Our style of play is great

Professor Yaffle

Official Ticketer
Game after game we are creating plenty of chances, scoring goals and not relying on Alfie to score all the time.

Today Aberdeen couldn't live with the passing and intelligent movement and players interchanging positions, forwards dropping deep, full backs and Arfield getting in to advanced positions it really was a joy to watch and could have been 7 0 quite easily.

Kent was also good and they couldn't get the ball off Aribo and the strength from the bench also makes me happy.

Tav, Goldson, Kent and Arfield were standouts for me.

It really is a pleasure watching this team just now and the manager and coaches hav also adapted and have sussed out the ultra defensive teams too. Again the team selection and tactics were spot on.

Looking forward to the European game then hopefully skelping Falkirk and resting a few key players in that game and giving some others game time.

Keep it up Gers. It is great right now.

Movement has been superb this season, a joy to watch. The only thing we're missing is a different type of striker. We have some very good strikers but I don't think any really fully fit into our system now.

The transitions, the rotation up front, the work the whole team does to get the ball back, the speed of passing, the wing backs, our defensive cover when the wing backs bomb upfield.

It’s glorious. We’re a well oiled machine these days. Everyone knows exactly their role.

And don’t start me on the quality of our bench these days, or I’ll never stop typing :D

Game after game we are creating plenty of chances, scoring goals and not relying on Alfie to score all the time.

Today Aberdeen couldn't live with the passing and intelligent movement and players interchanging positions, forwards dropping deep, full backs and Arfield getting in to advanced positions it really was a joy to watch and could have been 7 0 quite easily.

Kent was also good and they couldn't get the ball off Aribo and the strength from the bench also makes me happy.

It really is a pleasure watching this team just now and the manager and coaches hav also adapted and have sussed out the ultra defensive teams too. Again the team selection and tactics were spot on.

Looking forward to the European game then hopefully skelping Falkirk and resting a few key players in that game and giving some others game time.

Ryan Jack was also superb, but what was even better it was completely seamless when Steve Davis replaced him.

JC done an article in The Athletic pre match ‘More aggression in possession has allowed Rangers to add variety to their attack’.

Absolute joy to read as he talked about ‘the movement of the front SEVEN’, ‘movements happening in waves’, ‘triggers for players running from deep’.

We witnessed this all today and tbh he made the valid point also that we aren’t even seeing the full picture as we are only watching it on a small screen.

It’s took Gerrard 2 years to put this team together it’s all clicking in place mate, it’s only getting better

Remember in the very early days of the gaffer taking over,a video was shown of him stopping a training session and demonstrating when we lost the ball he didn’t want the players jogging in to win the ball back he wanted the players in quick and win the ball back immediately.thats what is happening now and why we are getting so many clean sheets.look how quick we win the ball back in fwd areas when we lose it.its not happening by accident that’s been worked on daily for the last few years.

Remember in the very early days of the gaffer taking over,a video was shown of him stopping a training session and demonstrating when we lost the ball he didn’t want the players jogging in to win the ball back he wanted the players in quick and win the ball back immediately.thats what is happening now and why we are getting so many clean sheets.look how quick we win the ball back in fwd areas when we lose it.its not happening by accident that’s been worked on daily for the last few years.

Goldson spoke about this aspect immediately after we scudded the mentally challengeds in their own midden a few weeks ago

You’ll all remember it. “We’ve been working on this in training for 2 years”

It shows

watching internationals. Finland for example.

Its noticeable our players are using their Rangers instinct at that level too.

I've said before, the only thing scottish about us is geography. The way we play is more english/european, which is why we are seeing what we are seeing, every other team including them are still stuck in the scottish footballing philosophy of the dark ages, put up any half decent european teams against anyone bar us in our league, and 9 times out of ten the scottish side would get pumped.The tims getting humped at home against sparta sums it up

This is our best team since 02/03.

I understand the enthusiasm. And you are potentially correct...

However, until we win something I think you are being extremely harsh on Walters side from 2007-11. 3 titles, robbed of a 4th due to the ridiculous fixture congestion and one game away from being immortalised in Manchester.

It's the work done by the coaches as well.

Mulgrew despite looking sick made the valid point about aberdeen man marking the likes of alfie was just coming short bringing a defender with him leaving space in behind. The coaches have watched how they play. Just need to start adding trophies now

I also think we have had more time on training pitch this year with "only" 3 qualifying games to contend with as opposed to 4 2 legged ties.

I think that extra work is paying off with how look so organised when out of possession but so fluid in possession.

Also helps that the bench is so, so strong so every single player starting knows they need to be at it or they will be replaced.

Movement has been superb this season, a joy to watch. The only thing we're missing is a different type of striker. We have some very good strikers but I don't think any really fully fit into our system now.
A Michael Mols type ? One that drops off to link the play then motors into the box with a perfectly timed run to get on the end of things ?

We look like we are playing with an extra man at times such is our movement on and off the ball constant angles and making yourself available for passes

Incredible fitness levels contribute massively

Fitness levels this year are off the scale. Lose the ball and it’s won back immediately. Credit to the full squad. They get it.

Ach but wee Del boy said we were just lucky with 3 deflections and a soft penalty.

It’s the best I’ve seen us play in a long time , I admit I was questioning if Gerrard was still the man for the job after the turn of season events last year , but has he proved me wrong , we seem like a total different animal , I don’t fear going to any ground this season even in Europe

Teams genuinely look shellshocked when we're in full flow. They don't know how to play against us and end up all over the place. Last season we struggled against teams with a packed defence whereas now it doesn't seem to matter what tactics we're up against.

I understand the enthusiasm. And you are potentially correct...

However, until we win something I think you are being extremely harsh on Walters side from 2007-11. 3 titles, robbed of a 4th due to the ridiculous fixture congestion and one game away from being immortalised in Manchester.

I'm not being harsh. They were a fantastic team.

However we had guys like Greg Wylde and Kirk Broadfoot as regulars some of those season. Lee McCulloch played central midfield and left wing. The team was constantly criticised for being terrible to watch.

I think this is a more talented squad which is capable of great things for us.

I'm not being harsh. They were a fantastic team.

However we had guys like Greg Wylde and Kirk Broadfoot as regulars some of those season. Lee McCulloch played central midfield and left wing. The team was constantly criticised for being terrible to watch.

I think this is a more talented squad which is capable of great things for us.

I take your point, which has some validity to it. However, until such time as we are on the park and players are hoisting a big silver cup above their heads (and probably on a regular basis) then I don't think that comparison can be made.

Yes I agree we were often not great to watch, but when Smith took the handbrake off, particularly in spring 2011 with the front 3 of Jelavic, Lafferty and Naismith, we played some magnificent stuff.

We've done zero coaching for a fortnight with players jetting all over the world.

No internationals until March means it will get better and better.

One game at a time.

Sweet Jesus:)

Caller on Clyde a few weeks back stated this is the best Rangers team he's ever seen...

The panel laughed, so did I.... but giving it thought, and seeing as we are 3 years in a row consistently playing to a high calibre in Europe (when has that ever happened?) then this team deserve all the plaudits they get.

We win the title this season then this team cement their place in folklore

Latest posts

Back