Our next run of league games (December).

Gazza 8

Official Ticketer
Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

The above is our league fixtures for the month of December with the mentally challengeds at home directly after St Mirren.

I know the old 'one game at a time' mantra is popular on here but it doesn't do any harm looking at our next block of fixtures.

Usually i'd say that looks like a reasonable set of fixtures but when you factor in we play Standard Liege before Ross County, travel to Poznan before we go to Tannadice and will hopefully have a League Cup quarter final mid December it looks a tricky month on paper with our busy schedule.

This in my opinion will be the first true test of our squad strength as players will need to rotated with 9 games in just over 4 weeks... guys like Bassey, Balogun, Hagi, Itten etc will really need to step up at times.

Right now i'd be delighted to have maintained our 5 point lead (assuming they win both games in hand which I think they will) going into the game v them in January.

How do you see this month going?

The squad and strength in depth this season compared to last is night and day.

I can’t see who will take points from us from that list the form we’re in.

Should be aiming for 18 points and an extended lead going into the home game against that mob

This is why Thursday is actually really important. If we can qualify (or at least make it extremely difficult not to) then we can take Standard & Poznan a little easier than if they're must win games. That would give us more energy and options for the league games.

Truth is though, we need to be negotiating these league fixtures with relative ease, the teams in that run are pretty shit.

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

The above is our league fixtures for the month of December with the mentally challengeds at home directly after St Mirren.

I know the old 'one game at a time' mantra is popular on here but it doesn't do any harm looking at our next block of fixtures.

Usually i'd say that looks like a reasonable set of fixtures but when you factor in we play Standard Liege before Ross County, travel to Poznan before we go to Tannadice and will hopefully have a League Cup quarter final mid December it looks a tricky month on paper with our busy schedule.

This in my opinion will be the first true test of our squad strength as players will need to rotated with 9 games in just over 4 weeks... guys like Bassey, Balogun, Hagi, Itten etc will really need to step up at times.

Right now i'd be delighted to have maintained our 5 point lead (assuming they win both games in hand which I think they will) going into the game v them in January.

Hopefully we’ve all but qualified after tomorrow night so can then rest one or two ahead of these league games

Going purely on current form, and the fact that our squad depth is very strong, you would have to favour a clean sweep of wins - however, it's always worth remembering that football has a knack of throwing up surprises every so often, and there will come a day when we have an off day, or things just don't go our way, so the odd blip is to be expected. We're not going to win every game between now and May.

Hopefully when such a day inevitably comes, we'll be too far in front for it to have any material effect :)

Reactions: o7o
I think tomorrow night is massive. If we win we likely qualify and I know the Europa games bring good money for us if we win but it would allow us to maybe rest a few players in the remaining two games that we wouldn’t usually have the luxury to do.

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

I'd be shitting it if I played for 1 of them.

These away fixtures don't worry me.

Aberdeen, Hibs, Tims & Plastic pitches have been the tricky more difficult ties over the last few years. Hibs at home is the more difficult tie out the lot.

This is why Thursday is actually really important. If we can qualify (or at least make it extremely difficult not to) then we can take Standard & Poznan a little easier than if they're must win games. That would give us more energy and options for the league games.

Truth is though, we need to be negotiating these league fixtures with relative ease, the teams in that run are pretty shit.
I very much doubt the foot will come off the gas with Standard and Poznan if we beat Benfica. There's big money for wins and finishing as group winners. ;)

I very much doubt the foot will come off the gas with Standard and Poznan if we beat Benfica. There's big money for wins and finishing as group winners. ;)

I dunno mate, the league is priority 1...EL qualification is guaranteed more cash already, in purely football terms we'd probably want to have less onus on winning those last two games to have less risk to the fixtures around them.

On paper it looks relatively straightforward. Four of those teams are in the bottom 6 as it stands.

Of course, as always, it's about us. Our attitude has been spot on in the main. Keep that going and we can hopefully continue to get the victories that will put us in a very strong position.

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

St Johnstone and St Mirren away are the 2 that could prove tricky.

Both teams sit deep and are well organised.

I'd still expect us to win them though.

The other games should be fine.

If we somehow managed to win all of those and beat them in January, it would be absolutely phenomenal. Very, very hard right enough.

Every game is one of cup final and we need to win them all.Then we can have a self isolating happy new year

On paper everything looks quite simple.

Between now and when we face the laughing cavaliers at Ibrox, anything can happen.

Hopefully it is all positive results for us.

Next up Benfica, that will do me.

I know we play the same fixtures eventually but why do ours always look harder?
There's 4 away games in there which is also a busy schedule but in January we are away at the sheep, Hivs and Motherwell.

