Our next penalty kick

If he's on the pitch then the player I'd have most confidence in scoring a penalty would be Defoe. If he's not on the pitch then I'd say Tav or Barisic should be taking them. Alfie just doesn't feel like a natural penalty taker to me

Always saw Alfie as more of an instinctive finisher than a penalty taker. The ones he misses tend to be the ones he's got time to think about.

If it's not going to be Tav then I think Ryan Jack would get my vote.

Barisic has the sweetest foot in the squad. He should be our penalty taker only if he wants it. No point on forcing it on him.

If not him, Kent or Jack.

I’m not convinced by Tavs pens, he’s altered his run up. He takes one step and hits it, I’m a firm believer in a proper 3 step run up.

It's become an issue now after Morelos miss.

Some statistical perspective:

Tav has missed 6 out of 26 penalties.

Defoe has missed 9 out of 29.

Arfield has missed 2 out of 8.

Barisic has missed 2 out of 6.

Davis has missed 2 out of 6.

Morelos has missed 2 out of 5 (after yesterday).

Jack, Kent, Kamara and Aribo have never taken a senior penalty.

The above seems to suggest Tav is our best option, despite recent misses, with Arfield and Defoe the best back-ups. Surprising that whilst I've seen Barisic touted a lot, and Ryan Jack, there have been no mentions of Arfield.

Penalties are best with players who have complete belief and lots of bottle.

It's become an issue now after Morelos miss.

Some statistical perspective:

Tav has missed 6 out of 26 penalties.

Defoe has missed 9 out of 29.

Arfield has missed 2 out of 8.

Barisic has missed 2 out of 6.

Davis has missed 2 out of 6.

Morelos has missed 2 out of 5 (after yesterday).

Jack, Kent, Kamara and Aribo have never taken a senior penalty.

The above seems to suggest Tav is our best option, despite recent misses, with Arfield and Defoe the best back-ups. Surprising that whilst I've seen Barisic touted a lot, and Ryan Jack, there have been no mentions of Arfield.
Jesus. There is some absolutely shocking penalty records in that list. Get Jack on them if he’s confident enough to take one.

Tav is the best penalty taker at the club and should remain on them. If you take penalties over a long period of time you will inevitably miss a few.

Messi and Ronaldo have both missed 25 penalties in their respective careers.

Morelos again.
If the ref/ linesman do their job right then it gets retaken .

If it was retaken he’d have no doubt missed the retake too. His bottle went, thats why he didn’t look for the corner as he did when he scored the only penalty he’s previously taken for us.

A captain, rolls up his sleeves, takes a deep breath and buries an equalizing penalty in a cup final
So Tav should never take another penalty for the club ever again as per your original comment, because Morelos missed?

Gerrard said post match as well that it had been agreed in advance Morelos was on them.

Jesus. There is some absolutely shocking penalty records in that list. Get Jack on them if he’s confident enough to take one.

For some perspective, and a laugh to lighten the mood, a few others:

Messi has missed 26 out of 114.

Ronaldo has missed 22 out of 138.

Harry Kane has missed 7 out of 43.

Jamie Vardy has missed 3 out of 21.

Matt Le Tissier scored an incredible 27 out of 27.

Tav is our best and has missed 6 out of 24 with Defoe missing 9 out of 29.

In the EPL this season 6 out of 34 penalties taken have been missed/saved. With Man Utd (Rashford and Martial) managing to miss two in the same game, a 3-1 victory away to Norwich. I'd say if you were missing 1 in 5 you were doing reasonably well.

For some perspective, and a laugh to lighten the mood, a few others:

Messi has missed 26 out of 114.

Ronaldo has missed 22 out of 138.

Harry Kane has missed 7 out of 43.

Jamie Vardy has missed 3 out of 21.

Matt Le Tissier scored an incredible 27 out of 27.

Tav is our best and has missed 6 out of 24 with Defoe missing 9 out of 29.

In the EPL this season 6 out of 34 penalties taken have been missed/saved. With Man Utd (Rashford and Martial) managing to miss two in the same game, a 3-1 victory away to Norwich. I'd say if you were missing 1 in 5 you were doing reasonably well.
Didn’t realise pen stats were that bad in general!

Morelos... you back your player. It was saved, not missed... keeper moved off his line and should have been a retake too.

Stick with Alfie. I'm sure he wasn't given the job lightly, we shouldn't change after one miss however big it was.

Didn’t realise pen stats were that bad in general!

Yeah, it‘s quite surprising that even the ‘greats’ can miss them. :) And the guys I’ve quoted are amongst the best. As I’ve suggested, if you’re scoring 4 out of 5 you’re doing pretty well - and Tav is thereabouts. He’s unfortunately had a small cluster of misses which have seen him go from ‘excellent’ to ‘average’ in terms of stats.

The way jack has has been shooting from distance in recent games gerrard style shows it something theyve been working on so he'd be the one I'd say but have faith in any of the lads to step up and put it away

The Captain should take the ball, ditch his usual run up and absolutely batter the ball home.

Tavernier doesn't hide and he strikes a good ball. Get back on the penalties and lead by example.

Please don't say we are now away to have issues when it comes to penalties. That would be a mental problem.

So Tav should never take another penalty for the club ever again as per your original comment, because Morelos missed?

Gerrard said post match as well that it had been agreed in advance Morelos was on them.

Was it fk agreed in advance. Obviously he's going to say that. He shat it.

If Borna can find the top corner with a 25 yard free kick, he can score from 12 yards.

Unlike the precision of Taverniers right foot that has scored 95% of the penalties taken?

:rolleyes:

Tav has missed 6 of 26 penalties he’s taken. It’s a fairly good record but it’s not 95% mate.

As for Borna, he’s taken 6 penalties - mostly in 2017 - and missed 2 of them. Different thing taking a penalty to taking a pop from 25 yards.

Tav is our best penalty taker but has had a rough spell this season.

Penalties are best with players who have complete belief and lots of bottle.
So Kent then? Some set on him for a young man and you'd imagine that with his technique and self confidence would be a natural?

I think our penalty "situation" has become a bigger "thing" than it should have or been allowed too!! Now so much more pressure on and scrutiny of whoever takes our next one!!

If Morelos has been picked as the taker then have to stick with him IMO!! But I think the order of takers should be announced by the club/manager before we get our next one, saves all this shenanigans and confusion!!

Back