Our worst transfers ever?

He gave us something back though, he played a pretty significant part in a title win. We’ve spent decent money on many players who didn’t really give us anything.

£2m wasn’t much, but then Martin Bain isn’t exactly famed for being a master negotiator.
No, Bain made a complete arse of it, as he did with most things.

It’s arguably our worst sale ever when you consider what he’d shown to that point and what he went on to do.

Haven't read the entire thread (only first page so most mentioned) so apologies if these are already mentioned.

Niguez, Namouchi, Celik and Snelders.

Snelders pulling out of an OF game forcing us to play a crocked Goram is right up there with Senderos getting sent off on purpose. Absolute shite baggery
Namouchi cost nothing, left for a fee and contributed in quite a few games.

Terrible shout

Because Diallo was a wean with barley any senior experience and didn’t treat his loan here as a glorified sparring session to look after his international career?

Ramsey came here as an established player with a huge reputation and expectations to match. We as a fan base we’re giddy after his signing, celebrating and speculating that he’d ensure we make it 2 in a row. Ultimately he gave us a pretty pitiful return and the whole thing ended being more embarrassing than anything.

Now, given that his return was crap, we lost the league and all of this is still fresh in the memory of fans, I’m not sure why people are surprised that he’s viewed as a giant flop, especially if you just look it as a comparison of expectation vs reality, because I can’t think of many signings with such hoopla, where so much was expected and so little delivered.
Generally, I don’t think it’s a good idea to let emotion cloud judgement.

Couldn’t care less about reputation, national team interest, giddiness etc. Even age isn’t really a thing - we need players to contribute on the field; I’m not about to concede a title because we’ve chosen to go with younger players.

I find it a lot easier to simply judge players on contributions to the team - and that’s it. Nothing else. Otherwise it’s how you end up with people preferring Lee McCulloch to Alfredo Morelos (Because “he’s always in Colombia”). It’s all a bit pathetically dramatic if truth be told.

It’s football in 2022. Most of them are mercenaries. Not going to go crying about it if a player enjoys playing for his country.

Generally, I don’t think it’s a good idea to let emotion cloud judgement.

Couldn’t care less about reputation, national team interest, giddiness etc. Even age isn’t really a thing - we need players to contribute on the field; I’m not about to concede a title because we’ve chosen to go with younger players.

I find it a lot easier to simply judge players on contributions to the team - and that’s it. Nothing else. Otherwise it’s how you end up with people preferring Lee McCulloch to Alfredo Morelos (Because “he’s always in Colombia”). It’s all a bit pathetically dramatic if truth be told.

It’s football in 2022. Most of them are mercenaries. Not going to go crying about it if a player enjoys playing for his country.
But it’s football, we expect bigger things from bigger players, with bigger wages, with bigger and better track records and more experience.

I don’t think it’s hard to understand why his time here is looked on far less favourably than Diallo’s, because we as fans weren’t screaming on Twitter/Facebook/instagram how we’d just made the deal of the century when Diallo signed, we weren’t expecting Diallo to be the one to propel us to 56, because he’s a kid - but we did all this with Ramsey and in the end it was all just a bit embarrassing.

I take that as a given. The only time when that was in question was when players were slaves in golden cages and managers could blackmail players out of playing fot their national team. Of course you could also argue there are too many international dates these days.

Nah you’ll have a few who’ll still be starry eyed and in awe that we managed to get such a superstar to Ibrox for 6 months.
Maybe, but more likely we’ll still see players like Rothen, Bernard, Nieto, Ostenstaad, Martin, NHL Senderos, and many more and this isn’t including those signed by McCoist, as worse signings than Ramsay.

But it’s football, we expect bigger things from bigger players, with bigger wages, with bigger and better track records and more experience.

