Our next penalty kick

GF7

He has the technical ability to be good at penalties. I’d certainly go for Borna and that was before knowing he hit them for Osijek
I think his record for Osijek is shaky to be fair from reading a post on here about it.

RedWhiteBlue

Have to stick with Morelos now, for me.

It's a bit disorganized and unprofessional looking to be chopping and changing the PK taker based seemingly on the whims of the fans.

Tav missed against Feyenoord but bagged a couple against Aberdeen. Misses against Motherwell (after his defensive errors vs Young Boys and Hearts) and suddenly the manager is being asked about penalty takers etc.

So we flip it to Morelos on penalties (not the correct decision in my view but the decision is made so whatever). Morelos takes the most pressurized of high pressure penalties when he is already under severe pressure and misses. So now the fans want him off the penalties too.

It creates a problem. What if we are 0-0 with the tims on the 29th and we get a penalty in the 93rd minute? We flip the PK taker again? Give it to someone else?

Honestly after Motherwell I wish Gerrard had come out and said "Tav is the penalty taker and we will stick with him" and Tav had come out and said "I am taking that responsibility on my shoulders".

Then yesterday Tav gets to top off his excellent performance with a goal from the penalty spot and his redemption arc is complete.

Don't mess about with the penalty taker as it just creates even more needless pressure on top of the already existing huge pressure.

MarkieLoyal

Cant keep messing with this. At an outside chance -Davis.

However more realistic, Tav is captain he needs to take responsibility.

Captains Responsibility - for a long time he was the penalty expert.

MrBrightside

Have to stick with Morelos now, for me.

It's a bit disorganized and unprofessional looking to be chopping and changing the PK taker based seemingly on the whims of the fans.

Tav missed against Feyenoord but bagged a couple against Aberdeen. Misses against Motherwell (after his defensive errors vs Young Boys and Hearts) and suddenly the manager is being asked about penalty takers etc.

So we flip it to Morelos on penalties (not the correct decision in my view but the decision is made so whatever). Morelos takes the most pressurized of high pressure penalties when he is already under severe pressure and misses. So now the fans want him off the penalties too.

It creates a problem. What if we are 0-0 with the tims on the 29th and we get a penalty in the 93rd minute? We flip the PK taker again? Give it to someone else?

Honestly after Motherwell I wish Gerrard had come out and said "Tav is the penalty taker and we will stick with him" and Tav had come out and said "I am taking that responsibility on my shoulders".

Then yesterday Tav gets to top off his excellent performance with a goal from the penalty spot and his redemption arc is complete.

Don't mess about with the penalty taker as it just creates even more needless pressure on top of the already existing huge pressure.
Tav could not continue as penalty taker,he missed our last one 6 weeks ago,his 3rd miss of the season,he was going through a real dip in form with the crowd on his back too.
He was taken off them for his own good.

Morelos is now in possession,if he misses his next one I don’t know who we turn to?

thedisher

If he's on the pitch then the player I'd have most confidence in scoring a penalty would be Defoe. If he's not on the pitch then I'd say Tav or Barisic should be taking them. Alfie just doesn't feel like a natural penalty taker to me

TN8

Always saw Alfie as more of an instinctive finisher than a penalty taker. The ones he misses tend to be the ones he's got time to think about.

If it's not going to be Tav then I think Ryan Jack would get my vote.

Uddy Gers

Barisic has the sweetest foot in the squad. He should be our penalty taker only if he wants it. No point on forcing it on him.

If not him, Kent or Jack.

I’m not convinced by Tavs pens, he’s altered his run up. He takes one step and hits it, I’m a firm believer in a proper 3 step run up.

Valley Bluenose

It's become an issue now after Morelos miss.

Some statistical perspective:

Tav has missed 6 out of 26 penalties.

Defoe has missed 9 out of 29.

Arfield has missed 2 out of 8.

Barisic has missed 2 out of 6.

Davis has missed 2 out of 6.

Morelos has missed 2 out of 5 (after yesterday).

Jack, Kent, Kamara and Aribo have never taken a senior penalty.

The above seems to suggest Tav is our best option, despite recent misses, with Arfield and Defoe the best back-ups. Surprising that whilst I've seen Barisic touted a lot, and Ryan Jack, there have been no mentions of Arfield.

WATP

Penalties are best with players who have complete belief and lots of bottle.

LiviLoyal

It's become an issue now after Morelos miss.

Some statistical perspective:

Tav has missed 6 out of 26 penalties.

Defoe has missed 9 out of 29.

Arfield has missed 2 out of 8.

Barisic has missed 2 out of 6.

Davis has missed 2 out of 6.

Morelos has missed 2 out of 5 (after yesterday).

Jack, Kent, Kamara and Aribo have never taken a senior penalty.

The above seems to suggest Tav is our best option, despite recent misses, with Arfield and Defoe the best back-ups. Surprising that whilst I've seen Barisic touted a lot, and Ryan Jack, there have been no mentions of Arfield.
Jesus. There is some absolutely shocking penalty records in that list. Get Jack on them if he’s confident enough to take one.

ArfieldGer

Tav is the best penalty taker at the club and should remain on them. If you take penalties over a long period of time you will inevitably miss a few.

Messi and Ronaldo have both missed 25 penalties in their respective careers.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Morelos again.
If the ref/ linesman do their job right then it gets retaken .
If it was retaken he’d have no doubt missed the retake too. His bottle went, thats why he didn’t look for the corner as he did when he scored the only penalty he’s previously taken for us.

GF7

A captain, rolls up his sleeves, takes a deep breath and buries an equalizing penalty in a cup final
So Tav should never take another penalty for the club ever again as per your original comment, because Morelos missed?

Gerrard said post match as well that it had been agreed in advance Morelos was on them.

Valley Bluenose

Jesus. There is some absolutely shocking penalty records in that list. Get Jack on them if he’s confident enough to take one.
For some perspective, and a laugh to lighten the mood, a few others:

Messi has missed 26 out of 114.

Ronaldo has missed 22 out of 138.

Harry Kane has missed 7 out of 43.

Jamie Vardy has missed 3 out of 21.

Matt Le Tissier scored an incredible 27 out of 27.

Tav is our best and has missed 6 out of 24 with Defoe missing 9 out of 29.

In the EPL this season 6 out of 34 penalties taken have been missed/saved. With Man Utd (Rashford and Martial) managing to miss two in the same game, a 3-1 victory away to Norwich. I'd say if you were missing 1 in 5 you were doing reasonably well.

LiviLoyal

For some perspective, and a laugh to lighten the mood, a few others:

Messi has missed 26 out of 114.

Ronaldo has missed 22 out of 138.

Harry Kane has missed 7 out of 43.

Jamie Vardy has missed 3 out of 21.

Matt Le Tissier scored an incredible 27 out of 27.

Tav is our best and has missed 6 out of 24 with Defoe missing 9 out of 29.

In the EPL this season 6 out of 34 penalties taken have been missed/saved. With Man Utd (Rashford and Martial) managing to miss two in the same game, a 3-1 victory away to Norwich. I'd say if you were missing 1 in 5 you were doing reasonably well.
Didn’t realise pen stats were that bad in general!

McCoisty

Morelos... you back your player. It was saved, not missed... keeper moved off his line and should have been a retake too.