Our Manager tactics since start of the season.

Yorkhill_True_Blues

What is the game plan when we are sent out?

I genuinely don't know what the plan is. It appears to be we go wide and cross the ball then repeat.

Last season he got it right on so many occasions. You could see his tactics and understand. Of course some mistakes along the way. Players were outstanding.

This season the players are getting questioned for performances which are a good bit off last season. The attitude and intensity.

What does the manager change at this point or do we keep going through the motions till it comes together?

Livingston in cup is coming up on Wednesday night and its shocking that we are still awaiting a performance to settle the support.

I genuinely don't know what the plan is. It appears to be we go wide and cross the ball then repeat.

Last season he got it right on so many occasions. You could see his tactics and understand. Of course some mistakes along the way. Players were outstanding.

This season the players are getting questioned for performances which are a good bit off last season. The attitude and intensity.

What does the manager change at this point or do we keep going through the motions till it comes together?

Livingston in cup is coming up on Wednesday night and its shocking that we are still awaiting a performance to settle the support.
I'm concerned when the opposition coach is agitated sending instructions to players re formation and tactics and for whole game SG is more or less unmoved about our teams play. Does he think they are playing as planned or does he not want or know how to change things?

We are so one dimensional.

Its the same set up every week and has been for the best part of 4 seasons now.. like for like subs don't help much either.

Teams know exactly how we are going to set up and play.

It was blatantly obvious in Gerrards first 2 seasons and it looks like we're on a similar path this year in terms of consistency.

Go to your bed mate we’re 4 clear we’ll pump Livingston! People like you will chase Gerrard away from Ibrox!

Dominate the ball enough to get Tav/Barisic high up the pitch. Then give them the ball to cross it into the box.

We’re a shadow of what we were last season and doing little to dispel the theory that it’s because fans are back in.

I think the first half showed plenty amd was just missing sharpness infront of goal.

Some of our patterns and inter changes were excellent.

No idea why we did not show up for the second half
But some of those patterns and inter changes were far too over cooked. Not much passion on display in second half. Who looks like they want to run through a brick wall for the team?

Between playing Lundstram earlier in the season which had a big hand in us losing to Malmö away and Dundee Utd.

Today he brings in Simpson when Balogun should have started. It cost us again.

Completely valid to be asking some questions of some of the management teams decisions

We’ve not played well during both halves of a match. That and his inability to change at the right time is becoming frustrating.

The substitutions were at the very least, 10 minutes too late.

the big concern is we don’t seem to be able to get a level of consistency out of the players. That first 45 mins today was as good as I’ve seen us this year then the utter shite that followed was brutal

We need to keep that inter play around the box going. The ball out wide, cross and repeat harks back to 2 seasons ago. To be fair, we have lost a number of key players this season as well. We have been very stop start this season as a result of this. We really need to get a settled team ASAP.

I'm struggling to explain this lack of high press and low intensity this season.

I can only assume Gerrard is doing it as he knows how physically draining it is and probably isn't sustainable over 2 full consecutive seasons? Kinda like Liverpool couldn't after they won the league.

Maybe the plan is to get to Xmas still on top with this lower intensity and then after the winter break go back to the high press.

At least that's what I hope!

The midfield is a problem.

Defensively ive noticed this season that our midfield 3 get easily bypassed by opponents allowing them to get up the pitch & form an attack more easily. It just feels like we don't have that same level of control or dominance in there vs last season.

Our other issue is players not breaking through the lines. Arfield on form is a prime example of being able to do this & disrupt opponents. However given we haven't ever bothered replacing him or getting in someone similar (particularly daft given his injury record & age), we look so static & predictable

Dominate the ball enough to get Tav/Barisic high up the pitch. Then give them the ball to cross it into the box.