I don’t think it’s hard to understand why his time here is looked on far less favourably than Diallo’s, because we as fans weren’t screaming on Twitter/Facebook/instagram how we’d just made the deal of the century when Diallo signed, we weren’t expecting Diallo to be the one to propel us to 56, because he’s a kid - but we did all this with Ramsey and in the end it was all just a bit embarrassing.
Diallo went for £38m. You could argue we could’ve expected a lot more - but people wished him well.

Ramsey was injured plenty before he came, he was injured plenty here. I don’t see what was so surprising. I understand there was excitement, but that isn’t his fault - so it’s wrong to hold it against him. Ultimately, maybe people expected too much - but on balance, that can’t be used to call him “the worst signing ever”. It’s really unfair. He was here for 14 weeks and we weren’t even paying his wages. It’s hardly Grezda.

Because Diallo was a wean with barley any senior experience and didn’t treat his loan here as a glorified sparring session to look after his international career?

Ramsey came here as an established player with a huge reputation and expectations to match. We as a fan base we’re giddy after his signing, celebrating and speculating that he’d ensure we make it 2 in a row. Ultimately he gave us a pretty pitiful return and the whole thing ended being more embarrassing than anything.

Now, given that his return was crap, we lost the league and all of this is still fresh in the memory of fans, I’m not sure why people are surprised that he’s viewed as a giant flop, especially if you just look it as a comparison of expectation vs reality, because I can’t think of many signings with such hoopla, where so much was expected and so little delivered.
I’m not sure you’re memory of Ramsay’s arrival is totally accurate.
There were plenty who saw this move as an aid to get him for Wales games and nothing more.
Expectation was, for me, very low level.

Maybe, but more likely we’ll still see players like Rothen, Bernard, Nieto, Ostenstaad, Martin, NHL Senderos, and many more and this isn’t including those signed by McCoist, as worse signings than Ramsay.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends how you view it, I and a whole lot of fans expected a lot from Ramsey. Rothen aside I wasn’t expecting much from any of the players mentioned above. I knew Bernard was crap when he signed, I knew Martin was really crap when he signed, I pretty much knew Ostenstaad wouldn’t be up to much, Nieto was just one of the thousands of young players every year who are slapped with a label for “potential” that they ultimately never get near, he wasn’t established or anything.

And surely to god none of us expected any less from Sendeross when he’d been training with us for weeks with no interest from other clubs and Waburton himself only sanctioned that deal at the last minute when every single other one of his targets became unattainable? I mean the player himself must have realised he was a desperate last resort.

Diallo went for £38m. You could argue we could’ve expected a lot more - but people wished him well.

Ramsey was injured plenty before he came, he was injured plenty here. I don’t see what was so surprising. I understand there was excitement, but that isn’t his fault - so it’s wrong to hold it against him. Ultimately, maybe people expected too much - but on balance, that can’t be used to call him “the worst signing ever”. It’s really unfair. He was here for 14 weeks and we weren’t even paying his wages. It’s hardly Grezda.
I think you’re kidding yourself on here mate. Diallo was signed by one of the richest clubs in the world for potential, he was still a teenager who’d proven nothing at all. And you can’t ignore the fact that Ramsey was clearly giving more to Wales than he was to us, that is a massive factor on how fans view his time here.

In hindsight we probably did expect too much with regards to injuries, but I don’t think he gave Rangers 100% in general, and for me that’s the absolute minimum we should expect.

I think you’re kidding yourself on here mate. Diallo was signed by one of the richest clubs in the world for potential, he was still a teenager who’d proven nothing at all. And you can’t ignore the fact that Ramsey was clearly giving more to Wales than he was to us, that is a massive factor on how fans view his time here.

In hindsight we probably did expect too much with regards to injuries, but I don’t think he gave Rangers 100% in general, and for me that’s the absolute minimum we should expect.

Giving more to Wales than to us…let’s be honest, what did he even owe us? Why would we expect him to give more to a club he’s visiting for 3 months? We weren’t even paying his wages. He had no loyalty to us.

I get it, we’re all Rangers fans and he was briefly living our dream - but it wasn’t his dream. That should be recognised before saying he’s the worst signing ever.

