Our worst transfers ever?

There are some absolute brutal ones to recall but for me it could be anyone who was signed by Ally McCoist! I don’t think he signed a single player I would give pass marks to!

Senderos is a physical and a moral coward.
Barton came off a great season and I think he thought he’d stroll it which obviously he never.
Bruno Alves for me only turned up when he wanted to
Ramsey was a disaster all in
re-signing Kris Boyd
Dragan Mladenovic is up there with one of the most bizarre signings i’ll ever see
Jerome Bonnisel same as Mladenovic
To be fair for Bonnisel he was signed as a back if Arthur Numan got injured and wasn’t needed.

Konterman for me.

Really nice guy and the goal in the semi was amazing, but he was diabolical for us.

What was worse was Advocaat refusing to drop him and buying players like Flo while ingoring the crisis in the centre of defence.

It was clear really early on as well, there was something not right about Konterman, everyone could see it.

Celtic would have still have been tough opponents that year, but if Dick hadn't been so stubborn and went and got an actual centre half, then 00/01 might not have been the total disaster that it was.

It has to be Prodan. A couple millions spent and big wages paid to a guy who literally contributed nothing.
Something very fishy about the whole transfer and diligence (or lack of) undertaken on assessing his injury.

There are other big-money transfers who disappointed, but even the likes of Ramsey, Flo, Ball, Konterman etc gave at least some form of contribution on the pitch. We got nothing from Prodan for our money.

Rozenthal. I thought we were getting a new Iván Zamorano.

In the rangers news relaxing in a pool in Chile doing his rehab. Comes back like a fat mess.

Did we sign him over Marcelo Salas? Mind could be playing tricks. What a player Salas was

We bought him for £5.8m and sold him for around £2m.

He had about 10-15 excellent games.

Don’t be confused by the Arteta of Everton and Arsenal, we got a young guy learning lessons in British football and it cost us a fortune for the privilege.

He also drove the price down by acting like a bit of a dick to force a move.

This is bonkers.

He dictated many games. Can remember the fans chanting “Mikel, there’s only one Mikel” for what seemed like an eternity at the Man U game.

He didn’t leave in the best circumstances, but the thread is worst signing not worst way to leave a club.

Carlos Peña
Paul Ritchie
Egil Østenstad
Emerson
Dan Eggen
William Stanger
Antoine Ponroy
Makhtar N'Diaye
Karl Svensson
Eduardo Herrera
Alejandro Bedoya
James Beattie
Jerome Rothen
Wow some honkers there- can't even place Stanger.... but be really shite if he's keeping Ian black off the list

Financially our worst ever transfer is Michael Ball.

If you add fee plus wages less fee received back we’ve never lost more on a player.

We’ve had worse players but for someone that cost between £6 and £7m and was on reported wages of £32k - £40k a week he was a huge let down.
Booze bag and constantly on the fags at Sals in Milngavie.

The obsession over Ramsey is so weird. A guy who was here for 14 weeks.

Why doesn’t anyone have the same disdain for Diallo? Who coincidentally, has a goals contribution every 166 minutes.

The emotional hysteria over him is beyond sad. Like a crazy ex-girlfriend.
He missed the penalty that cost us our first major European silverware in 50 years. Of course there’s obsession.

He missed the penalty that cost us our first major European silverware in 50 years. Of course there’s obsession.

If he scores, we still don’t win.
If Goldson knows how to kick a ball, we win.

I know who I’m more upset with from that game.

Peña and Herrera were rotten. Ostenstad and Jeffers have to be up there.

See with Barton, he wasn’t great but it’s exaggerated how bad he was IMO. Made some comments in the press so the Tims were keen to get their own back by claiming Brown chased him out of Scottish football. Was probably one of the better players in his spell (not saying much tbf) and Warburton shouldn’t have been so hasty to get rid of him.

If he scores, we still don’t win.
If Goldson knows how to kick a ball, we win.

I know who I’m more upset with from that game.

Goldson or Ramsey will inevitively get Europa defeat blame, but consider how many times we lost goals from the same ball into our box that we were incapable of clearing.

Gotta get that sorted out.

Too many bad ones to name but I’ll stick with the ones I knew would be absolutely shite before we signed them or for one reason or another wouldn’t work out it but we signed them anyway

Senderos
Rossiter
Gavin Rae
Ortiz
Bedoya
Foster
Zungu
Zungu
I’d forgot about him can’t believe he has 30 caps for South Africa.

