Our wide men

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
how many crosses did we put in today and never found a rangers player once? Our crossing is so bad it’s not even funny.

Anyone want to laugh about my assertions on Grezda and Middleton now??

there is no point throwing crosses into the box unless.....
they are quality
played at pace
has someone in the box to attack it
we don't achieve any of the above,we just "kick" it into the box in hope

I agree our crosses our terrible but the lack of desire for anyone to get on the end of the ones that are at least in a dangerous area is also pathetic. That midfield is a joke. Nobody offers anything going forward.
I assume Kent was struggling at half time to be taken off.

Lafferty was the only striker in the squad today!
As a centre half I would have been delighted if everything came down the wings

Absolutely no point putting crosses in to the box when we don't have anyone in there capable of winning them

Middleton is 18, so I'm not going to lump him in with the rest just yet. Kent was ok today and just back from injury.

Candeias, for all his good work off the ball, will hit 1 decent cross out of 10 if you're lucky. Grezda currently looks a waste of £2m.

I thought Grezda was doing alright when he moved to The right wing in the first half,then he was moved inside in the second half.
We have a tiny midfield so really we only had one player to aim crosses at,and for all his height big Laff is not renowned in the air.

Crossing was poor but we need midfielders to get themselves in and around the box...badly missed Arfield.

Our chances disappeared when Kent went off.

Middleton is just too one dimensional. However hard to be too critical as he is only young & probably should be used more sparingly rather than being depended upon to turn games around.

Grezda was dead on his feet after 60mins. Also didn't suit him playing central. He was far better on the wing. I still think he has quality which will show eventually.

Candeias was back to the one of old....no goal threat & inconsistent in terms of quality.

Don't know how Middleton keeps getting a game. I've seriously not seen him had a half decent game for months. Grezda looks like he's not got a clue how to play at this tempo

Middleton isn’t good enough for me, I don’t see what he offers he’s been missing in pretty every domestic game this season that he’s featured. Few good moments in Europe but he’s either not ready or not good enough, I tend to go with the latter. Just another Barrie McKay for me.

I'm baffled as to why there was no attempts to turn inside and run into the box.
We've seen Middleton do it before.

What annoyed me most about Middleton was that most of the time he was crosshing the ball in without looking up to see where it was going. A few times he was basically passing it to a Dundee defender.

Middleton is 18, so I'm not going to lump him in with the rest just yet. Kent was ok today and just back from injury.

Candeias, for all his good work off the ball, will hit 1 decent cross out of 10 if you're lucky. Grezda currently looks a waste of £2m.
Middleton can't be playing under that kind of pressure (I know it was 10 men but it was clear a lot was being expected of him).

Totally agree with Candias. Will play a blinder then come up with nothing the next game. In his defence, he'll run all day & get back to defend more than most but we need more than that.

Grezda should be played on the left with Barisic to see what they can do together being paired up dow the left at Osijek.

Middleton 18 or not is one dimensional. Greg Wylde in disguise imo. I thought at the start of the season he was just what we needed but 1/2 good displays so far isn’t good enough.

Candeias can work hard all he likes but when there’s nothing at the end of it the hard work means nothing.

Grezda just looks lost. At times today it looked as if tav and Candeias didn’t want to give him the ball.

Last 2 games are the most frustrating I’ve been in a long time. Don’t even get me started on that central defence.

how many crosses did we put in today and never found a rangers player once? Our crossing is so bad it’s not even funny.

Anyone want to laugh about my assertions on Grezda and Middleton now??

We wanted them in the team for weeks now.

We got the answer.

Our wide men have at least contributed assists over the course of the season.

Arfield apart there's nothing in terms of goals, assists or attacking threat coming from central midfield.

That's in stark contrast to the bheasts where in Ntcham, Rogic, McGregor, Christie, etc that's the most productive area of their team.

I thought Grezda was doing alright when he moved to The right wing in the first half,then he was moved inside in the second half.
We have a tiny midfield so really we only had one player to aim crosses at,and for all his height big Laff is not renowned in the air.

I found that strange as well, moving Grezda in second half. Can only think it may have been to play off lafferty.

