Our Throw-Ins

rfcjonnya

Before anyone starts aye I am buzzing after last nights victory but this thread isn’t just about last night, it has been like this for a couple of years.

Last night around 50% of our throw ins lead to us losing possession (I think it is actually higher). This isn’t restricted to last night. Against Sparta we were absolutely brutal with our throw ins again losing possession more than holding onto the ball.

Is this par for the course for football outwith Rangers (cant say I watch much outside our games)? Or are we abnormally brutal at this side of the game.

I suppose if this is all we have to worry about we are doing something right.

Last edited:
Before anyone starts aye I am buzzing after last nights victory but this thread isn’t just about last night, it has been like this for a couple of years.

Last night around 50% of our throw ins lead to us losing possession (I think it is actually higher). This isn’t restricted to last night. Against Sparta we were absolutely brutal with our throw ins again losing possession more than holding onto the ball.

Is this par for the course for football outwith Rangers (cant say I watch much outside our games)? Or are we abnormally brutal at this side of the game.
I have noticed this also. Like you, I don’t watch other teams.

Everything we tried led to us losing posssion to be fair. Never have i saw us lose the ball so much in one game in my life.

We were not quick enough, hibs could read our passes a mile off.
Totally agree mate but this isn’t restricted to last night. I have seen us have some right good performances but the throw-in problem remains. Not a big deal but frustrating.

I’ve said this for ages!! We have nobody who moves for the ball, I would imagine we give the ball back far more often than any team in the league

One last night we took about 20 yards from Hibs goal resulted in us conceding a corner

It’s a really strange thing to watch at this level

Agree with OP its an issue that needs looked at ....we are constantly giving possession up with our throw ins, Im sure I read before that Lpool or some other Epl team had a throw in coach at one point ? We need to get something similar done to improve ours

We are slow, with no movement at throw ins.

And then it is thrown to someone who kicks it high back to the thrower, putting them under pressure.

Hibs nearly caught us out with their quick throw, similar to the 2nd goal in the semi, and I think Malmo done the same.

Our throw ins have been terrible for the last 50 odd years that I have been watching us.
We can't take a quick throw in, it's always the full back that takes them!
Morelos took a quick one yesterday which actually led to a half chance. But I can't remember seeing many.

We also switch off when defending them. The Goldson clearance last night I think came from a poorly defended throw in.

I'm sure Arsene Wenger was/is trying to get the laws changed to a kick in instead of a throw.

His point is that a throw in is not much of an advantage to the team in possession who generally lose possession

I noticed we took a few quicker ones last night. Much prefer doing this as it doesn't give the defenders time to take up position. Needs our own players to be switched on though.

My dad goes absolutely tonto about this. We have no creativity whatsoever from throw ins. Serious lack of movement and a lot of the time just end up throwing it down the line for a flick on.

We play tight short ones to a single player with a defender on his back. The only option is to pass it straight back to the player , usually Tav , taking the throw. Other defenders are straight on him and despite Tav , Joe and Morelos's good close footwork , we lose it half the time.

Against Sparta , I noticed their option was always a long throw BACK to their defenders who were in the clear and they could start attacks from there.
The throw-in was never overtly offensive but the ball retention was.

My son has been on about this for a while. We seem to wait for one the full backs to get up to take them rather than whoever is nearest to take it quickly, if it suits to do so.

We tend to have a pattern with our throws.

We launch them further up the line with the view to potentially winning them further up the park whilst keeping possession further up.

It’s not as simple as not moving for the ball. We need to run set moves that are akin to pick plays in NFL. An intentional block that looks a coming together and frees up one receiver.

People laughed at the idea of a throw in coach at Liverpool but it makes total sense to me. We should have 5-10 set moves we do to free someone up for retaining possession.

And we don’t close down at the other teams throw ins if you watch.

Said it for months now.

The ceremonial throw ins are a pain in the neck. If we’re winning then that’s ok.

But if we are losing or drawing then whoever is nearest the ball gets it back into play asap.

Some teams do that, like Leeds last season.

The amount of time we waste is mind blowing.

Also, there should be training for all aspects of the game including throw ins.

:)

I've posted a few times over the last few years re throw ins. We criminally afford opposition loads of space to gain posession and start a move. When we take it, we have no space whatsoever and posession then becomes a lottery. Last night we got caught sound asleep with a ball thrown into our box which they almost scored from

My suggestion for throw in is two players walking off the pitch for it. The none throw in taker can then pick where he wants to run and receive the ball.
Couldn’t do it all the time mind, but it’s better than waiting for everyone to be marked and wasting the ball

The basic problem is that our players aren’t good enough to control a ball while being pressed by an opponent. That and a huge lack of movement

Morelos took a quick one yesterday which actually led to a half chance. But I can't remember seeing many.

We also switch off when defending them. The Goldson clearance last night I think came from a poorly defended throw in.

Was great to see a bit of urgency,especially with them on the back foot

All too often we let teams get back in and get in shape before launching it down the line

Has drove me mental for years.

Never improved under gerrard and beale which still staggers me.

Hopefully its something our new management team can work on and improve.

I have been saying this since Gerrard came in as manager, our throw ins are worse than school boy stuff, no movement offered and when its eventually thrown its usually lost, if not lost its having to be brought down from head or waist height and controlled putting the receiving player under immediate pressure. One in particular stood out for me in the first half, iirc Barasic was taking the throw and 5 of our players all stood absolutely static, Barasic eventually with no other option had to throw it high down the line and we lost possession within two or three touches.
Every set play we win should be used to our advantage, whether that be free kicks, corners or throw ins, a free kick anywhere inside the opponents half should be going straight into the box instead of short, corners straight in, that's where you invariably want it to go anyway, throw ins the players should be making runs, dragging their marker out of position, creating room for others.

Totally agree. It's not quite the same, but I feel a symptom of the same problem is how we use freekicks in the middle of the park. We consistently allow other teams to encroach within the 10 yds by simply playing the ball to a man under pressure before insisting that the other team are moved back. Invariably it leads to an unnecessary pass back 20 yds to relieve pressure or a quick turnover in possession. Not saying that were missing loads of goalscoring opportunities because of it, but it invites unnecessary pressure.

I call them "throw aways". For a team that values possession its ridiculous.

I have been going mental this season about this, Borna taking throw ins and throwing them at peoples chest to try and control. The movement has to be better but letting teams set up by taking so long is also a killer. Short free kicks around the half way line when the opposing team has set up in their own half, trying to play through them then ending up back at McGregor to punt a long ball, also brings out my rage. Put the big guys up and go long then play off the second ball.

It's strange in that it's been aa problem for years and under different managers. I remember one of the English teams being up for a pre season friendly and the movement from their players to give options at throw ins was incredible. No idea why we seem to be consistently bad at them

Annoys the shit out of me. Other teams seem to find their men more often than us. It's not hard to throw a ball to a blue jersey ffs.

My suggestion for throw in is two players walking off the pitch for it. The none throw in taker can then pick where he wants to run and receive the ball.
Couldn’t do it all the time mind, but it’s better than waiting for everyone to be marked and wasting the ball
Reading this thread it made me think, it wouldn’t be too difficult to show the squad at training to start throwing the ball into space for players to run on to rather that to players

Back