Outfield Rangers players taking over as goalie?

mdingwall

Administrator
Saw the post below on Twitter and got thinking if I had seen an outfield player taking over in the Rangers goal apart from Robbo in the Three Bears games.

francesco mistrulli‏ @framis74 10h10 hours ago
#BOTD #MorenoTorricelli of #Espanyol takes over in goal as a replacement keeper during the #Liga match between #Espanyol and #CeltaVigo 2003 @footieonthisday @RCDEspanyol @Espanyol_MD

DUNwzi2XUAAThMP.jpg

PSiN GoalkeepersBorn, GoaliesAreDifferent, theartofgoalkeeping and 6 others
0 replies5 retweets15 likes

I’m sure Rio Ferdinand went in goal for Man Utd in an away match somewhere (Newcastle?) and did alright.

Must be difficult for an outfield player to suddenly get into goalie mode during a match.

I seem to remember Wayne Rooney bust his hand somehow saving penalties in an England training session.

The 1953 Scottish Cup Final, versus Aberdeen.

Rangers keeper George Niven suffered a bad ear injury after 27 minutes and had to leave the field, head covered in bloody towels, where he needed several stitches.

Legendary Rangers captain George Young took over in goal with Rangers playing with 10 men till half time, Young in goal. The medics had patched Niven up by then, and he resumed in goal in the second half.

A Glasgow Cup game at Celtic Park, Norrie Martin got broken fingers and I think if I remember Davie Provan went into goals the game I think was a Friday night

Glenn Hoddle for Spurs. If memory serves he even started the next game due to no fit keepers at the club.
This would be early 80’s.
Mind may be playing tricks right enough!

I may well be wrong but l think Alex Miller played in every position for us at one time or another

It would be good if someone could confirm this if true,thanks.

Last edited:
I remember my dad telling me he was at a game we won at Tynecastle that Bobby Shearer had to go in goal. No idea if remembering right, or when it was.

I'm sure Roberts did it in back to back Old firm games. He did it in two anyway.

EDIT

Yes 2-2 at Ibrox 17th Oct 1987, and lost 2-0 at Celtic Park 2nd Jan 1988.

Woods injured in the second game.

A Glasgow Cup game at Celtic Park, Norrie Martin got broken fingers and I think if I remember Davie Provan went into goals the game I think was a Friday night

Glasgow Cup game v Celtic played at the end of that 64-65 season, where Davie Provan replaced Norrie Martin in Goal.
Rangers were unfortunately reduced to 9 men through injury when Rodger Hynd (ankle) was taken off and immediately went to hospital, and George McLean (gashed shin) did not reappear for the second half.
This was in the days before substitutes when the injured could not be replaced.
(Typical tactics that the recently appointed Celtic manager Jock Stein would employ to gain an advantage)

Goalkeeper Martin also suffered a broken finger, that forced him to swap shirts with Davie Provan going in goals for the start of the second half, and Martin having to play up front as an auxiliary striker for the remainder of the game.
Despite the set backs Rangers played well with winger Davy Wilson excelling at left back.
9 man Rangers in fact opened the scoring with an excellent left footed shot from Willie Henderson.
Auld scored for Celtic in 77 minutes, before Chalmers scored the winner after Gemmell's shot had struck the post.

Rangers:
Martin; Provan, Caldow; Greig, McKinnon, Hynd; Henderson, Wood, McLean, Brand, Wilson.
Scorer: Henderson (67)

Attendance: 41,000
Referee: D Weir (Glasgow)

Glasgow Cup game v Celtic played at the end of that 64-65 season, where Davie Provan replaced Norrie Martin in Goal.
Rangers were unfortunately reduced to 9 men through injury when Rodger Hynd (ankle) was taken off and immediately went to hospital, and George McLean (gashed shin) did not reappear for the second half.
This was in the days before substitutes when the injured could not be replaced.
(Typical tactics that the recently appointed Celtic manager Jock Stein would employ to gain an advantage)

Goalkeeper Martin also suffered a broken finger, that forced him to swap shirts with Davie Provan going in goals for the start of the second half, and Martin having to play up front as an auxiliary striker for the remainder of the game.
Despite the set backs Rangers played well with winger Davy Wilson excelling at left back.
9 man Rangers in fact opened the scoring with an excellent left footed shot from Willie Henderson.
Auld scored for Celtic in 77 minutes, before Chalmers scored the winner after Gemmell's shot had struck the post.