Middleton, even though he is only 18, needs to improve his delivery into the box, not everything has to be a cross.

We wanted them in the team for weeks now.

We got the answer.
I never. I’ve been ridiculed for me thoughts on the 2 few weeks ago. Then after the Motherwell game they were world beaters. I said I hoped I was wrong in my thoughts but not looking likely last few games.

The problem is that ALL we want to do is cross it in, when we have 1 of our players to attack it and 6 or 7 defending it then it’s tough to score. We need to start hitting shots from outside the box, make the defenders step out to shut us down and create more space in behind to whip in the crosses.

Our wide men have at least contributed assists over the course of the season.

Arfield apart there's nothing in terms of goals, assists or attacking threat coming from central midfield.

That's in stark contrast to the bheasts where in Ntcham, Rogic, McGregor, Christie, etc that's the most productive area of their team.

Agreed. We are lacking the number 10 when Arfield isn't playing. Regardless of whoever is playing wide, our central midfielders, don't get near the play enough. The amount of times we got in behind in the second half but nobody to hit other than Lafferty is a joke.

The problem is that ALL we want to do is cross it in, when we have 1 of our players to attack it and 6 or 7 defending it then it’s tough to score. We need to start hitting shots from outside the box, make the defenders step out to shut us down and create more space in behind to whip in the crosses.

This has been our problem all along, as Wednesday also proved. We have no quality in midfield to play through the middle.

None of our wide players have "a trick", none of them can beat a man , they are all similar types so a bit one dimensional and therefore probably not the hardest for opposition sides to figure out how to stifle.

I think we are now seeing what a big loss Jamie Murphy is now. He can come inside and beat a man and also support the striker better than any of the others.

Our wide men today where as bad as it gets. Nobody had any courage to make something happen. Candeias for me works hard but it is hard to see how you win a title with him playing like he has recently.
Middleton has just disappeared in the last three matches. Zero quality from him.
Grezda is still finding his feet but again looked lost in that second half. Our midfield is that bad though that it does not help the widemen. No one twos. No movement. A disgrace all round.

No midfielder bursting a gut to get in the box was more of a problem.

If there is only the striker and no one bursting at the pen spot then it the easiest thing in the world to defend against.

Also do our midfield never facking gamble when their defenders are making clearing headers.
Every bloody time it's loose, always a Dundee player first to react.

People getting on Midleton like he's not a 18 year old who hasn't played regularly in his carrer until now. Guess what, there's going to be times where he hits a wall, he's been really good for us in some games and there's been others he's not done much. Saying he's not good enough is just stupid

The hard reality is that we have never replaced Murphy who is head and shoulders above any of the other side men

None of the current crop apart from Kent seem to have any creativity and the final ball is shocking

Today the only player to put a decent ball in the box was Barasic when he came on

Just 2 weeks ago he was massive for us. Now he's shite :D
Massive for us really. Not me who’s said that never been a fan of him. No doubt someone will post up assists. His decision making and crossing are just awful. IF we want to challange we need better than him and a few others

Massive for us really. Not me who’s said that never been a fan of him. No doubt someone will post up assists. His decision making and crossing are just awful. IF we want to challange we need better than him and a few others
Candeias would be a squad player in a better Rangers side but he's a good player to have and has done really well in Europe, also if you're having a go at his crossing then no one outside of Tav and Barisic can cross the ball on this team then in your mind?

For me another issue (apart from numbers in the box) is that I very rarely see our wide players lift their heads before making a cross.

Our wide players are also too quick to get the cross in for my liking, as soon as they get a yard or beat an opponent they cross the ball with out looking up.

When teams sit deep usually the central defenders are in the correct positions and therefore will head away most crosses or are in a good / correct position for lower driven crosses.

I would like to see our wide players take an extra touch or two on the ball to get to the byline, usually when players get to the byline, central defenders lose their positioning and are forced back towards their goal line.
Then we need players to lift their heads and make the right pass / decision.

We seem to have an ambundance of wide players yet hardly any strikers in the squad.Get it sorted in January ffs

Back