Our next run of league games (December).

These teams on the upcoming fixture list games against Rangers is there cup final ,now we are playing and treating every game as a cup final no matter the opposition.

I just like to take the one game at a time. On any off day we could slip up against any of those teams but on paper we should be hammering them.

the difference this season though is we have so much quality in the squad that we are replacing quality with quality and have players on the bench capable of changing a game. Last season we were depending on the likes of Lee hodson coming off the bench to do something.

I think tomorrow night is massive. If we win we likely qualify and I know the Europa games bring good money for us if we win but it would allow us to maybe rest a few players in the remaining two games that we wouldn’t usually have the luxury to do.
I don't think Gerrard would the money for wins is important but also tbh topping the group is important to if want to progress further

This is why Thursday is actually really important. If we can qualify (or at least make it extremely difficult not to) then we can take Standard & Poznan a little easier than if they're must win games. That would give us more energy and options for the league games.

Truth is though, we need to be negotiating these league fixtures with relative ease, the teams in that run are pretty shit.
If we qualify on Thursday it should be the B team for at least the Poznan away game. League has to be the priority.

This is why Thursday is actually really important. If we can qualify (or at least make it extremely difficult not to) then we can take Standard & Poznan a little easier than if they're must win games. That would give us more energy and options for the league games.

Truth is though, we need to be negotiating these league fixtures with relative ease, the teams in that run are pretty shit.
Do we qualify with a win against Benfica?

I recon our defensive record will be in the minds of our opponents. As will be the pumpings handed out in the last 2 league games, games in which there should be more goals. I honestly think some teams will be shitting it, waiting to be spanked, and spanked they shall be.

Win them all then beat Celtic on the 2nd Jan, leagues won. :))
In a serious note, there's a couple of potential banana skins in there, especially if we are still battling for wins in Europe. The mentally challengeds have Kilmarnock and Livi in December too ... I think

Last edited:
Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

The above is our league fixtures for the month of December with the mentally challengeds at home directly after St Mirren.

I know the old 'one game at a time' mantra is popular on here but it doesn't do any harm looking at our next block of fixtures.

Usually i'd say that looks like a reasonable set of fixtures but when you factor in we play Standard Liege before Ross County, travel to Poznan before we go to Tannadice and will hopefully have a League Cup quarter final mid December it looks a tricky month on paper with our busy schedule.

This in my opinion will be the first true test of our squad strength as players will need to rotated with 9 games in just over 4 weeks... guys like Bassey, Balogun, Hagi, Itten etc will really need to step up at times.

Right now i'd be delighted to have maintained our 5 point lead (assuming they win both games in hand which I think they will) going into the game v them in January.

How do you see this month going?
One game at a time, but win tomorrow and we can play a weakened team in Europa knowing we have qualified.

Read in Alex Ferguson's book that he had his team picked for specific games some weeks in advance. Some of his ex-players confirmed this, saying they were told they weren't playing in the next 2 games, but would be starting the game after that etc. Obviously circumstances can force a change in thought and I fully agree with the 'one game at a time' mantra, but with the number of games coming up, I'm sure the manager and coaching staff are plotting several games ahead with regard to team selection and squad rotation.

How many games on the bounce have we won in the league now? 5? 6? We’re looking at winning another 6 before the OF game so potentially an 11/12 game winning run. Would be a monumental effort.

I'm looking in particular at that Dundee Utd game as being a potential draw

mentally challengeds have St Johnstone (home), Killie (home), Hearts (home), Ross County (home), Hamilton (away) and Dundee United (home). I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them win all of those so if we drop any points in our fixtures it could potentially give them the chance to go into the match at Ibrox knowing that a win would see them effectively level on points (assuming games in hand are won, which is a big assumption).

Really favourable fixtures for them, some difficult ones for us, particularly noting that our first match after we play the mentally challengeds is Aberdeen away.

It is for this very reason that the gaffer is trying to keep expectations managed, things can flip really really quickly within a matter of two or three matches, which makes the scum support's campaign to get TLB out the door all the more laughable.

Massive test coming up.

How many games on the bounce have we won in the league now? 5? 6? We’re looking at winning another 6 before the OF game so potentially an 11/12 game winning run. Would be a monumental effort.
It certainly would be. I also think it would be a league winning effort that's how close we are. If we won all of those and its a big if I believe we'll stretch our lead a the table before playing them again.
With 3 EL and a LC thrown in too its a big big ask. One game at a time

Context for those saying St Johnstone is a potentially tough game, they've won 4, FOUR, league games out of 15 this season and are 7th.

They have lost essentially half their league game. 7 out of 15. They lost to Celtic of course. Livi. Ross County at home. Motherwell, Hibs, Aberdeen. And of course 3-0 at Ibrox.

They have only beaten Kilmarnock twice (Killie had a red card) Hamilton, St Mirren. All were a win by 1 goal except Hamilton where they scored 5 but conceded 3.

They have scored 13 goals in 15 games. Less than a goal a game!

We really shouldn't be talking about St Johnstone as a difficult game.

Yes, we might drop points. And all you who cry "potential banana skin" have to be right eventually. Virtually no team in the history of football completes a league season with a 100% record. We did it once many moons ago.

But if we drop points at St Johnstone, its not because they are some great challenger, its because we didn't meet out standards on a given day.

When we do drop points, and we will, it won't be because fans on a forum "jinxed us". And each time we win, its not because all the horoscope readers are taking it one game at a time.

We should win all 6 leading in to the next Old firm. We might not. Likelihood is somewhere along the line we'll drop a poor performance in, get some bad luck or another dodgy ref decision that costs us for a change in the league.