Peña and Herrera were rotten. Ostenstad and Jeffers have to be up there.

See with Barton, he wasn’t great but it’s exaggerated how bad he was IMO. Made some comments in the press so the Tims were keen to get their own back by claiming Brown chased him out of Scottish football. Was probably one of the better players in his spell (not saying much tbf) and Warburton shouldn’t have been so hasty to get rid of him.
Interesting take. I thought Barton was utterly dreadful, it wasn't an exaggeration at all.

Was it killie where some no-mark brushed him off and left him trailing in his wake? Iirc that's the game where alarm were ringing all over the place that our attempt to bolster the team as we stepped up to premiership had failed. we looked a mile off it, and barton was one of the worst.

he swung from gash to average - can't remember a single game he played where I thought "that's more like it".

Interesting take. I thought Barton was utterly dreadful, it wasn't an exaggeration at all.

Was it killie where some no-mark brushed him off and left him trailing in his wake? Iirc that's the game where alarm were ringing all over the place that our attempt to bolster the team as we stepped up to premiership had failed. we looked a mile off it, and barton was one of the worst.

he swung from gash to average - can't remember a single game he played where I thought "that's more like it".

It was his first game against Hamilton. Ali Crawford megged him.

Barton then somehow went on to get POTY at Burnley - which gave him an excuse to ridicule Scottish football. The reality is that he was hung out to dry in our setup, combined with him also not being prepared for fight - more mentally than physically - but he would never admit that.

A couple of names I haven’t seen yet - Rob Kiernan and Russell Martin. Loathed both of them. Both were also suggested as future captains on FF.

There are some absolute brutal ones to recall but for me it could be anyone who was signed by Ally McCoist! I don’t think he signed a single player I would give pass marks to!
I was always a fan of Sone Aluko or was it Smith that signed him, wish we kept a hold of him for longer anyway

There a lots of names on this thread that should be nowhere near it.

We sign lots of players on frees or low fees and lots of them fail. They’re often punts and are offset by the frees and low fees that come in and become valuable players.

Others come in for big money, don’t work out and we manage to get rid for a decent fee.

The real candidates for this title are the ones that real money was spent and lost on.

Konterman
Ball
Pena
Rozenthal

I notice nobody’s mentioned a midfielder we took a £4m hit on - Mikel Arteta
Arteta is an absolute nonsense suggestion

The obsession over Ramsey is so weird. A guy who was here for 14 weeks.

Why doesn’t anyone have the same disdain for Diallo? Who coincidentally, has a goals contribution every 166 minutes.

The emotional hysteria over him is beyond sad. Like a crazy ex-girlfriend.
Because Diallo was a wean with barley any senior experience and didn’t treat his loan here as a glorified sparring session to look after his international career?

Ramsey came here as an established player with a huge reputation and expectations to match. We as a fan base we’re giddy after his signing, celebrating and speculating that he’d ensure we make it 2 in a row. Ultimately he gave us a pretty pitiful return and the whole thing ended being more embarrassing than anything.

Now, given that his return was crap, we lost the league and all of this is still fresh in the memory of fans, I’m not sure why people are surprised that he’s viewed as a giant flop, especially if you just look it as a comparison of expectation vs reality, because I can’t think of many signings with such hoopla, where so much was expected and so little delivered.

Arteta is an absolute nonsense suggestion
Not many players that we lost more money on.

I think he was a good player and it was a disgrace that he was allowed to leave for as little as £2m, but on pure financials he was a bit of a disaster.

Not many players that we lost more money on.

I think he was a good player and it was a disgrace that he was allowed to leave for as little as £2m, but on pure financials he was a bit of a disaster.
He gave us something back though, he played a pretty significant part in a title win. We’ve spent decent money on many players who didn’t really give us anything.

£2m wasn’t much, but then Martin Bain isn’t exactly famed for being a master negotiator.

Last edited:
Ostenstad - couldn't trap a bag of cement.
Kevin Kyle - Absolute mess
Martin and Kiernan, I've seen milk turn quicker than both.
O'Halloran
Black
Andy King
Barton, Boydy second time around and Beattie.
Alex Ferguson.

Haven't read the entire thread (only first page so most mentioned) so apologies if these are already mentioned.

Niguez, Namouchi, Celik and Snelders.

Snelders pulling out of an OF game forcing us to play a crocked Goram is right up there with Senderos getting sent off on purpose. Absolute shite baggery

Back