We’re a shadow of what we were last season and doing little to dispel the theory that it’s because fans are back in.
We seem to go for this tactic constantly and these crosses from 25 yards plus out cause little problems for the opposing teams. We don’t have a player in the box who will out jump and win the headers so why keep trying this. In games like this we would be better with proper wide players to get to the bye line and cross out the way or take the full backs on. So frustrating to watch.

We've become too predictable and need to tweak the formation as it's not working, we don't look like scoring from open play but don't get me wrong we played some good stuff today at times but the final product is letting us down.

A lot of it is down to player form but equally, even SPL defenders eventually learned how to play against Advocaat’s side. They learned how to play against Laudrup. Hell, even Brendan’s Tim side were figured out in due course.

We need a shake-up in system. This isn’t a rut or a blip, or a fitness issue. Teams have adapted, and we must do the same.

The midfield is the problem and we need a forward running player that can shoot . The manager must be able to see this
Agreed.

Attacking wise Our midfield just doesn't offer enough.

I guess we are left hoping that Baccuna will make a difference as Jack (as much as I like him) is not that kind of player either.

I'm concerned when the opposition coach is agitated sending instructions to players re formation and tactics and for whole game SG is more or less unmoved about our teams play. Does he think they are playing as planned or does he not want or know how to change things?
To be fair I don't think it's Gerrard who dictates tactics, I think Beale does the tactics and we dont vary any way we play in a game its plan A better or nothing, it seems we start really well and then when teams suss us out we don't change which would explain how many times our second half performances sometimes flag.

I love the wee man but when he refused to pass to Sakala in that breakaway I could have killed him.
However, I'd blame the new low-intensity strategy rather than the players.
Is this actually a thing, or is it simply something we imagine must be a thing to explain why we appear so slow and lacklustre?

I love the wee man but when he refused to pass to Sakala in that breakaway I could have killed him.
However, I'd blame the new low-intensity strategy rather than the players.
Me too. I mentioned on the other thread that it seemed strange that Davis never played him in because he definitely saw him.

I’m going to stick my neck out here, but I doubt if the players entirely trust the new recruits.

I think our tactics so far this season proves something isn’t quite right with the squad , weither it be fitness , injuries , COVID etc there just isn’t the same intensity , nowhere near infact

the first half today was the first game this season where I sat at half time and said I had enjoyed the half ( frustrated at only 1-0 ) but we played some really good stuff and looked sharp and innovative .. no surprise that was a result of a new look , fresh , front 3 IMO

To be fair I don't think it's Gerrard who dictates tactics, I think Beale does the tactics and we dont vary any way we play in a game its plan A better or nothing, it seems we start really well and then when teams suss us out we don't change which would explain how many times our second half performances sometimes flag.
Def looks like that but it's a strange coach who would not amend tactics depending on how a match develops. The military maxim is no plan survives contact with the enemy and I'd think would apply to any contest.

I’m not saying today is great, far from it. But dearie me… this team has dropped 5 points this season, 3 away at a tricky venue when still trying to get up to speed and deal with players returning late, and 2 today ending the most successful run in our history in terms of consecutive league wins.

We are without our best defender, our most potent attacking threat (IMO) is out after getting injured even if his own form has been inconsistent (most probably due to a disrupted pre season and injury, and that affecting confidence). Our best striker is nursing a tight hamstring too. Our midfield is missing a key man, whose presence allows us to rest and rotate some other midfielders. We’ve been unable to buy anyone so are rooting in free transfers and, there’s a reason players are free transfers most of the time. We’re also missing our best ‘eye for a pass’ player to help break down deep lying defences too.

should we still have enough to beat Motherwell at home? Yes. But can we have a tiny bit of perspective?

Possession, possession, possession to the detriment of everything else.
100% correct. It’s clear the instructions are keep the ball - even if that means we slow everything down then so be it.

It’s brutal to watch as there is no urgency going forward - we are lucky if we are creating 2/3 clear cut chances a game. Teams have sussed out our style and it’s easy to defend against and a real worry. It’s not just today…it’s been like that all season.

