Our Most Disappointing Signing, Ever?

Flo is definitely up there.

He was decent enough, but for the money spent, we should have had someone capable of winning games on his own.

It was more disappointing in that we could've had far better strikers for that kind of money at the time.

Been a few, Capucho and Emerson were pretty poor.

Libor Sionko was pretty similar from what I remeber.

I thought James Beattie would come up here and bang them in. Never happened at all for him.

Duncan Ferguson, I was so excited when he signed and thought he would be a super star for us but for various reasons it just didn't happen for him.

Guivarch and Rothen stick in my mind. I thought Guivarch would be a gosl machine, and I really excited to see Rothen going by people and making things happen.

Worst signing since the invention of the wheel.

Ally Maxwell.

Guaranteed to cost you a goal in the big games, played a frightening number of times due to Goram’s injuries and I always hated him. Cost us a treble, CL qualification and threw an OF game all on his own,why did we not just sign a decent back up?

Love how raging folk get over the banter years term, just encourages it. I think most use it ironically, that's the point. It's making light of it because if you can't laugh you'd cry.

Anyways, to the thread.

For me it's Barton and Alves, they seemed like two characters who would immediately lift us to where we used to be or help us on our way and with the added context of the years of suffering before them it just compounded the frustration and disappointment when they were utter shite.

As well as my first thoughts (Kuznetsov and Salenko) one who disappointed me was Chris Vinnicombe. He was lauded as a great young talent who was being bought because he was going to be the next big thing. Never really achieved anything with us in the four years he was here.

Bruno Alves.

Was stunned that we'd managed to sign him last summer, thought he would stroll it in Scotland.

Wouldn't say he was shite for us but didn't deliver anything near what I was expecting.

Kuznetsov, he was amongst the top six finest defenders in Europe but he never came back from his injury he got in his second league game v St Johnstone.
Not his fault but he could have helped make us a assive club in Europe I know this gutted Souness at the time

Bruno Alves.

Was stunned that we'd managed to sign him last summer, thought he would stroll it in Scotland.

Wouldn't say he was shite for us but didn't deliver anything near what I was expecting.

You can't blame Alves for 1. The Injuries, 2. Murty's sheer stupidity.

In 2005, I thought Rodriguez and Pierre-Fanfan were excellent signings before they kicked a ball.

Highly experienced French centre backs coming in from a far tougher league.

Porrini is up there. £4m for a Juventus defender, I was certain he'd be a collosus alongside Amo in an all Italian centre back pairing.

Ended up an average but steady right back.

Templeton was probably the most highly rated young player in Scotland since Barry Ferguson and has amounted to absolutely nothing

I'll also throw Miko into the mix.

One of the finest midfielders in Europe when we signed him, ends up playing left side and never goes on to be as influencial as he should have been.

In context Templeton. He was to be the flair, the magician of the lower leagues. A break from the poor football. He was shit or injured.

Flo - For money spent, should have been a guy who tore up our league and scored in OF games and against decent European minnows. Never really turned up in big games after his debut.

Kanchelskis - Was still an alright player for us but was expecting Kanchelskis of Man Utd/Everton. Thought he would be our best player and the best player in the league, instead he was pretty average.

Michael Ball - Big fee, England cap, up and coming young player in the EPL. A bunch of injuries and a guy who just seemed to lob it up the park.

Bert Konterman - Dutch international, regular with Feyenoord, game against Batistuta etc. Got a big bombscare jessie who couldn't defend.
Flo
He was brilliant and turned up all the time. A myth that he was bad.

Most of the main suspects performance wise have been mentioned already.
The one signing that disappointed me more than any other was Mo Johnston. The fact that we signed him was very disappointing for non-footballing reasons.

Massive tin hat on here, but one excellent season out of four from Ronald de Boer was a very poor return from a player with a huge reputation and probably a huge wage to match.

Kuznetsov is a great shout.

A genuine world class defender who we got about 120 minutes out of before his knee gave way and never reached the same level ever again. In the space of a month we lost him and our captain for our central defensive options.

Arteta is another who I felt would boss midfields in Scotland, especially at £5.8m. In reality, he more often than not played like a scared little boy.

Other shouts ? Jonas Thern and Basile Boli. The money we spent on Thern in particular is eye watering.

Jonas Thern is what I came in to post.

I thought he would be a sensational signing for us.

Fran Sandaza, thought he would’ve been decent

Kutnezov wasn’t dissapointing in my eyes, he just got a bad injury, same as Rozenthal

It might not be popular, but apart from a decent free kick in a 5-5 draw, Bruno Alves, supposed to be the big rock defender, shat himself early in an OF game and young Ross McCrorrie came on as a sub, his cards were marked after that day.

The warning signs were there with Boli before he kicked a ball for us. He gave interviews suggesting quite strongly we were his second choice after a deal with Juventus fell through. That may well have been the case, but saying it is hardly the best way to show your commitment to your new club.

There have also been suggestions he was older than claimed at the time.

I also remember Guivarch’s signing press conference. Never before or since have I seen a player look so underwhelmed to be signing for us.

Last edited:
Mladenovic, over a million for a guy who looked like he’d never seen a football before in his life.
Still mind the Rangers News front page - "Enter the Dragan." The article made him out to be some kind of superstar on track to surpass Zidane.

Reactions: VGM
Back