The poster who says it will probably be somewhere we don't expect is most likely right. Look at the Hamilton home game at the start of the year. Hamilton weren't a banana skin. We just let ourselves down.

We shouldn't be picking out St Johnstone as a tough game though. Thats a joke when you really look at the facts. They've not won 11 of their 15 league games and we're the best team in the league.

Last edited:
I think tomorrow night is massive. If we win we likely qualify and I know the Europa games bring good money for us if we win but it would allow us to maybe rest a few players in the remaining two games that we wouldn’t usually have the luxury to do.
I can appreciate why you would want us to relax in the EL if we have already qualified, however co-efficient points are so important and could facilitate a much easier route towards CL qualification in the future. We need to take our matches one at a time and try to win all of them with equal commitment.
The key to doing so will be effective utilisation of the squad, and our squad is finally good enough to do this, assuming we don't have a catastrophe with injuries.

Some potential banana skins away from home. Get through tomorrow night if possible and rest players for remaining 2 Europa games.

If we are already qualified I wouldn't even risk taking the likes of Tavernier, Goldson, Barisic, Kent ect for the Poznan game. Leave them at home.

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

The above is our league fixtures for the month of December with the mentally challengeds at home directly after St Mirren.

I know the old 'one game at a time' mantra is popular on here but it doesn't do any harm looking at our next block of fixtures.

Usually i'd say that looks like a reasonable set of fixtures but when you factor in we play Standard Liege before Ross County, travel to Poznan before we go to Tannadice and will hopefully have a League Cup quarter final mid December it looks a tricky month on paper with our busy schedule.

This in my opinion will be the first true test of our squad strength as players will need to rotated with 9 games in just over 4 weeks... guys like Bassey, Balogun, Hagi, Itten etc will really need to step up at times.

Right now i'd be delighted to have maintained our 5 point lead (assuming they win both games in hand which I think they will) going into the game v them in January.

We should have a 14pt lead going into the game against them if we both win out games between then and now.

Win those and beat the tims and 55 is in the bag, no chance the tims can come back from that

And that’s before factoring in any potential points they could drop

And not I’m not getting carried away!!

I’m not sure if I agree with that. Earlier this season we had the following six futures

Dundee United (H)
Hibs (A)
Motherwell (A)
Ross County (H)
Celtic (A)
Livingston (H)

with European games in between
Those fixtures were played over 6 weeks with some of our players resting while not away on international duty.

We have 9 games condensed into just over 4 weeks in December.

We need to take it easy and one game at a time is correct. HOWEVER, if we win that run - and it is definitely winnable - we will be in a great place. Win the OF after that and it’s a genuine mountain for them. But yes, one game at a time has to be the way, as we saw last year.

You would think there is a draw in there somewhere

But to be honest I'm struggling to find it

Ross County (away) 0-2
Dundee Utd (away) 1-2
Motherwell (home) 2-0
St Johnston (away) 0-1
Hibs (home) 2-1
St Mirren (away) 0-2

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

Ah good to see the goalposts still being shifted. I was worried we were all being positive.

I'd like to go into our home game 5 points ahead. That means a win and it's 8 going into January. Keep playing as we are, we have absolutely nothing to fear.

Ah good to see the goalposts still being shifted. I was worried we were all being positive.
In no way was that a dig at the squad or the progress we've made this season.

I was merely pointing out that we're about to play 9 games in just over 4 weeks and players who have been on the fringes of the first team will have to play their part at some point in what looks like a tough month of games.

I'm not sure how that can be argued?

In no way was that a dig at the squad or the progress we've made this season.

I was merely pointing out that we're about to play 9 games in just over 4 weeks and players who have been on the fringes of the first team will have to play their part at some point in what looks like a tough month of games.

I'm not sure how that can be argued?
Like McLaughlin, Barker, Bassey, Jones, Balogun/Helander depending on your persuasion, Defoe and Itten already have in games this season? Most of them have already played their part. If they do it in the next 4 weeks, it's not the start of it it's a continuation.

Ross County (away)
Dundee Utd (away)
Motherwell (home)
St Johnston (away)
Hibs (home)
St Mirren (away)

If we were going Dundee Hibs for the first time in his knows how long then it would easily be our toughest game and for a number of reasons.

They and their fans would be right up for it making it the 10% harder.

We would have our support arguing over a boycott and almost turn it into a side show.

Remove the 2 factors and it’s no different than going to Hamilton, St Mirren or Motherwell away IMO.

The European games only become an issue if we lose someone to injury IMO, we have already a lot injuries and dealt with it well this season so in terms of block review! I would say at most 2 points would be dropped.

Like McLaughlin, Barker, Bassey, Jones, Balogun/Helander depending on your persuasion, Defoe and Itten already have in games this season? Most of them have already played their part. If they do it in the next 4 weeks, it's not the start of it it's a continuation.

It's common knowledge to most football supporters that the Xmas/New Year period is the busiest of the season with fixtures coming thick and fast therefore clubs like ourselves will need to rely heavily on our fringe players at times.. more so than previous months.

A couple of examples being Bassey & Itten.. both done well in the limited game time they've had this season but starting games is different from coming on the last half an hour when the games out of sight which the majority of both appearances have been.

It's not being negative, it's simply stating fact.

Think we will win every game, when hibs come to Glasgow to play either of the old firm they don’t tend to do to well, and that would be the only difficult game imo. Dundee Utd away is not a tough game like it once was. The rest will be pretty comfortable as well, none will pose any real challenge. The fact it’s all grass pitches as well will make it a hell of a lot easier

Back