Our worst transfers ever?

Federico Nieto, Filipo Maniero, Marcus Gayle, Ostenstad, Capucho, Jeffers, Paul Ritchie, Peña, Cardoso, Barton, Dalcio, Ramsey, Billy King to name just a few.

I'm bored so anyway lol just been sitting here thinking about our worst transfers ever? Who you got? Now mine will only be since I've been a Rangers fan so quite sure ya'll might offer different choices. From my perspective since I've been a fan these are my top three in no particular order:

Joey Barton-I thought at the time he still had something in the tank and could be quite good here. Yes, was a prick then as he has always been but I could overlook that. However, as well all know he was a total bust in more ways than one.

James Beattie-Past his best when we got him and it showed.

Carlos Pena-Horrific, simple enough.
Aaron Ramsey. A disaster of a signing.

Pena and Herrera for a combined £5m plus wages at a time we didn't have the finances to challenge was virtually criminal.
Konterman for nearly £5m plus wages to make the team 10x worse than it was will anger me forever.

But if we go back a lot further, what about the huge money we spent in the early 80s on players who gradually made us the 4th and 5th best team in Scotland with the biggest outlay?
Gregor Stevens, Ian Redford, Craig Paterson, Iain Ferguson, Cammy Fraser, Sandy Clark, etc all cost massive money for the time, and all were abysmal value for where they took us. And were all sold for a fraction of what we paid.
Ian Ferguson?

If it’s transfers out as well as in, then Jim Forrest being ostracised and then punted in 1967

No one can say for sure but if we’d not acted so rashly, probable victory in the 67 Cup Winners Cup final and stopping them winning their only NIAR could well have been the outcome

It pains me to think about it

Joe Garner, we spent a fair chunk on him ay a time when we weren't spending much on anyone and it was patently obvious before he joined that he was nowhere near good enough for us. A dreadful football player.

Don't think any of the signings in the lower leagues should be included given the circumstances.

Daniel Prodan, Bert Konterman and Michael Ball have to he at the top of the list.

Colin Hendry can't be far off either given the outlay for basically one season and zero financial return.

Letizi was pretty crap. Think he was quite expensive too under Le Guen.

Kanchelskis.. I know a lot of people liked him but at 30 grand a week and like 5 mil.. nah.

Dragan Mladenovic.

He just didn’t do anything. He existed, that’s all you can really say. Barry Horne’s ‘Serbian Zidane’ quote is surely the worst bit of hype ever uttered.

Our central midfield pairing against CSKA at Ibrox was him and Stephen Hughes. He was hooked for Marvin Andrews with ten minutes to go.

CUKf_wtXAAAkHrK
Without a doubt one of the worst players I've ever seen in the 60 years I've supported Rangers

Bert konterman - bertie bombscare, the goal against the beasts apart he was awful. Thought we were signing the new Jaap Stam then bertie told us his mum taught him to play football. It showed. Never seen him win a tackle

That was going to be my answer. At least the likes of Barton and Senderos were free. Prodan was £4m and he never played a single minute of football for us.
This was my first thought too, but I don't remember the details of his signing very well. Was it pretty well known that he was crocked?

If it was a £4m gamble on his recovery then that puts it very close to, if not top, of the list.

If it was bad luck, that's maybe a different thing, my second thought was Peña given how unfit he was to begin with, how much he cost, and how the manager must have known at the time that he was a liability. There's probably a lot of recency bias there though.

Joey Barton on the basis off all the verbal he was given it about being able to play up here in his sleep only to then let Scott Brown rip the utter piss out of him.

Arsehole of a guy. Hope he and his coffee machine are happy together!!!

The Newcastle 5 - never have we had a transfer foisted upon us. Hardly any of them played and when they did they were shite.
I had somehow blocked this out. I think I can overcome the repressed trauma long enough to say that's a good shout. A perfect shïtstorm of bad players, bad times, bad running of the club.

Some of the worst signings on this thread came with good reputations, in some cases very good reputtions; we should bear that in mind, because a great many of our best signings were players we knew very little about beforehand.

Pena and Herrera for a combined £5m plus wages at a time we didn't have the finances to challenge was virtually criminal.
Konterman for nearly £5m plus wages to make the team 10x worse than it was will anger me forever.

But if we go back a lot further, what about the huge money we spent in the early 80s on players who gradually made us the 4th and 5th best team in Scotland with the biggest outlay?
Gregor Stevens, Ian Redford, Craig Paterson, Iain Ferguson, Cammy Fraser, Sandy Clark, etc all cost massive money for the time, and all were abysmal value for where they took us. And were all sold for a fraction of what we paid.
The problem in the 80s, was the signing policy had caught up with us.
Dont get me wrong, i did like singing one team of proddys etc in the enclosure .
We always won or were in finals of the league cup though, or it seemed that way.

I just cannot see past how spending £millions to sign a confirmed, then currently performing drug abusing, alcoholic, overweight jakey could ever be described as anything other than the worst transfer ever, except maybe putting that piece of shite O’Halloran in our fine Royal Blue jersey. :))
Sorry who is this?!

Pound for pound Bert Konterman is the worst player to ever pull on a Rangers jersey in my lifetime.

A man so bad that Advocaat had to change the formation to justify his continual shoehorning of him into the team.

A gutless and inept bombscare.

I know that’s always been the general consenus about Ally, but I wonder how true it was.

He was there under some tough managers in Souness and Walter, then he was assistant when we won 3 titles and reached a European final. Watching old footage and interviews it was always spoke of that Mccoist enjoyed a joke but was serious when it came to work.

He also retained McDowall and Durrant, and had guys like Miller and Wallace around. I doubt they’d have stood for the holiday camp vibe.

I think it’s more probable that individuals decided to throw the towel in like Boyd and Black.
McCoist thought having old heads would take us through everything easily.

Some of Mcleishs signings were shocking, problem was that Dick had spent all the dough.

Can’t believe I’ve only seen Capucho mentioned once!

Questions like these are interesting because the interpretation of “worst” could be financial outlay vs reward, general inability, impact on team etc. Here are my thoughts:

Prodan - expensive and never kicked a ball for us.
Flo - marquee signing of a world class footballer resulting in massive disappointment.
Ball - expensive luxury where we had Arthur Numan anyway.

None of these guys cost us games though so for me I’d have to say Bert Kontrrman.

He cost a lot of money, decent reputation, played a lot of games and was generally terrible. At the time I was willing him to be good and probably kidded myself on that he wasn’t as bad as he was but it was hard to see how he was a Dutch international. Then again, all was forgiven with that absolute thunderbolt.

Edit: he also said in any interview just after he signed that his mum taught him how to play. Should have known at that point.

Ian Black (still to this day can't believe he pulled on our shirt)

Barton (badly wanted him to be a success)

Eduardo Herrera. I'll qualify this one by saying he was a very good pro who respected the club and fans but, my God he was awful. I remember watching him warm up before the 5-5 game at Easter Road. He couldn't even kick the ball properly.

I remember sitting with mates watching Newcastle on TV and we were all laughing at just how bad Olivier Bernard was for a top level player. His arse was enormous, he had to do a three point turn to face another direction.

There definitely have been worse signings where players got injured, or did not reach the standard they once were. But anyone who watched Bernard for even a small amount of time should have had the sense to stay well clear of him.

Boyd the second time around doesn’t get spoken about enough.

He was an utter disgrace. I remember him laughing when he came on in the play off game v Hibs because he was so overweight.
We always used to bring back players for a second spell and it never worked
Baxter , Stein , DJ , Bud Johnston all failures second time around.

Back