Our strongest 11

deangers1991

Everyone fit and upto speed, what’s our strongest match day squad? Does players coming back make it?
Helander
Roofe
Hagi
Any other injury’s

Helander possibly because I know nothing about Davies but if he is even half as good as he is getting spoken about on here I can’t wait to see him.

Roofe is a no from me. Good player when fit but sadly he is about as dependable as a chocolate teapot.

Hagi offers something different to those in that position but Tillman looks a step up in class and Lawrence likes to look to pepper the goal which is something we have lacked

Helander if he could stay fit I think
Assuming we haven’t paid £4m for Davies to be a backup, I’d say he probably gets the nod. Ditto Yilmaz, so for SPFL games like this weekend:

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Davies Yilmaz
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

For European games such as PSV:

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent

Assuming we haven’t paid £4m for Davies to be a backup, I’d say he probably gets the nod. Ditto Yilmaz, so for SPFL games like this weekend:

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent
I think Borna could surprise a few folk yet

Not a pop at the young Turkish lad , Borna on it is a baller.

How the hell can you tell our strongest 11. Ffs we have new players feeling their way and for now it’s trial and error.
For instance putting Yilmaz or even Davies in our strongest 11 is crystal ball stuff and wishful thinking. Stupid thread!

Last edited:
Mcgregor
Tav
Goldson
Helander
Barasic
Jack
Davis
Lundstram
Tillman
Kent
Morelos

Subs
Mclaughlin
Sands
Kamara
Arfield
Lawrence
Hagi
Wright
Roofe
Colak

I've not seen enough of Davies, matondo, yilmaz, souttar, Zukowski yet to say otherwise

Mccann, Lowry Devine would just call potential just now too

Sakala, Katic could be on borrowed time

I think Gio is one of those managers who does not have a “strongest 11”. He has a core of 5-6 players who will always play, and the rest will be tailored to suit the opposition. Jack may be his strongest choice one game, with Kamara the next depending on what he is looking for. The idea of a strongest 11 is very dated in modern football.

What what it’s worth I still think Barisic and Hagi have a lot to offer this season and will be huge players for us.

There’s no such thing as strongest 11 anymore, we’re lucky we have good crop of 15/16 players that nobody would have any issues with starting most weeks and that’s the way it will likely be.

Our approach should, rightly, change depending on the opposition/pitch/conditions.

I think Gio is one of those managers who does not have a “strongest 11”. He has a core of 5-6 players who will always play, and the rest will be tailored to suit the opposition. Jack may be his strongest choice one game, with Kamara the next depending on what he is looking for. The idea of a strongest 11 is very dated in modern football.

What what it’s worth I still think Barisic and Hagi have a lot to offer this season and will be huge players for us.

Many people have said that recently but honestly I don't believe it.

Every team in the world, whether it is Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid or Bayern have a first 11. Man City are the team everyone always talks about having such a large squad and so many options, but they have a clear 9-10 that start each game if they are fit.

The criticism Gio got last season was starting the same 11 every week - so it's interesting that some people are now saying he's the type of player that will massively rotate the team. He didn't do it at Feyenoord either,

I don't think there's ever been an example of a successful team that had 5 core players and rotated the rest.

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Davies Borna
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

For me right side is still weak, Matondo needs to step it up a bit.
Yilmez needs to prove himself.
Alfie could also play on the right with Colak in the centre.

Many people have said that recently but honestly I don't believe it.

Every team in the world, whether it is Man City, Liverpool, Real Madrid or Bayern have a first 11. Man City are the team everyone always talks about having such a large squad and so many options, but they have a clear 9-10 that start each game if they are fit.

The criticism Gio got last season was starting the same 11 every week - so it's interesting that some people are now saying he's the type of player that will massively rotate the team. He didn't do it at Feyenoord either,

I don't think there's ever been an example of a successful team that had 5 core players and rotated the rest.
I think in Scotland you have to. The old horses for courses saying. Look at how great Hemdani did for us in Europe yet how hopeless he could look against some cannon fodder in our league. Hagi is the wonderfully talented player to unlock defences away in Europe but he’s a man short against Livingston. That’s just one example.

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent
So you're leaving Lawrence out for European games although he was man of the match last night?

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Davies Borna
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

For me right side is still weak, Matondo needs to step it up a bit.
Yilmez needs to prove himself.
Alfie could also play on the right with Colak in the centre.
Most ridiculous comment of the night award goes to you

Alfie plays in the middle up front where he should be

Colak can fit in somewhere else or not at all

For what it's worth the only players who are definitely in the 11 right now (and only assuming they maintain their form) are:

Tav
Goldson
Lundstram
Lawrence
Tillman
Morelos

All the others can be changed depending on the opposition

Tillman was man of the match.
Did you look at the poll on here in the match thread - 60% went for Lawrence - about 12% (including myself btw) went for Tillman. The MOM at the game is down to who's getting pissed up in the Sponsors Lounge that night. (Hence why Goldson was MOM at the game v Killie :)) :eek: )

As I said, Lawrence was MOM

Right now, based on what we've actually seen of players, our best 11 is: McLaughlin, Taverner, Goldson, Sands, Barisic, Lundstram, Lawrence, Tillman, Kent, Morelos, Wright.

