Our subs were head scratching to say the least.

Laudrup is God

Didn’t get the manager’s subs tonight at all Wright has not played well and yet gets brought on and same goes with Kamara.

Arfield Matondo Morelos should have seen the field before those two.

Also don’t think Gio knows his strongest side yet as we lost the midfield battle tonight and maybe even the tie.

If we could’ve got control of the midfield more we win tonight imo because when we pressed them and held the ball they didn’t look to clever.

I found it bizarre we started with no pace on the right. Thought we’d have went at them with two wingers but their left back was barely tested all night aside from when we cut them opened for the first

I thought it may have been as a result of Gakpo but Lawrence only tracked back a few times to help out, when he did though it was crucial.

Didn’t get the manager’s subs tonight at all Wright has not played well and yet gets brought on and same goes with Kamara.

Arfield Matondo Morelos should have seen the field before those two.

Also don’t think Gio knows his strongest side yet as we lost the midfield battle tonight and maybe even the tie.

If we could’ve got control of the midfield more we win tonight imo because when we pressed them and held the ball they didn’t look to clever.
Started with little pace. Finished with even less pace.

I didn’t see it that way, Kamara the right sub for a tiring Davis and he was fine. Wright brought on to run at them and use his pace and European experience. Unfortunately he didn’t really meet that expectation.

Maybe a couple others not 100% fit and not worth the risk on a heavy pitch with a huge run of games coming.

Davis was tiring and had played some poor passes second half. The Kamara sub is understandable.

Wright just isn’t good enough. When Tav put the throw in to him near the end his first touch is really poor and he ended up giving away a foul I think? If not he certainly loses possession. Next time he gets the ball he just runs into the defender.

I've said nearly every game and I'll stick by it. Gio still worries me. I still genuinely think his in game managed is poor to say the least. His use of subs is generally very, very poor but not as bad as his changing things around when they aren't working out.

We played some absolutely great football tonight so he does know how to get things right but I just don't know if it's because he is not quick enough to respond or just doesn't quite know what to do but you could say in quite a few games his decisions have been baffling. Certainly a lot more than you can say his decisions have been bang on.

Unsure how you can say we lost the midfield battle. I felt we overpowered them. They scored from a poorly defended corner (Goldson) and a scrappy tap in.

I felt we were the better team overall, and genuinely think we'll qualify.

They had the last 60 mins if the game in midfield mate from where I was sitting we didn’t move it anywhere near quick enough they then squeezed the game.

The balance of our midfield is off imo

Wright was poor when he came on. Bad decisions, lost the ball, conceded fouls.
Manager couldn't foresee that.

Tbf Wright has been quite productive so far this season and Gio likely expected him to deliver again.

Personally I think the weight of the pitch was a huge factor tonight. It was drenched and it was hars going for the team, you could see we begun to lose energy after an hour.

I found it bizarre we started with no pace on the right. Thought we’d have went at them with two wingers but their left back was barely tested all night aside from when we cut them opened for the first
Their left back was the weak link imo.

Pretty average player that Matondo would terrorise.

I've said nearly every game and I'll stick by it. Gio still worries me. I still genuinely think his in game managed is poor to say the least. His use of subs is generally very, very poor but not as bad as his changing things around when they aren't working out.

We played some absolutely great football tonight so he does know how to get things right but I just don't know if it's because he is not quick enough to respond or just doesn't quite know what to do but you could say in quite a few games his decisions have been baffling. Certainly a lot more than you can say his decisions have been bang on.
Couldn't disagree more. He changes games in a way we never once saw Gerrard do.

I can actually understand the subs we made. Wright was just up against an incredibly effective LEFT back. Wright is, however, stronger defensively than our other options imo.

Unsure how you can say we lost the midfield battle. I felt we overpowered them. They scored from a poorly defended corner (Goldson) and a scrappy tap in.

I felt we were the better team overall, and genuinely think we'll qualify.
First half, yes. Second half they swamped us in midfield.

Needed pace from the start and never really got it at any point. Kent should have been subbed early in the 2nd half. Wright was a disaster of a sub.

We needed energy and pace in the team so you could see why he went for Wright. Kamara was hopeless though - offered nothing to us when he should have been fresh as a daisy.

Thought rabbi should have definetly been brought on

Jacko instead of kamara as well

No buff was weird

Didn't have issue with Kamara coming on. But it should have been for Tillman and keep Davis on and try get a grip of midfield with 3 of Lundstram, Davis and Kamara.

No idea the thinking behind Wright tbh. I could have told you what he would do before he came on. Run around a lot. Misplace passss consistently. Run straight in to defenders then foul them.

He's at least consistent at all of the above.

Couldn't disagree more. He changes games in a way we never once saw Gerrard do.

I can actually understand the subs we made. Wright was just up against an incredibly effective right back. Wright is, however, stronger defensively than our other options imo.
I agree with the changes the game more than we saw Gerrard do but Gerrard actually did nothing during a game. Even when he eventually did it was an exact like for like swap on most occasions. I really don't rate Gio's in game management but I would dearly love him to rub my face in it regularly throughout the season.

I wouldnt disagree with the OP, but Kamara for Davis was like for like. Arfield should definitely have come on, but for Tillmans playing further forward.

For all the good things Colak brings, and I suggested he start tonight, we sorely miss Alfredo's hold up play in these European ties

Back