Outfield Players Taking Over In Goals

MO_TxTruBlu

Graham Roberts being the most famous I'm sure, but how many times has this happened in the past.

I can remember Davy Provan taking over for an injured Norrie Martin in a Glasgow Cup game v the filth.

I know George Young took over from George Niven in a Scottish Cup Final v Aberdeen back in 1953.

I think I remember Colin Stein going between the sticks, in a game v Kilmarnock.

Slightly off topic but I’m think a goalkeeper should only be replaced (ie sub keeper allowed on) if the original keeper is injured! Too many top teams have two great keepers. Bring back outfield players going in goal. Maybe also allow an injured keeper being replaced if all subs used?

I think teams always have an outfield player with a very basic level of goalkeeper training as a contingency in case this happens. Quite often you've got a guy who started as a youth GK anyway, which solves the problem.

I remember hearing that in the Advocaat years, Ricksen was our emergency keeper if we ran out of subs, although that's a pretty hazy memory so could well be sh1te.

Norrie Martin had to be replaced again a few months later in August, at the start of the 65-66 season when he suffered a Fractured skull at Pittodrie, in a league Cup game.
Davy Wilson took over, and Aberdeen scored twice in the last three minutes to win 2-0.

It happened to killie (I think) at Ibrox around 05/06.

Think we scored twice in at him late on.

In my time, we had Roberts replace the ordered off Woods in October 87, again replacing Woods on New Year's Day 88 at the piggery after Woods was injured with about 12 mins remaining, and then Ian Ferguson replacing Woods after half an hour against St Mirren on opening day 89/90.

Three subs were introduced mid-90s, meaning almost always your 3rd sub was a goalkeeper.

Ross McCrorie emulated Ian Ferguson in not conceding as stand in goalkeeper, and also became the only one of those listed to end up on the winning side.

(2-2, 0-2, 0-1)

I always thought it a stupid idea to replace your goalkeeper with a centre back if it became necessary.
I thought this weakened the most important position in the team because you wanted the keeper to have as little involvement as possible.
As an aside, we all know Derek Johnstone was a top class centre back, centre forward and a more than capable midfielder.
He was also the guy who would’ve taken over in goals if what happened yesterday happened ack then.

Not exactly the same situation but in the late 60s Bobby Clark was the Aberdeen goalkeeper but tried to change into an outfield player, a centre-half, when Ernie McGarr was played in goal. I think Clark played centre-half against us at Ibrox. It didn't work. He was back in goal a few weeks later.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure Steve Kirk in his Motherwell days circa 1988 scored at Tynecastle, took over in goal, and saved a penalty.

Not exactly the same situation but in the late 60s Bobby Clark was the Aberdeen goalkeeper but tried to change into an outfield player, a centre-half, when Ernie McGarr was played in goal. I think Clark played centre-half against us at Ibrox. It didn't work. He was back in goal a few weeks later.
He was actually a centre forward and played quite a few games out field McGarr kept him out for quite a while too

Was it not centre forward?

He was actually a centre forward and played quite a few games out field McGarr kept him out for quite a while too

Was it not centre forward?

In the Rangers v Aberdeen game Sept 3rd 1969, Bobby Clark came off the bench for Aberdeen, and replaced Jim Forrest............but not as a Centre Forward.
Tom McMillan, Aberdeen's Centre Half had just been Sent Off for taking a swipe at Colin Stein,
and Aberdeen sacrificed Centre Forward Jim Forrest, and brought on Bobby Clark to play Centre Half in place of McMillan.

I believe Bobby Clark made only one other appearance as an outfield player for Aberdeen's first team, and it was at Centre Half.

You are correct ,one game at Ibrox Aberdeen had Clark playing as an outfield player with McGarr in goals. Clark I think played a few games for them in the outfield but reverted back to playing as a keeper.

The St Midden game where Fergie went in goals and the cup final were both a bit strange the way we played.
When Fergie took over it was more like the team wanted to protect him and played as if we had 10 men. Never went for it the way we would have in a normal game.
In the cup final Winters was in goal, for the first half we didn't seem to want to test him. Advocaat must have given the team a rocket at half time as we scored 3in about 5 minutes, then chucked it. We should have absolutely hammered the Sheep that day.

Back