Giving more to Wales than to us…let’s be honest, what did he even owe us? Why would we expect him to give more to a club he’s visiting for 3 months? We weren’t even paying his wages. He had no loyalty to us.

I get it, we’re all Rangers fans and he was briefly living our dream - but it wasn’t his dream. That should be recognised before saying he’s the worst signing ever.
Are you serious? We were paying a portion of his wage which would still amount to a tidy sum for us. We were giving him a chance to play football again after being frozen out, a chance to win some medals. This is a such a weird take, if he wasn’t committed he should have never been here to begin with and that goes for every player.

No rational fan will look on him as the worst signing ever. But if you look at expectation vs outcome, he’s easily one of the biggest letdowns I’ve seen in over 30 years as a Rangers fan.

Peña and Herrera were rotten. Ostenstad and Jeffers have to be up there.

See with Barton, he wasn’t great but it’s exaggerated how bad he was IMO. Made some comments in the press so the Tims were keen to get their own back by claiming Brown chased him out of Scottish football. Was probably one of the better players in his spell (not saying much tbf) and Warburton shouldn’t have been so hasty to get rid of him.
I put him on my list of worst signings, not because he was the worst player at that point, but taking into account wages, reputation, performances, and then getting sacked costing us £1m.

Peña and Herrera were rotten. Ostenstad and Jeffers have to be up there.

See with Barton, he wasn’t great but it’s exaggerated how bad he was IMO. Made some comments in the press so the Tims were keen to get their own back by claiming Brown chased him out of Scottish football. Was probably one of the better players in his spell (not saying much tbf) and Warburton shouldn’t have been so hasty to get rid of him.

When was Barton even remotely decent in a game for us?

The obsession over Ramsey is so weird. A guy who was here for 14 weeks.

Why doesn’t anyone have the same disdain for Diallo? Who coincidentally, has a goals contribution every 166 minutes.

The emotional hysteria over him is beyond sad. Like a crazy ex-girlfriend.

He didn’t miss a penalty in Europa Final 2022

Without a shadow of a doubt its Ramsay will be remembered for coming on and missing THAT penalty ridiculous signing . Would have been better signing Gilmour

Haven't read the entire thread (only first page so most mentioned) so apologies if these are already mentioned.

Niguez, Namouchi, Celik and Snelders.

Snelders pulling out of an OF game forcing us to play a crocked Goram is right up there with Senderos getting sent off on purpose. Absolute shite baggery
Aaron Niguez? Pretty sure he was a loan who only played a couple cup games

Senderos , Russell Martin and Franny Jeffers. I chose them because they were supposedly 'high profile' players yet were complete duds.

Pena for me. Signing was made worse by the fact that we were still miles away financially from where we used to be so wasting the money we did on him was ridiculous.

Maybe it's recency bias, and yes it was only a loan, but for me Aaron Ramsey was the worst signing the club ever made.

Sky high expectations of a world class player brought in from one of the top teams in Europe but who turned out to be a dud, whose legs were gone and ultimately cost us a European Final.

Oliver Bernard.
I remember he lined up in CL for us and I could not believe what a fat lady's front bottom he was, same game we had Franny Jeffers up front.
No wonder I drink!

Russell Martin - I’ve never ever seen a defender so bad. And yes that includes Svensson

Pena is up there with the biggest waster

Letizi was an awful keeper too not sure we paid money for him tho? Hopefully not.

Sebo up there too

There have been a few but for me Fran Sandaza was by far the worst player i have ever seen at our club. Just the worst player ever had zero commitment to the club

It was his first game against Hamilton. Ali Crawford megged him.

Barton then somehow went on to get POTY at Burnley - which gave him an excuse to ridicule Scottish football. The reality is that he was hung out to dry in our setup, combined with him also not being prepared for fight - more mentally than physically - but he would never admit that.

