going toe to toe and are seeking a result. Unlocking teams playing the game of their lives to secure one miserable SPFL point is the challenge.

alza_ger1873

Fantasy land (I am well aware) but I would love to see us playing in a league with the likes of Braga, Porto and bigger teams from other smaller European leagues.

Sheep, Hivs etc etc are just boring. Even when we were playing well over the years and beating them, the day to day of it is boring. Yes, winning the league overall is great but it’s just a dire level in Scotland and getting worse.

Would love to leave these wee diddy teams and referees to their own obscurity.

Cambuslangger

When 90% of our goals conceded are from individual errors I am not sure SG tactics can have much of an effect. We played well at the weekend and gave away the two most schoolboy goals to gift the opposition a point. Yes, he has made mistakes but when the players perform we are a good side. Let's push on from this.

steve1873

His tactics were spot on tonight. Maybe he should consider a similar approach in certain games away in the SPFL?
Which sides are going to press us and play such a high line against us? Nobody in Scotland, because they quite simply realise they will be ripped to shreds.

Burgh-Ger

While the manager and players deserve criticism for the domestic games!
They all deserve massive credit for europe!
Steve G - i have 100% trust in you

HandsomeHead

Were any of us really surprised that we won tonight?

The manager knows what he’s doing in Europe and it’s going to take a better team than Braga to knock us out, but he needs to adopt a different approach domestically.

Alfie and Kamberi up front on Saturday please, Mr Gerrard.

Woodrow Call

He's not had it easy recently, but tonight he once again got his game plan absolutely spot on in Europe.

Some of the crackpot 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-4-2 formations and personnel selections on here leading up to this game were bordering on lunacy.

Thankfully Gerrard has turned us into a superb counter attacking and well disciplined European side.

Hopefully those on here who wanted him sacked and said we were going backwards can see the bigger picture now.

Steven Gerrard has given us European credibility back and certainly deserves tme to get it right domestically.

If he gets that time from us, then he'll definitely get that right as well, starting at Tynecastle on Saturday.
Thing is being a superb counter attacking team is phuck all good to us against Hearts, Sheep and St Johnstone. The formations that you ridicule are just people making suggestions to try and change from the turgid pish we are being served up in the league. We need to change it for league games. 433 is simply not working. That's not an opinion that's an absolute fact.

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
He's not had it easy recently, but tonight he once again got his game plan absolutely spot on in Europe.

Some of the crackpot 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-4-2 formations and personnel selections on here leading up to this game were bordering on lunacy.

Thankfully Gerrard has turned us into a superb counter attacking and well disciplined European side.

Hopefully those on here who wanted him sacked and said we were going backwards can see the bigger picture now.

Steven Gerrard has given us European credibility back and certainly deserves tme to get it right domestically.

If he gets that time from us, then he'll definitely get that right as well, starting at Tynecastle on Saturday.
Agree with all of that, with the exception of the last part of the last sentence. I really hope to god we do win that, but I can't help but shite myself.

On tonight though, I thought tactics, team selection, everything was absolutely spot on. And what a joy to see all our players doing their jobs properly and a little bit more.
Outstanding performance and result from everyone.

sandbankbear

Some of the football we have played in Europe under the gaffer especially away from home has been top drawer. Ryan jack just seems to belong on that stage.

MearnsUnionist

Thing is being a superb counter attacking team is phuck all good to us against Hearts, Sheep and St Johnstone. The formations that you ridicule are just people making suggestions to try and change from the turgid pish we are being served up in the league. We need to change it for league games. 433 is simply not working. That's not an opinion that's an absolute fact.

The formations you say I ridiculed Woodrow were suggestions from folk on here for tonight's game, not domestic matches.

The players being selected were even worse.

Some weren't even in the Europa squad.

Absolute lunacy.

Sutton_Blows_goats

Europe hasnt been a problem for him at all.

Being able to go toe to toe with the likes of Villareal and Porto, teams with £30 million players - and beating Braga who have some superb players, Trincao Barca bound and a very good keeper too is no small feat.

The elephant is still in the room though. Hearts, Killie, St Johnstone etc. You could buy those clubs for the 1/4 of a Trincao. We need to find a solution to this and we have a great thing going on.