On paper it looks relatively straightforward. Four of those teams are in the bottom 6 as it stands.

Of course, as always, it's about us. Our attitude has been spot on in the main. Keep that going and we can hopefully continue to get the victories that will put us in a very strong position.
It’s funny, the better we are playing, the better our standing in the league, the more our fans on here worry about the also runs.

”Ross County at home, ooh, potential banana skin, bite your hand off for a 99th minute retaken pen to win 1-0“

There is keeping your feet on the ground, and there’s being ridiculous.

I know we play the same fixtures eventually but why do ours always look harder?
There's 4 away games in there which is also a busy schedule but in January we are away at the sheep, Hivs and Motherwell.

Swings and roundabouts mate.

If you look at our fixtures or, indeed, theirs then there will always be games where you anticipate points could be dropped by either side.

Seldom works out how you anticipate and more often than not points are, in fact, dropped when you least expect it.

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

21 points straight up,league put to bed :))

As far as the league is concerned our matches in January will give us a better idea where we stand.

Two home games (one v tramps) and three away (sheep, Hibs & Motherwell)

LC semi and a SC tie to fit in too but no Europe distraction tho' until Feb.

Once again 1st reply nails it

Cannot stress enough we have to play one league game at a time and we have LC and EL as well during this period so it’s important we just keep focused on a game per game basis

I think in the past we have got distracted ans we need to avoid that again

It will take a mammoth effort from any team in our league to beat us.

When we're firing on all cylinders there's only one outcome and we cannot relent at all.

The cream always rises to the top and that's what we're seeing unfolding this season with us.

Hopefully we have won the group by the time the poznan game comes along and I know we get money for the win etc

but i would have no hesitation in leaving key players at home

wont happen obviously but it’s what I would do

Dundee United could be a difficult one, games against them have been difficult in the past and they gave Celtic a run for there money.

1 game at a time bears!

It's a tall ask but if we win all the games listed above and beat them at Ibrox then the league will be ours IMO.

Massive ask to extend our winning run to that many games especially considering we have tough European games too but if we can win our next 7 league games then 55 will be within touching distance.

St Johnstone away could be tricky. They're unbeaten for a whole just now I think, you would think hibs too but at Ibrox I don't think anyone in this league can beat us. The way we're going, I reckon we can get max points from these.

Once again 1st reply nails it

Cannot stress enough we have to play one league game at a time and we have LC and EL as well during this period so it’s important we just keep focused on a game per game basis

I think in the past we have got distracted ans we need to avoid that again
Can you name me one team who have decided to play 2 games at the same time and have been caught out by it?

It’s funny, the better we are playing, the better our standing in the league, the more our fans on here worry about the also runs.

”Ross County at home, ooh, potential banana skin, bite your hand off for a 99th minute retaken pen to win 1-0“

There is keeping your feet on the ground, and there’s being ridiculous.
I see your point - but my take is what fans have suffered for a decade and now the prize is within sight.

Loyal supporters handing over their hard earned for season tickets playing the likes of Brechin or Cowdenbeath.

We have one hand on the trophy if you ask me, however until firmly in our grasp, take it one step at a time.

We all just want the title so badly that there is a fear of any slip up, even though most can't see the likes of County getting anything off a high flying Rangers.

Would be great to beat Benfica tomorrow and guarantee progress to knock outs so changes can be made for last 2 europa league games.

we’ve certainly got the squad depth this year anyway

18/18 in December. I'm always a one game at a time kinda guy. But they way we're playing right now, Who's going to stop us ?

St. Johnstone away will probably be our hardest game. They are unbeaten since they lost to Celtic 9 games ago. They conceded 2 goals in 90 plus minutes against them to lose 2-0. A midweek game in the middle of winter (Dec23rd)

This is going to be a harder game than it appears on paper. We should still win but will be a hard game. Scumdee away and Hibs could be hardish games but on current form we shouldn't be worried.

At the start of the season i really couldn't have imagined how well we would have been doing both in the league and in Europe. Sitting top of both, goals scored, clean sheets and minimal goals conceded. So far it's exceeded my expectations and we are now able to look at a squad brimming with talent and depth. The football we have been playing recently has been outstanding, absolutely outstanding and unless there is a drop I wouldn't imagine those fixtures to cause any concern. It's all on us and I agree one game at a time. Keep the run going and give teams the fear when we meet them. The thought of winning the next 7/8 games gives me goosebumps that remind me just to calm down a little. I wish it was next year already ffs!

IF we drop points there is no point panicking and turning up at the car park demanding sackings, I mean that’s just embarrassing.

Back