Our short passing

Michael Mols

Just a little thing I’ve noticed in the last few games but does anyone else think there’s a big difference in our short passing?

At the start of the season we were struggling to play simple passes and would often play them too short or behind the man. We now seem to be moving the ball quicker and in front of the target player rather than behind them.

Don’t know if it’s something Clement will have been working on, or if it just comes with confidence, but it looks a damn sight better anyway.

Our short passing has definitely improved.The amount of unforced errors when not under pressure at the start of the season was ridiculous.
I think that in addition to this we are beginning to consistently try more technically difficult passes playing through the oppositions midfield and defence.

Our short passing has definitely improved.The amount of unforced errors when not under pressure at the start of the season was ridiculous.
I think that in addition to this we are beginning to consistently try more technically difficult passes playing through the oppositions midfield and defence.

We played some great stuff around the edge of their box in the first half last night and just lacked the end product.

It has been much better since we returned from winter break. It is understandable that Clement just had to get us winning when he first came in and didn’t have much time to work with players between games.

I think we used the long ball a lot before then, and it was quite effective at times, but Sima being injured has maybe taken that option away. We are now playing shorter passes and looking more comfortable in possession.

It has been noticeable that both the fullbacks are taking up better positions to enable this. They are inverting some times when winger stays wide, or the winger comes narrow and they go wide instead.

Don’t think it is any coincidence either that this has also occurred at same time as Cantwell has been in best form of the season. He seems to thrive when there is more movement around him and shorter passing.

Sounds simple but it is probably just down to confidence.

Anyone who even plays 5s or 7s will know that even the simple things can be beyond you when you are having a bad game so the pros wont be any different.

It has been much better since we returned from winter break. It is understandable that Clement just had to get us winning when he first came in and didn’t have much time to work with players between games.

I think we used the long ball a lot before then, and it was quite effective at times, but Sima being injured has maybe taken that option away. We are now playing shorter passes and looking more comfortable in possession.

It has been noticeable that both the fullbacks are taking up better positions to enable this. They are inverting some times when winger stays wide, or the winger comes narrow and they go wide instead.

Don’t think it is any coincidence either that this has also occurred at same time as Cantwell has been in best form of the season. He seems to thrive when there is more movement around him and shorter passing.

I think Cantwell could thrive with Cortes and Silva. Both seem intelligent players who will find the space for Cantwell to pass into.

Just a little thing I’ve noticed in the last few games but does anyone else think there’s a big difference in our short passing?

At the start of the season we were struggling to play simple passes and would often play them too short or behind the man. We now seem to be moving the ball quicker and in front of the target player rather than behind them.

Don’t know if it’s something Clement will have been working on, or if it just comes with confidence, but it looks a damn sight better anyway.
Was commenting on this to my mate last night. They look so confident to make slightly risky short passes more too. If it doesn't come off, the heads don't go down. Also, the movement is a lot better, which helps.

I was in a bit early last night so watched a lot of our warm up. We looked really sharp in the close quarters one/two touch games. Noticeably different from how things were in the recent past.

We are making crisper and more decisive passes - Clement is definitely encouraging it behind the scenes but the main driver will be improved confidence from winning games of football.

Cantwell has the higher pass completion of any player who played more than 45. That wasn’t the case earlier in the season.

I was in a bit early last night so watched a lot of our warm up. We looked really sharp in the close quarters one/two touch games. Noticeably different from how things were in the recent past.
Having said that, Alex Rae was working with the back 4 on long/high balls and that didn't work out so well in the game :)

Back