Our Most Disappointing Signing, Ever?

Most of the main suspects performance wise have been mentioned already.
The one signing that disappointed me more than any other was Mo Johnston. The fact that we signed him was very disappointing for non-footballing reasons.
You on the wind up?

Personally I’d say Jerome Rothen was up there.
I loved watching him in that Monaco team, and really thought he’d do well for us when he signed. Sadly wasn’t the case!

Gabriel Amato- thought he would run riot but failed to deliver same as tore Andre flo

He’s been mentioned a few times but for me it’s Joey Barton.

Signed from a promoted Burnley as their player of the year and one of the Championship’s players of the year and he offered up jack shit for us. Really expected so much more from him.

I’m lucky enough not to remember Boli, Prodan etc really haha.

Barton only played 5 games or so for us. His career ended before it started after a major fall out with Warburton.

Which was straight after a humiliation at the piggery, remember this was a game we ended up playing a back three of Tav, Barton and Wallace ! Because of Senderos getting sent off for stupidity then Kiernan shitting the bed and pulling a sickie claiming he was injured.

Maybe we should have binned Warburton then and kept Barton, although did he not get banned for betting shortly after leaving us and that is why he never played much back at Burnley. As he was getting MOTM awards when he went back down there.

Having only skimmed through the thread so far I am not sure if Negri has been mentioned. A blistering start which continued for 6 months then literally nothing for the next 3 years or so.

Another shout for Thern as well, came with a fantastic pedigree but his legs had gone by the time we threw a colossal amount of money at him.

I think he fascination with Negri is more the “what might have been” aspect of it. Both from he perspective of the man himself and our run for the Ten. The bloody squash ball ended both.

Did the full story ever come out ?

Was it a squash ball or Porrini’s fist ?

Barton only played 5 games or so for us. His career ended before it started after a major fall out with Warburton.

Which was straight after a humiliation at the piggery, remember this was a game we ended up playing a back three of Tav, Barton and Wallace ! Because of Senderos getting sent off for stupidity then Kiernan shitting the bed and pulling a sickie claiming he was injured.

Maybe we should have binned Warburton then and kept Barton, although did he not get banned for betting shortly after leaving us and that is why he never played much back at Burnley. As he was getting MOTM awards when he went back down there.

Most of what you’ve said there contributed to my decision haha. He should’ve been so much better with us.

Absolutely not. I was very disappointed that we signed a roman catholic ex-celtic player who openly despised us. No doubts about his footballing ability but I was not happy that we signed him.
Did you not read the thread title?
Most disappointing signing who you had high hopes for but was rubbish?that was the question and you say Mo Johnston...not Beattie,Barton,capucho no you say Johnston.
Idiot

Did you not read the thread title?
Most disappointing signing who you had high hopes for but was rubbish?that was the question and you say Mo Johnston...not Beattie,Barton,capucho no you say Johnston.
Idiot

If you read my actual original post properly, you will see that I started by saying that the obvious ones had already been mentioned by other posters. I went on to explain that the one who disappointed me most for non footballing reasons was Johnston. Idiot.

If you read my actual original post properly, you will see that I started by saying that the obvious ones had already been mentioned by other posters. I went on to explain that the one who disappointed me most for non footballing reasons was Johnston. Idiot.
Well that’s not what the op asked.
We are talking a about football reason here.
Stop being so bloody bitter

Big Dunc for me. Terrorised defences before he signed, just never happened at Ibrox. Some of his performances down south he was unplayable. A lot of his time with us he was injured, which turned out to be a taste of things to come.

David Templeton was always outstanding for Hearts against us. Was buzzing when he signed as he'd just scored against Liverpool at Anfield.

Signed for us. Few decent games in the 3rd division and then very little. Then injured so much. Honestly thought he'd be a great player for us.

PRODAN get off his back never put a foot wrong (that any of us seen just jesting) kevin kyle never put a foot in front of another at more than walking pace not jesting

Dalcio? How much did you know of him before he signed to be dissapointed by him?

James Beattie was my first thought when i opened the thread but it's probably been covered
That's a good point. I guess my rage for caixhina is still just burning at the surface enough for me to mention any lady's front bottom he signed.

I think half the people responding here don't know what 'disappointing' means. Dalcio FFS :D

For me I had high hopes for James Beattie and had always liked him as a player, but turned out he was done when he came to us.

Quite surprised by some of the names on here. Wouldn't put thern on there, simply due to that goal against st pats. Also, kanchelskis , simply due to that goal against Dunfermline . Maybe a bit shallow, but shallows my first name.

The ongoing Grezda and Peña debates have me thinking. (Neither are, clearly).

Who’s been our most disappointing signing?

Not the worst, or shittest player we have ever had, but someone we brought in, whom you thought would take the club and league by storm?

I remember thinking Guivarc'h would run riot.

The guy had won the WC. Looked really crap.

Boli? He was seen as a superstar. He wasn’t crap, but he should have strolled it and helped us in Europe.

Let’s be having them.

Wattie didn't help Boli by playing him at RB in a few games

Jerome Rothen

I honestly thought he would run riot with us but he arrived a completely different player to the one I'd seen for Monaco. He was once a lightning quick winger with a cracking left foot, his crossing was very good and he could score goals too but he looked past it and did nothing much after he came to us.

Basil Boli for me, especially coming from that Marseille team that we were so familiar with from a couple of season previous. Have to mention Marco Negri as well for the spectacular fall from grace after a spectacular first half of the season, expected so much and got feck all.

For most of the others mentioned, not much was expected so the disappointment can’t be too high.
O'HALLERON

fucker should never have been signed

Gutted we signed him and he did nothing but prove he was a shite bag while he was at Ibrox

He could only run in straight lines.
Usually looking at the ball at his feet while he was running - the way a wee boy does

Beattie and Jeffers had been borderline tragic for long enough before we signed them. I had no expectations for them and rememebr arguing with folk on here who for some reason thought they would be anything other than woeful.

Mladenovic was a ridiculous disappointment. Had quite a few caps for Serbia, experts raving about him, and I think was our only paid signing that Summer. The guy genuinely had no qualities and looked like he had never played before. He was utterly honking.

I seem to recall, that the only "expert" I saw raving about him was Barry Horne who played against him for Wales.

Oleg Salenko
Nuno Capucho
Russell Latapy

Not the most glamorous of signings but I expected a lot more from all of them than turned out

I have huge frustration over Rozental. He really would have gone on to be a great striker for us and then ultimately at a higher level.

Only a terrible injury cost us and him dear.
Seb for me as well, he was someone i was certain could take us all the way and would be huge for us... turned out only his arse got huge.

Back