A couple of names I haven’t seen yet - Rob Kiernan and Russell Martin. Loathed both of them. Both were also suggested as future captains on FF.
Rob Kiernan. How did I forget him? Couldn't get a fag paper under him when he jumped to head a ball.

Last edited:
There have been a few but for me Fran Sandaza was by far the worst player i have ever seen at our club. Just the worst player ever had zero commitment to the club
Andy Webster had less commitment.

Never has there been a bigger waste of space, time, money and skin than this charlatan.

Last edited:
Ostenstad - couldn't trap a bag of cement.
Kevin Kyle - Absolute mess
Martin and Kiernan, I've seen milk turn quicker than both.
O'Halloran
Black
Andy King
Barton, Boydy second time around and Beattie.
Alex Ferguson.
Can’t agree with Ferguson
Apart from the last game where he sold the jerseys he was excellent , scored loads of goals domestically and in Europe.

Can’t see past Pena. From his first touch you could see that the guy wasn’t fit to be a professional athlete anymore.

Signings in Advocaat’s last full season were poor at a time we really should have moved up another level.

Eduardo Herrera was an even bigger waste of money. He was one of the worst strikers I’ve ever seen at SPFL level. Peña was a suspected alcoholic playing in midfield and still outscored him.

Goalies Bell, Maxwell, Snelders, Christiansen, Litezi were guff or pointless signings.

RB wishart, the Greek Agriyou, Muscat, Foster

LB Bernard, Vanoli, Stensass, Ball (why?) amongst others

CB Senderos, Fan Fan, Rodrigues, Eggen, Webster, that Brazilian guy that I can't spell. Martin, big Rob Keirnan. Svensson,Konterman nice guy but terrible CB

Midfield and wingers Barton, Mladenovic, Ortiz, Emerson, Thern (good pedigree but injured and over paid) Black, Pena, Celik, Grezda, Capucho, Michael Francis Oh shit, Rothen

Strikers Sandaza, Kyle, Jeffers, Gayle, Ostenstast, Beattie, Herrera, Boyd 2nd time, Sebo, Garner.

Those Newcastle lot. Couple of Finnish lads who were signed and never got a look in.

Grim but we move on.

Plenty duds omitted or thankfully forgotten about

Last edited:
Goalies Bell, Maxwell, Snelders, Christiansen, Litezi were guff or pointless signings.

RB wishart, the Greek Agriyou, Muscat, Foster

LB Bernard, Vanoli, Stensass, Ball (why?) amongst others

CB Senderos, Fan Fan, Rodrigues, Eggen, Webster, that Brazilian guy that I can't spell. Martin, big Rob Keirnan. Svensson,Konterman nice guy but terrible CB

Midfield and wingers Barton, Mladenovic, Ortiz, Emerson, Thern (good pedigree but injured and over paid) Black, Pena, Celik, Grezda, Capucho, Michael Francis Oh shit, Rothen

Strikers Sandaza, Kyle, Jeffers, Gayle, Ostenstast, Beattie, Herrera, Boyd 2nd time, Sebo, Garner.

Those Newcastle lot. Couple of Finnish lads who were signed and never got a look in.

Grim but we move on.

Plenty duds omitted or thankfully forgotten about
Simonsen was our worst keeper IMO. Snelders madd sense on paper. Christiansen was the most expensive keeper in Scotland until Barkas turned up.

Ball had loads of potential, was young and highly rated. He cost us £6m iirc. Was Stensaas not an internationalist with an okay background. I only recall him playing once after DA took over.

Konterman was a dreadful CB but competent in a midfield role.

Thern and Capucho were quality players. Sadly they weren’t great for us. Barton wasn’t a poor player evidenced by his season prior to us and his return to the PL afterwards. Pretty sure he said that he was expected to be a creative player for us when he just wasn’t that kind of player.

Some of the names though are just awful. Gayle (Did he ever play? At least we got our money back), Garner, Eggen, Jeffers aka the fox in the box.

Back