"our problems"

We've won the league with a win percentage that's less than 60% 3 times in most of our lifetime. Throughout the 9IAR run, it was around 63% overall and that's actually increased over the past 30 years. We win on average 70% of our games in a league winning season and that's where we're at just now. I don't think that you'll find any supporting evidence for the number of goals being a factor in league wins either and it's very, very rarely a factor in deciding the league overall. In short, it's a nice soundbite but I don't think it has any basis in reality. A 1-0 win like yesterday is just as important as a 5-0 win, as much as I know we all prefer it when the opposition doesn't put up a fight.
Won’t somebody think of the goal difference?!

Celtic beat Hamilton or St Mirren or Livi 6 nil or something. So we need to….. I dunno. 3 points is 3 points. And Celtic didn’t get 3 points today. Hibs did though.

We've won the league with a win percentage that's less than 60% 3 times in most of our lifetime. Throughout the 9IAR run, it was around 63% overall and that's actually increased over the past 30 years. We win on average 70% of our games in a league winning season and that's where we're at just now. I don't think that you'll find any supporting evidence for the number of goals being a factor in league wins either and it's very, very rarely a factor in deciding the league overall. In short, it's a nice soundbite but I don't think it has any basis in reality. A 1-0 win like yesterday is just as important as a 5-0 win, as much as I know we all prefer it when the opposition doesn't put up a fight.
If you’re not concerned by the fact this team really haven’t turned in a dominant, assuring performance by nearly October then I don’t know what else to say to you.

This teams capable of great things I just really, really don’t think we’ve hit anywhere near top gear yet.

We are not exactly convincing though. Glad we are winning ugly but we seem so fragile.

St Johnstone - long ball over the top, Balogun & Helander flapping, goal.
Motherwell - long ball over the top, Watt rounds the keeper and Goldson got back just in time.
Dundee - long ball over the top, Goldson flapping, concede a penalty.

We shouldn't be getting done by a route one ball up the park.

If you’re not concerned by the fact this team really haven’t turned in a dominant, assuring performance by nearly October then I don’t know what else to say to you.

This teams capable of great things I just really, really don’t think we’ve hit anywhere near top gear yet.
I take great confidence in our win rate despite the performances being noticeably average at times. That's the clearest indicator of how much better we are than other sides - as much as I enjoy the wild, emotive reactions on here if we aren't 3-0 up inside 20 minutes.

The problem with ignoring the pish poor performances is that they eventually catch up with you.

I thought we were pretty ordinary against Livvy in the first game of the season but conversations afterwards focused on the fact that we'd scored three goals and didn't concede. We lost our next three games and crashed out of Europe.

I'd go as far as to say that having us play as poorly as we have and still be top of the league is a massive indictment of the quality of Scottish football. We've been shite this season and it's still been enough to see us top of the league.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing, but our REALLY tough games are all in 5-week spell over December and into January (Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts - all away)

Can look at that two ways in that surely we've clicked back into form by then and well settled into the season, or that halfway point in the season if injuries, suspensions etc take it's toll it could be a real make-or-break part of the season for us.

Looking at the fixtures at the start of the season, I expected us to start the season on fire racking up all the wins in anticipation for that period but now I don't know what to think.
I think the league will be finished by December, just my opinion, but we will beat these teams while they cut each other up. Skoosh case.

The problem with ignoring the pish poor performances is that they eventually catch up with you.

I thought we were pretty ordinary against Livvy in the first game of the season but conversations afterwards focused on the fact that we'd scored three goals and didn't concede. We lost our next three games and crashed out of Europe.

I'd go as far as to say that having us play as poorly as we have and still be top of the league is a massive indictment of the quality of Scottish football. We've been shite this season and it's still been enough to see us top of the league.
What a thoroughly depressing thought m8. Thanks for sharing.

It’s possible for two things to be true at the same time.

It’s possible for us to be comfortably top of the league despite not playing anywhere near our best.

It’s also possible to have worries about the standard of our performances.

You don’t have to be a “happy clapper” pretending that everything is going well and you don’t have to be all doom and gloom pretending everything is shocking.

It’s possible to criticise current performances whilst also viewing them in a wider context and not going overboard.
Too level-headed for on here, can't see it catching on.

I take great confidence in our win rate despite the performances being noticeably average at times. That's the clearest indicator of how much better we are than other sides - as much as I enjoy the wild, emotive reactions on here if we aren't 3-0 up inside 20 minutes.
How's our win rate in Europe?

I think what our current performances show is there’s a need to freshen things up and start to sell some players and use the money to reinvest in first team players .
It should have happened in the close season but did we actually have any concrete bids for any of our star players?

Lol.
I've forgotten more about Rangers than you know.

No you haven't you can't even remember when teams bid for our players, you had to be reminded and told.

:)

We absolutely have a few problems, anyone denying that has their eyes painted on.

This league should have been wrapped up already. I know that sounds ridiculous in September, but the thought of this threadbare Celtic team trying to operate when 11 points behind us with pressure increasing on them would have been hilarious - we’d have won it by 30/40 points.

No you haven't you can't even remember when teams bid for our players, you had to be reminded and told.

:)
I never claimed to be perfect...lol.
Just a little more knowledgable than you.

"major problems" according to some warmer post match on Saturday. It's like they thrive on being dramatic. They'll moan their way all through this season as we move closer to the title and won't let themselves enjoy it - just like last season they "kept their powder dry" whilst the rest of us lapped it up.

I've always got the impression that a lot of these guys do not enjoy being football fans. They just use it as a way to vent.

How's our win rate in Europe?
We’re still exceeding my expectations in Europe, to be honest.

Qualified from our European group last season in 1st place, conceding the least amount of goals in our group.

And qualified in 2nd place the year before, conceding the least amount of goals in our group.

And on both occasions, our group was very decent (we lost 1 group game out of 12).

Hopefully, we keep these stats up this year. And gain direct entry in to the CL, next year.

Very impressive from us.

What's all this chat around Hibs or Hearts being our closest challengers this year? Clearly nonsense. Regardless of how poor they are, over the course of 38 games, this Celtic side will comfortably finish above both.

Neither Edinburgh side have the quality or depth to maintain any sort of consistency over a season.

Qualified from our European group last season in 1st place, conceding the least amount of goals in our group.

And qualified in 2nd place the year before, conceding the least amount of goals in our group.

And on both occasions, our group was very decent (we lost 1 group game out of 12).

Hopefully, we keep these stats up this year. And gain direct entry in to the CL, next year.

Very impressive from us.
Up until this season, I agree with you. We have been impressive both at home and particularly away in Europe. We have restored some pride on that front. We've played some excellent stuff against very decent opposition.

However, I don't see how anyone can have been impressed with our showings either domestically or in Europe this current campaign.

Europe, played 5, won 1, drew 1 and lost 3 and we've played one good side.

I think my concerns are more than justified.

Up until this season, I agree with you. We have been impressive both at home and particularly away in Europe. We have restored some pride on that front. We've played some excellent stuff against very decent opposition.

However, I don't see how anyone can have been impressed with our showings either domestically or in Europe this current campaign.

Europe, played 5, won 1, drew 1 and lost 3 and we've played one good side.

I think my concerns are more than justified.
Each to their own, mate.

I prefer my mind-set.

Very impressive from us.

Previous seasons are irrelevant now.

This season we've been rank rotten in Europe.

Previous seasons are irrelevant now.

This season we've been rank rotten in Europe.
I am (extremely) content where we are as a club, both domestically and in Europe.

Could our form be better? Sure. Am I (overly) concerned? No.

We’ll be just fine.

Back