Rangers:
Martin; Provan, Caldow; Greig, McKinnon, Hynd; Henderson, Wood, McLean, Brand, Wilson.
Scorer: Henderson (67)

Attendance: 41,000
Referee: D Weir (Glasgow)
Thank Christ I was beginning to thinkin I was havering thanks

I’m sure Rio Ferdinand went in goal for Man Utd in an away match somewhere (Newcastle?) and did alright.

Must be difficult for an outfield player to suddenly get into goalie mode during a match.

A few years back when Kane was breaking through into the team he ended up in goals. After scoring a hat-trick. :D
Robbie Winters ended up in goal for the Sheep against us in the Scottish Cup Final 2000.

I seem to remember Wayne Rooney bust his hand somehow saving penalties in an England training session.

RANGERS OUTFIELD PLAYERS!!!!!!!

Not rocket science ffs.....

:D

Thank Christ I was beginning to thinkin I was havering thanks

Norrie Martin had to be replaced again a few months later in August, at the start of the 65 66 season when he suffered a Fractured skull at Pittodrie, in a league Cup game.
Davy Wilson took over, and Aberdeen scored twice in the last three minutes to win 2-0.

Norrie Martin had to be replaced again a few months later in August, at the start of the 65 66 season when he suffered a Fractured skull at Pittodrie, in a league Cup game.
Davy Wilson took over, and Aberdeen scored twice in the last three minutes to win 2-0.
Cant mind that but I was only 9, but I can mind the one against them

Ian Ferguson in the season opener against St Mirren when Kenny McDowall knocked Chris Woods into next week.

You beat me to it.

I was at that one. Couldn't think of any others, off the top of my head, other than the obvious Graham Roberts magnificent comeback 2-2 game v the tramps

I seem to recall Derek Johnstone going in goals for us when keeper had to go off injured, in the 70's sometime.

Might be havering though.

I remember my dad telling me he was at a game we won at Tynecastle that Bobby Shearer had to go in goal. No idea if remembering right, or when it was.
Hearts 1 Rangers 3 early sixties mid week game billy Ritchie carried off early in the first half

Hearts 1 Rangers 3 early sixties mid week game billy Ritchie carried off early in the first half

Sometimes I get fed up with this place. But sometimes I get my Rangers knowledge improved with posts like this :)

Thanks!

Scot Symon took over when Jerry Dawson suffered a broken leg in the Southern League Cup Final in 1944 against Hibs.
Rangers lost 5-6 on corners.
On the Young for Niven one, the amusing thing was Big Geordie squeezing into Wee George's sweater
Ancient Loyal

Scot Symon took over when Jerry Dawson suffered a broken leg in the Southern League Cup Final in 1944 against Hibs.
Rangers lost 5-6 on corners.
On the Young for Niven one, the amusing thing was Big Geordie squeezing into Wee George's sweater
Ancient Loyal

You remember the 1953 Cup Final?

Must be close to be the Elder Statesman of Follow Follow!

Are you all aware of the coincidence thread in the lounge?

If we end up with an outfield player in goal tomorrow and losing, ooft, ructions on this thread :p

There was a game at Ibrox , 2006 maybe ,i think killies keeper was sent off and an outfield player went in for the last few minutes.

He didnt do too well as he conceded twice if i remember right

I seem to recall Robert Fleck in a goalies jersey for some reason. Anyone able to confirm that I'm not delusional? :confused:

Pretty sure Colin stein took over for Gerry Neef against Kilmarnock when Gerry hurt his wrist.

I can't recall anything but I do know that John O'Shea played in every position for Man United. Goalkeeper against Spurs, Defender, Midfielder and Striker.

Can't really think of any other than Roberts. However, with regards to the OP. Toricelli could play just about anywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if he could play in goals too.

Glenn Hoddle for Spurs. If memory serves he even started the next game due to no fit keepers at the club.
This would be early 80’s.
Mind may be playing tricks right enough!
That was at Old Trafford in an FA Cup replay, started on pitch but replaced Aleksic in goals. Spurs won 1-0

Back