Maturebear63

Official Ticketer
Great result tactically and from the players tonight. For the doubters:

Groundhog-Day is not the answer every 2 seasons. paying managers and their backroom staff with money we don't have.
Not to mention the revolving door of players coming and going, back to square One giving them 2 years to win a trophy then sacking them.
Yes there has been a dip in form, and most on here have given up on the league. For the record I still think the Manks will drop points during the run in, and we still have to meet twice.

The Manager is making tracks and WILL deliver with that I have no doubt. We have vastly improved since 2012 on the field and in all competitions.

I was at Ibrox supporting the team during the 70's when we had crowds of 7 thousand, it was not a pretty site but,my mates and I would turn up to every game home and away and supported the team 100% win or lose.

Yes, I agree we should be beating the hammer-throwers in our league on paper week in and week out. but football is not that simple on paper, especially with the football (lack off) the hammer-throwers play and the fact we are being reffed to a different standard, with a touch of blatant cheating thrown in.

WATP.

Chester Loyal

The European games aren’t the issue, the league games are.

As good as nights like last night were, the manager has to find a system that works for a full season in the league too.

ghoulishworm

OP spot on, should have been more but absolutely over the moon for RK...if ever a player needed a goal it was him. Alfie at the weekend now please. Flo led the line very well. Everyone take a bow. Big George Edmunson, different class and wasn’t he bursting with pride at the interview. He will do me.
As Ally said,you could fit a coathanger in that smile. :))

ao2

Brilliant post mate, and bang on the money. I've barely been on the forum since Sunday because I knew it would be full of eejits wanting him sacked. I asked some of them after the Kilmarnock game who they'd replace him with and not one could give an answer.

Things have gone wrong of late in the league yes but it's undeniable we are streets ahead of where we were in April 2018. Changing managers now would put us back at least another year, and maybe more if he didn't succeed. We are not only in the last 16 of a European competition (let that sink in), but we are there playing like we know how to play at that level. Other than the first hour against Braga at Ibrox we have more than looked comfortable in Europe. Cast your mind back to 4th July 2017 and Progress Niedercorn and you can see the massive strides we've taken.

Thornliebank_Bear

One of the best things about ff has to be the 2 posters that explain football for us dafties.

Thank you so much MearnsUnionist and dylan_ger.

Telt yez im always right.

Para Handy

His record in Europe as a Rangers manager is there with the best. His win ratio in European football is fantastic

MearnsUnionist

Brilliant post mate, and bang on the money. I've barely been on the forum since Sunday because I knew it would be full of eejits wanting him sacked. I asked some of them after the Kilmarnock game who they'd replace him with and not one could give an answer.

Things have gone wrong of late in the league yes but it's undeniable we are streets ahead of where we were in April 2018. Changing managers now would put us back at least another year, and maybe more if he didn't succeed. We are not only in the last 16 of a European competition (let that sink in), but we are there playing like we know how to play at that level. Other than the first hour against Braga at Ibrox we have more than looked comfortable in Europe. Cast your mind back to 4th July 2017 and Progress Niedercorn and you can see the massive strides we've taken.

100% mate.

Edmundson brought in and the no nonsense defending once we settled were exactly what we needed. Please, please kick on from there team.

Forza_Napoli

We allow ourselves to get caught up with all of these scum rumours & it’s seeped into us Gramps.

We should NEVER forget that they hate our existence, stick together as a community, and NEVER SURRENDER to that cult.
Not bad for a squad that have been pumping prostitutes that have a core of bullies a left back that's been in the priory and a manager that they all hate hahaha we live in there heads rent free if they go out tonight there well be another meltdown on the way

Grigo Yossarian

Not bad for a squad that have been pumping prostitutes that have a core of bullies a left back that's been in the priory and a manager that they all hate hahaha we live in there heads rent free if they go out tonight there well be another meltdown on the way
Here’s hoping mate, would love that. They’re capable of meltdown no question.

We’ve just allowe’d them & their media to dictate the agenda & refereeing decisions & it’s vital we all stick together now.

We all know the truth & let’s fight to get that out to the world.

Forza_Napoli

Here’s hoping mate, would love that. They’re capable of meltdown no question.

We’ve just allowe’d them & their media to dictate the agenda & refereeing decisions & it’s vital we all stick together now.

We all know the truth & let’s fight to get that out to the world.
Referring deductions are what separates us in terms of how games plan out there allowed to play football where were kicked off the park we need to keep pushing this agenda until it's a level playing field. Don't get me wrong its mostly our fault we're behind but the refs don't help our cause.

