Our season ticket holders - why do so many not take the euro option?

Our RSC has 60 members, only 3 don't go to Euro games, 2 didn't take the option on CCCS this season, and 1 member works in London but buys his tickets anyway which I usually offload for him. Having said that, we are only a half hour bus trip from Ibrox, so people coming home from work can still make it easily.

I'm with papa smurf on this, find it weird. European games are the highlights of the season, I'd rather miss half the dross domestically coming and trying to kick us off the park and referees turning a blind eye to it

Lot of different reasons for all I would say. That was my first euro game since Legia, due to work. Off all week though, couldn't have picked a better game to make. Also had my mate with me who doesn't really have a team and he was bowled over by Ibrox tonight, couldn't be prouder.

Unfortunately I hardly get down anymore but when I had my ST I would need to book the day off to get to a euro game. So far that would be 8 days booked off already, many people up this way would also book the next day off also since you don't get back up the road until about 1 half 1 and that's if you are driving, later if on a supporters bus.

So with 16 days booked off and many will do a few euro away trips also the holidays soon dry up, many different reasons why some bears can't use their ST for games.

Just a plain daft OP.

Our support come from far and wide.

A Thusday night does not suit then.

A pishing cold Thursday really does not suit them.

Does the OP think all our support come from Govan, KP and Cardonald?

A good few thousand will be north of Perth.

Aberdeen bears for example; it’s a half day for a lot, as the bus leaves at 2pm.

Be a similar number from NI.

A lot, simply another £200 a season that they cannot afford to part with.

Following Rangers is mental money. Especially when you build in travel, food and drink.

It’s not that simple surely? Maybe a small percentage. But, at least from what I can see, it’s a massive number.

Season tickets are long since paid. Is it simply the cost?
Maybe like me they get up at silly o’clock to get to work :)
Our bus would get me back to Aberdeen for 1am or later depending on traffic
I get up at 4.40
20 years ago easy
Now - tV loyal wins it
Bounced off the settee st 2 and 3 so maybe I’m not that old

People work shifts, come from all over the UK, don't have a bottomless pit of money etc etc it's always been the same and always will be

This round is a bit different as there has been a break since Septemberish but can understand finance being a big reason.

With all the qualifiers, league cup, season ticket payments it seems like couldn’t log into my bank without Rangers having deducted something from July-Sept.

Work shifts so for that reason I can’t do the package either.Had to settle for watching the game in work last night.

Its two days off work for NI bears. Boat, if you make it, gets you in for 3am then travel onwards home.

Money ,demographics and shift working,

Really hard for people getting to Ibrox midweek.

Im only in EK but with shift worrking its hard for me to get to these games never mind people who actually have to travel to Ibrox.

I do shift work so don’t sign up to any of the home CCCS schemes. I would just be signing up blind to games I have no idea of the opposition, date of the fixtures or whether I could attend. I miss out on enough league games due to my shift pattern.
There will be guys that can’t afford it too, plain and simple. Factor in the travelling support from far up North, people travelling from England and Northern Ireland etc and you soon have a large chunk of the support.

Money and really young kids is my reason. It being on TV helps but if it wasn't I'd probably try and get there.

Me and the wife both go, a combination of needing a baby sitter for our 2 year old, teenager who does cheer leading on a Wednesday night and working shifts means midweek games are difficult for us. Im grateful to get on a saturday with babysitters etc so that will do until the wee chap can come. Have watched most European games in the house this season

Money / Work / Timing for me. It’s the cost of the match tickets + train through at peak time from Edinburgh and then not getting back home until 12.30-1am on a school night to be up at 5am.
This for me home last night 12.30 up at 6 this morning autopilot mode at work this morning but it was worth it. personally I don't take the euro option for a number of reasons but mostly getting away form work on time to catch the bus or if going by train the connections on the return journey don't work having said that I've not missed a European home game the past two seasons I but can't guarantee I always can make it

I usually take the euro game option but afrer having a son last year i did agree that i wouldnt go to as many games and with having to look after my pennies a bit better the european games were given a miss.

As others have said , it is mostly money and some of it may be psychological. You are just about to pay out hundreds for a season ticket and think 'You know what. I will cut that annual cost down a bit by not selecting automatic registration for the Euro matches'.

