Our ongoing pitch issues

Was it not relaid during spell the league got called for Covid?
The top layer got relaid but that’s not deemed to be a new pitch as the underlying issues are still present.

I’m sure I read we want to install a hybrid pitch which can help with some of the issues we have.

That’s true. Stephen Millar posted highlights from last years Boxing Day game and the pitch is far worse.

That doesn’t take away from the issues this year.
What issues this year? Apart from that bobble with Goldson, I can’t think of any other problems the pitch has caused?

Rains about twice as much in Glasgow as it does anywhere south or east of Manchester. We've had two really wet winters. It's a tough gig keeping the pitch in order.

In recent times top golf courses are installing sub air systems to greens to control moisture levels and keep air flowing around the roots. Wonder if that could be used at football grounds. The weather, our high stands are the main reasons. I don't think it's any lack of due care or attention on the ground staffs oart. I am sure we have top people working on it.

Everytime this comes up, I post the same stuff. Check my post history and you'll all see why the pitch goes the way it currently is.

It won't get better until it's addressed.
I was in Ibrox for my lunch on Wednesday and there was some kind of cover on it and the lamps were on. What’s the story with the covers H?

Last edited:
I see plenty of pitches from around the UK with pitches nowhere near as bad as ours.

In fact I even caught a glimpse of Aberdeen's today on SSN and it looked far better

Did you see the pitch when we played in Liège?

Glasgow on average gets 46 inches annual rainfall, it has been way higher this year.

Aberdeen on average gets 29 inches annual rainfall

Aberdeen also gets around 200 hours more daylight annually.

We have also played more games this season on ours, some in horrendous conditions with the opposition also training on ours the day before all European games apart from one.

The construction of our stadium with high stands means daylight is limited at the best of times and we have a limited even airflow.

There is not a grass pitch in Scotland that's in good nick at the moment. As other posters have said the weather here and the climate in general will make it hard to have a great pitch all year round.

Haven't read every post so this might have been covered but I thought the pitch issue was because it is barely above the water table and any periods of heavy rain are going to cause problems.The only solution would be to raise the pitch.

There is not a grass pitch in Scotland that's in good nick at the moment. As other posters have said the weather here and the climate in general will make it hard to have a great pitch all year round.
Motherwell’s pitch is in excellent condition

Hope it doesnt turn it the way it did last season, theres no doubt in my mind that was a factor on our form

For those watching the Liverpool game and wondering why the pitch looks so good. Invested heavily a few years back

Last edited:
Is hybrid not due to come in this summer? Now we will hopefully be making more money by selling assets and hopefully after this season without the pressure of 55 and that lots tainted 10. The whole club will be improved including the pitch when we accept some of the money from the future sale of players won’t all go directly into the playing staff some will go on issues like the pitch . Next summer if we win the league or even if we don’t is massive for getting the first proper big sale

They have a massive calcium problem caused by high sulpher levels.

They act as grow sheets, the pitch was heavily seeded a few weeks back. They also help keep the rain off but you'll see that it causes the edges of the pitch to become water logged.

Covers aren't used for rain protection but it's an added benefit.

What’s the best pitch in Scotland?

I thought the water-course issue was pretty well established as the reason we couldnt lower the pitch?
Maybe 20+ years ago but the technology is there.

new hybrid pitch laid and lowered over next couple of years i reckon.

No it wasnt. Don't confuse a re laid pitch with a surface renewal. Been out the groundsmans game for a while but it wasn't relaid. Also nobody could answer (exception of @HumpZ )why we can't re lay the full lot for the last few seasons.
Sorry for using the wrong terminology but not being a groundsman didn’t know better . However am I correct in thinking the pitch / grass was removed and replaced ?

Tims are raging about their pitch
Ibrox is generally thought to be the darkest pitch in the uk

Its bad but not that bad

Sorry for using the wrong terminology but not being a groundsman didn’t know better . However am I correct in thinking the pitch / grass was removed and replaced ?
Skimmed, top layers. Nothing more than that so anything below this would continue with any existing problems not taking into account shite weather and the existing micro climate issue. Our stadium looks good but it isn't conducive to growing the grass too well. As I've said, I've been out the game a while so don't have any knowledge on sun/heat lamps

The pitch doesn't look very pretty just now but there's a difference between some bare areas and a bad pitch. It isn't ideal but the weather over the last 18 months has been particularly wet. I also think there has been a confusion between the edges and tracks being wet and this also being the pitch itself. It's a soak away on a camber, it's doing what it's supposed to do.

For those watching the Liverpool game and wondering why the pitch looks so good. Invested heavily a few years back

I was wondering if this could be an option, but likely to be horrifically expensive.

A lot of golf courses in the USA have this for the greens, and a small number here which is what made me think of it.

I think we struggle in winter, with the style we play. The pitches are heavier and we just don't have the zip in our play. In the early months of the season we run riot but it becomes a bit of a slog in winter.

get the motherwell groundsman, their pitch always look good, the weather we play football in, in this country is brutal, wonder if it's feasible to get a retractable roof over Ibrox making it an indoors statium when the weather is really bad, one can dream I guess.
Motherwell’s pitch is in excellent condition

What a difference a week makes, thought the colour had gone on my tv.

Their pitch is a shambles.

At the moment I’d say one of the major obstacles to us winning our home games is this pitch. It was atrocious yesterday and in my opinion its clearly having an effect on our passing play both mentally and in practice.

It’s very bobbly all over and seems to tear up very easily at the moment. I watch sport scene last night and I didn’t see a pitch as hard to play passing football on as our was.

We must spend proper money on it in the summer and fix the underlying problems which have been highlighted regarding replacing the lower layers and not just the pitch itself.

At the moment I’d say one of the major obstacles to us winning our home games is this pitch. It was atrocious yesterday and in my opinion its clearly having an effect on our passing play both mentally and in practice.

It’s very bobbly all over and seems to tear up very easily at the moment. I watch sport scene last night and I didn’t see a pitch as hard to play passing football on as our was.

We must spend proper money on it in the summer and fix the underlying problems which have been highlighted regarding replacing the lower layers and not just the pitch itself.
There was a point in the first half Kamara turned a player then went to dribble with it and it bounced up off his shin, exact same happened with Goldson against Hibs I'm sure.

It's absolutely awful and embarrassing that our pitch is so bad.

The Board have simply not invested in it when they should have done. They have ignored the importance of it.

A playing surface should be one of the top priorities at a football club. It is pivotal to how we play.

Talking about it during the game with a few hibs supporting mates who weren’t too impressed with their own pitch during the week

watched highlights and looked like a few pitches were struggling
Agree but I don’t understand why after the match the pitch was being watered by the ground sprinklers?

It's odd, I don't know if it's my memory playing tricks but during Walters second spell I thought our pitch always looked in decent condition through the season.

Couldn’t believe over Petrovs shoulder after the game the sprinklers are on full tilt on a pitch that looks like a bog already in places

The pitch isn’t great and I think it’s having an effect on our play but we aren’t alone. Saw a few of that lot a couple of weeks back greeting about the state of their pitch and blaming their bad form on it.

Tough conditions for the groundsman with the sunlight and rainfall us Covid restrictions.

With only 1 game on it between now and 03/02 then hopefully it'll give them a chance to work their magic.

Back