Ponientebear

If he gets that time from us, then he'll defignitely get that right as well, starting at Tynecastle on Saturday.
People weren’t talking about Europe when he quite deservedly got criticised.
Of course Europe is a pleasant distraction and a nice money making exercise but Gerrard and his players have being nothing short of atrocious since they returned from “their break”.
Playing as we have been in Europe makes our form domestically all the more frustrating, is it an attitude thing or have we a team and manager that doesn’t know how to play against inferior opposition who don’t make a game of it.
That’s the mystery.

Ponientebear

Were any of us really surprised that we won tonight?

The manager knows what he’s doing in Europe and it’s going to take a better team than Braga to knock us out, but he needs to adopt a different approach domestically.

Alfie and Kamberi up front on Saturday please, Mr Gerrard.
I agree with the two up front but again Kamberi is cup tied.

Renfrew@UKGB&NI

We allow ourselves to get caught up with all of these scum rumours & it’s seeped into us Gramps.

We should NEVER forget that they hate our existence, stick together as a community, and NEVER SURRENDER to that cult.
Here's the thing mate. It's fairly obvious there are a number of taigs stirring the pot in here. I've noticed plenty who have feck all to say when things go well, as soon as things go wrong, their nearly crashing the site with negativity.

Even after last night we have posters having a go at Alex Rae. I refuse to believe any good rangers fan after a night like that, decides to have a go at a true rangers man. That and I believe I speak for many, would have been the furthest thing from my mind.

Stevie McDougall

Excellent. Got to carry that performance on from now to the end of the season. Everyone one doing their roles in the proper manner. Hopefully our recent bad performances are in the past. As long as the team is seen to be putting in the work and backing up team mates will make things a lot better. We are not a bad side.

Grigo Yossarian

Referring deductions are what separates us in terms of how games plan out there allowed to play football where were kicked off the park we need to keep pushing this agenda until it's a level playing field. Don't get me wrong its mostly our fault we're behind but the refs don't help our cause.
Agree we’ve let ourselves down FN, but it would still be close if decisions were correct & our reaction as a fanbase wouldn’t have been as severe as it’s been recently.

Grigo Yossarian

Here's the thing mate. It's fairly obvious there are a number of taigs stirring the pot in here. I've noticed plenty who have feck all to say when things go well, as soon as things go wrong, their nearly crashing the site with negativity.

Even after last night we have posters having a go at Alex Rae. I refuse to believe any good rangers fan after a night like that, decides to have a go at a true rangers man. That and I believe I speak for many, would have been the furthest thing from my mind.
Im totally with you Renfrew.

Our club are fighting back from almost terminal circumstances & while its two steps forward & one back at times they are OUR CLUB.

At least we can go & watch them most weeks & I’d have been lost to football for one if they weren’t here.

They’re my first love, and I’ll never give up on them no matter what happens. So let’s ensure the lurkers don’t influence our love.

rfm53247

Official Ticketer
I can't think of a single game where he hasn't got it spot on in Europe.

Even in Ufa with nine men and against Villarreal with 10.

Tonight was a masterclass. Soon as we scored Braga turned into a team with one tactic - get it wide and hoof it in the box.

30 games and only three defeats. Absolutely incredible stat.
Especially when you consider in at least 2 of them we should have got something.

Renfrew@UKGB&NI

Im totally with you Renfrew.

Our club are fighting back from almost terminal circumstances & while its two steps forward & one back at times they are OUR CLUB.

At least we can go & watch them most weeks & I’d have been lost to football for one if they weren’t here.

They’re my first love, and I’ll never give up on them no matter what happens. So let’s ensure the lurkers don’t influence our love.
Well said my good man, what a shame it would have been if things turned out differently. My local bus to glasgow could have been passing new flats on the site of ibrox.

That is enough for me. Our way of life, our history passed down through generations, nearly gone. I say this to true rangers fans, not the rabble. They will know exactly what I mean.

Govan_derry

Official Ticketer

First 60 mins against braga we put our full backs against theirs which didn’t work. It left space for their forward players. When our midfielders started closing down their full backs the whole game changed.
Kamara didn’t look like he knew where he was to be positioned in the first game and when he was replaced we were better than braga