I generally arrive quite early and take a wander around the stadium.

Without fail on a euro night the number of people with paper tickets is a bit weird. So many folk round me are new. So many folk walking around asking for directions is quite apparent.

It must be that a significant percentage of the season ticket holders don’t bother with euro games. Why?

New baby and cant afford extra games.

Long and short of it.

Thousands of our fans travel great distances every other Saturday to watch us. I live in Glasgow and I doff my cap to these men women and boys who do so it's people like them who make out club what it is. However, it can't be easy for them to make these journeys for Midweek games possibly having to take two days off work and an overnight stop in an hotel. For me that is reason enough.

No childcare last night and other half working.

Always try to fit my shifts around big games but not always possible.

Work previously I would have.rarely have missed a home european game but its harder getting time off in my current job

A mixture of things

- money
- needing to get away from work early
- supporters busses maybe no tasking busses
- folk not taking kids cause it's a later night.

the cost
after season ticket
supporters bus fees
programmes, food, a beer or two
i can't afford euro nights
id love to go, but time off work (loss of wages)
the euro package cost etc
i just cant go

A lot of it TV in my opinion. People get a season ticket for matches that aren't on TV plus the Old Firms.

I am not on continuous credit but some of my mates are. If they cant make it I take their ticket so they are not out of pocket. If I know they are all going I activate my own card. So although I may not be in my usual seat I am normally there somewhere!

I’d imagine many, like me, live further away and can’t make midweek games on a regular basis. I’d love to go to European games at Ibrox.

Tbh people don’t have to justify why they can’t get to game a of football.Valid reasons or not.

Maybe ST holders don't sit in their normal seat and take up sitting somewhere else with mates some of whom may not be ST holders.

I have an adult and two kids ST's. I am fortunate the last couple of years I can tick all boxes but it's frightening. Two Hampden games, all euro qualifiers and group stages, now knock out stages. I think my extra tickets plus any additional aways I have bought off my own back amount to way more than my ST's cost....

It’s not that simple surely? Maybe a small percentage. But, at least from what I can see, it’s a massive number.

Season tickets are long since paid. Is it simply the cost?
It's exactly the reason. Why else do you think it is?

Finances i would expect. Ticking all the boxes on your renewal form is an expensive pastime that many people cannot afford.

I'd say money, I'm on CCCS and shudder to think how much I've spent on top of my ST on that alone. Not all people will be able to just accept a potential massive outlay over the course of the season and will look at it at the time tickets go on sale.

I’ve talked my mates into the cccs so I’m not sitting with random sat cup/Euro games anymore. Always bumping seat they were:)

It will be worse when they do away with CCS , I take all the tickets even though I am away more than half the time and they get shared between a few of us but still times the seats are empty.

If I know I am going to be away for a game I just won’t be paying for it in future.

Its always been that way in the EE.European Nights i think i recognize about the same 10/12 people every game

In the Copland front they were lots of The Buckie European crowd all around us for me its the simple cost of the tickets for European games puts a lot of season tickets off going and probably due to travelling costs Hotels our family life won't help either.

It's not just the price of the ticket, there's also travel, food and maybe drink involved so it's a substantial amount of cash that some people probably can't justify paying.

For me its unable to get to Ibrox in time after I finish work, plus side it gives folk without a season ticket chance to attend and have a bigger fan base experiencing Ibrox.
are you able to make midweek league games at Ibrox?
Or do you miss them also through work?

I know I had to rearrange shift swaps at short notice, or in advance of all home games ( including league) when I was working to attend Ibrox ( even at weekends)

Last edited:
I generally arrive quite early and take a wander around the stadium.

Without fail on a euro night the number of people with paper tickets is a bit weird. So many folk round me are new. So many folk walking around asking for directions is quite apparent.

It must be that a significant percentage of the season ticket holders don’t bother with euro games. Why?
Me personally I am a hgv1 driver and most of the time I am away for the week .

Its interesting to see the responses. A pity that so many bears have to miss out due to work commitments.

Live in London so Sunday games are tough enough for me. The irony for me is that’s away Euro ties are easy for me in most cases.

As posted money will be a main part of of why it happen as there will some that simply don't pay for any extra game no matter which competition

But how many of them attended the recent League midweek games?

Back