First half we tried to play through the middle, I thought it worked well enough and the play was decent.

After the goal we started play wide a bit more but that was in part due to the 11 men behind the ball.

The tactics were fine, the finishing was poor

Is this actually a thing, or is it simply something we imagine must be a thing to explain why we appear so slow and lacklustre?
Not sure, HH. I couldn't swear to it. I am sure I read on here that Beale on RTV had explained the change and the reasoning behind it. I haven't seen any video like that but I don't have the full membership on RTV so haven't seen them all. However, I have put it up here a couple of times now and no one has backed me up so it may just be one of those FF things.
Maybe one for Mark to ask at a press conference.

I’m not saying today is great, far from it. But dearie me… this team has dropped 5 points this season, 3 away at a tricky venue when still trying to get up to speed and deal with players returning late, and 2 today ending the most successful run in our history in terms of consecutive league wins.

We are without our best defender, our most potent attacking threat (IMO) is out after getting injured even if his own form has been inconsistent (most probably due to a disrupted pre season and injury, and that affecting confidence). Our best striker is nursing a tight hamstring too. Our midfield is missing a key man, whose presence allows us to rest and rotate some other midfielders. We’ve been unable to buy anyone so are rooting in free transfers and, there’s a reason players are free transfers most of the time. We’re also missing our best ‘eye for a pass’ player to help break down deep lying defences too.

should we still have enough to beat Motherwell at home? Yes. But can we have a tiny bit of perspective?
We have dropped points to mediocre teams that's why questions are being asked
We started the game same as last season then dropped off them

Mainly wide, cross & repeat. To some of the smallest strikers in the league.

We have no one running in behind either like Arfield used to offer.

Not sure, HH. I couldn't swear to it. I am sure I read on here that Beale on RTV had explained the change and the reasoning behind it. I haven't seen any video like that but I don't have the full membership on RTV so haven't seen them all. However, I have put it up here a couple of times now and no one has backed me up so it may just be one of those FF things.
Maybe one for Mark to ask at a press conference.
Well, if it is a thing, can we please stop doing it and go back to the other thing that worked quite well last season?

We seem to have reverted back to having front players attack, and the rest sitting further back, so nobody is breaking the lines. Very one dimensional, that can look nice but fundamentally has no cutting edge. The spell when Arfield was breaking from midfield was when we played some of our nicest stuff.

Well, if it is a thing, can we please stop doing it and go back to the other thing that worked quite well last season?
How about this for an off-the-wall suggestion. If the issue is exhaustion why don't we share the workload amongst more of the squad? The manager has to trust his players.
Let's be honest he'd rather not have played Sakala and Wright today, Alfie and Kent would have started. But those two brought verve and dash that's been missing lately. God knows why he took them off.

The midfield is the problem and we need a forward running player that can shoot . The manager must be able to see this
Agree with this. We need someone in the middle who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and has a bit of swagger to press forward and win a match for us.

How about this for an off-the-wall suggestion. If the issue is exhaustion why don't we share the workload amongst more of the squad? The manager has to trust his players.
Let's be honest he'd rather not have played Sakala and Wright today, Alfie and Kent would have started. But those two brought verve and dash that's been missing lately. God knows why he took them off.
Alfie is not scoring because Beale or whoever has turned him from a penalty box striker into a target man to hold the ball up.

Alfie is not scoring because Beale or whoever has turned him from a penalty box striker into a target man to hold the ball up.

When your main goalscorer is being asked to drop deeper to link play with two goal shy number 10’s we wont win many games…

I’d play them slightly wider and let one of the midfield 3 as a secondary striker when the chance appears, leave Alfie to score the goals up top.

Maybe some games we could be playing with 2 through the middle as opposed to our constant 4-3-3 although im not as clued up as much as our management and coaching staff.Probably why im posting on here and not in football at that level.

Back