Changes I'd expect to make quickly once new players have got up to speed would be: Ridvan for Barisic, Matondo for Wright, and Davies for Sands, though I think if Davies wasn't around Sands will continue to grow into that centre half position well.

Roofe and Helander face an uphill struggle to play their way into contention if Davies, Colak and Sands keep progressing, and if Souttar stays fit and we start to see some performances from him. Hagi will hopefully come back strong from his injury and has plenty of potential, should certainly make the bench, but he's going to have to step up a gear himself to compete with Lawrence and Tillman for a starting spot (he should only be playing centrally, the days of him on the right need to be over in my opinion).

Last edited:
No such thing as a strongest 11 in football these days. Depends on a lot of variables, opposition, competition, venue. Football is all about a squad and we need to have 20+ players ready to step in at any time.

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent

Can’t disagree with that, though for me Colak gets plenty of game time against SPFL jobbers.

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent
Hopefully see that formation in Scotland especially at home.
Still think against Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Celtic we’ll see more of your euro team.
Away from home in Europe Tillman may play in Matondo’s position and Kamara in midfield to make us more solid.

For me our formation is evolving, we saw a deep lying 6 dropped and another 8/10 added on Tuesday and we all liked the attacking purpose it gave us. Horses for courses but the main positions up for grabs are LCB, LB, central midfield partner for Lundstram (on occasion) and RW.

Given we’ve recruited in all 3 positions except midfield then it’s down to those signings to step up really. Tillman is our 1st choice 10 for me now but he won’t play 60 games this season and will need managed at some point, same goes for lots of other positions so we need a really strong 16/17 to cope dnd we are getting there.

1. McLaughlin
2. Tav
3. Yilmaz / Barisic (strongest up for grabs)
4. Goldson
5. Davies / Helander / Souttar
6. Lundstram
7. Matondo / Wright
8. Lawrence / Kamara (depends how deep)
9. Morelos
10. Tillman / Hagi / (Lawrence)
11. Kent

Strong core of players there and with Lowry, Arfield, Davis, Jack and Colak not even mentioned we have good depth.

Play with the tempo we did on Tuesday week to week in Scotland and we’ll destroy teams regularly.

I think Borna could surprise a few folk yet

Not a pop at the young Turkish lad , Borna on it is a baller.
The problem is we dunno when he’s gonna be on it. Up to him to prove it.

Don’t think we can say Yilmaz is the strongest 11 yet either, we’ve only seen him play once and he wasn’t great.

Think it is still a bit of an unknown but the way I look at it, is that we have about 15/16 starters. Some will start 50 odd games a season (Tav and Goldson), and others will start 30 odd games (Yilmaz, Kamara, Jack, Matondo, Tillman etc.

In my opinion we have replaced 2 starters in Aribo and Bassey with 5 in Yilmaz, Davies, Lawrence, Tillman, and Matondo.

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent

I‘m surprised to see Matondo in anyones strongest team. He would need a run of games for me to see where he fits. I haven’t seen anything this far which suggests he’s even a better option than Scott Wright.

Hagi when fit plays for me in our strongest 11
in place of who?

personally my team would be

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Davies Borna(or Yilmaz that one is up for debate)
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

in place of who?

personally my team would be

McLaughlin
Tavernier Goldson Davies Borna(or Yilmaz that one is up for debate)
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent
Couldn’t have wrote it better myself though replace Matondo for Hagi (for now), obvs this is going on if all fit.

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent
Like them, but I’d have Kamara before Jack.

Couldn’t have wrote it better myself though replace Matondo for Hagi (for now), obvs this is going on if all fit.
My only issue with that is Hagi has no pace - he wasn't great as the wide 10 / winger in SG system - so in my head the only place for him is either in place of Tillman or Lawrence and barring injuries / suspensions i don't see him displacing either.

Amazed how Goldson and Kent are first picks for so many when both are under performing for months ?

McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Davies
Yilmaz
Lundstram
Jack
Tillman
Lawrence
Morelos
Kent

Im hoping we are still in the market for a partner for Lundstram though

My only issue with that is Hagi has no pace - he wasn't great as the wide 10 / winger in SG system - so in my head the only place for him is either in place of Tillman or Lawrence and barring injuries / suspensions i don't see him displacing either.
Point taken, depends who you are playing I suppose, most dross in our league it’s not all about pace but more about cutting teams open.
Hagi, Tillman & Lawerence are perfect for that Matondo not so much.

McLaughlin
Lundstram
Tillman Lawrence
Matondo Morelos Kent

McLaughlin
Jack Lundstram
Tillman
Matondo Morelos Kent
The first 11 is probably our best.